LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

QB Josh Rosen

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by LVJay:
I hope this dude can learn the system quick and (at the least) be a real good back up... I'm not thrilled with Mullens or Beathard

Agree, I haven't seen those plays that make QB's starters. Unfortnately. For now they are good backups and system QB's for Kyle's offense. Josh hopefully might show some spark that can challenge Jimmy and push Jimmy to be better during training cap and pre-season play. Right now neither one can really threaten Jimmy in this offense.

good backups
[ Edited by TheXFactor on Jan 22, 2021 at 7:38 AM ]
If we bring back CJ or Nick over Rosen as a backup I will be frustrated. Rosen has better talent than the two of them combined.
In his 1st 2 seasons, each year he was on the worst O-Line in football with a rookie HC.
I want to see what Kyle can do with him.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
If we bring back CJ or Nick over Rosen as a backup I will be frustrated. Rosen has better talent than the two of them combined.
In his 1st 2 seasons, each year he was on the worst O-Line in football with a rookie HC.
Agree in principle about Rosen. I haven't seen him play much. I haven't even seen his highlights from the other teams. But I think he does have more physical talent than either BeatHard and definitely Mullens.

I don' t know if we can get any compensatory draft picks for the potential loss of BeatHard or Mullens, but it would be nice. BeatHard is a Unrestricted FA, and Mullens is a restricted FA. If Kyle can develop Rosen the way he developed Mullens, we might have something there!
Agree in principle about Rosen. I haven't seen him play much. I haven't even seen his highlights from the other teams. But I think he does have more physical talent than either BeatHard and definitely Mullens.

I don' t know if we can get any compensatory draft picks for the potential loss of BeatHard or Mullens, but it would be nice. BeatHard is a Unrestricted FA, and Mullens is a restricted FA. If Kyle can develop Rosen the way he developed Mullens, we might have something there!

He puts more velocity on his INTs
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Lol
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Yeah, it takes at least a year for a pitcher to recover from Tommy John. I can't recall a QB ever getting a UCL injury.

Same here. I don't know too much about the injury, but any arm injury might affect arm strength and accuracy. He might be healthy, but if there is some sort of nerve damage or weakened ligaments - god knows what that would do to his throwing ability.
Didn't Rothlessburger have tommy John last year and played all of 2020?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Yeah, it takes at least a year for a pitcher to recover from Tommy John. I can't recall a QB ever getting a UCL injury.

Same here. I don't know too much about the injury, but any arm injury might affect arm strength and accuracy. He might be healthy, but if there is some sort of nerve damage or weakened ligaments - god knows what that would do to his throwing ability.
Didn't Rothlessburger have tommy John last year and played all of 2020?

Mullens should be good. He didn't need a Tommy John operation at all, apparently.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Well Kyle picked him off the Tampa Bay dumpster and they're in the super bowl, so hopefully he can turn those INT's into TD's.
I hope this dude can learn the system quick and (at the least) be a real good back up... I'm not thrilled with Mullens or Beathard

Agree, I haven't seen those plays that make QB's starters. Unfortnately. For now they are good backups and system QB's for Kyle's offense. Josh hopefully might show some spark that can challenge Jimmy and push Jimmy to be better during training cap and pre-season play. Right now neither one can really threaten Jimmy in this offense.

good backups

Good backups = camp fodder. Rosen has been awful as a starter, but should easily beat Mullens and Beathard in camp based on talent alone. If he can't his career is over.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

good backups

Good backups = camp fodder. Rosen has been awful as a starter, but should easily beat Mullens and Beathard in camp based on talent alone. If he can't his career is over.
Or Shanahan simply loves Mullens and Beathard over him. That cannot be dismissed seeing as how our HC develops crushes on certain players. The other guy can be better but if Shanahan loves you, it's a lifetime commitment.
[ Edited by Ark49er on Feb 2, 2021 at 3:37 PM ]

Well Kyle picked him off the Tampa Bay dumpster and they're in the super bowl, so hopefully he can turn those INT's into TD's.

Possibly, Kyle does seem to scheme open the middle of the field very well which is where (from the games I have seen of Rosen) he throws INTs off the hands of receivers. Seems like his picks are of the off the WR to the deep LB or S roaming the middle. Just not sure his game is a good fit.

Picked him off the Tampa Bay dumpster
Originally posted by Ark49er:

good backups

Or Shanahan simply loves Mullens and Beathard over him. That cannot be dismissed seeing as how our HC develops crushes on certain players. The other guy can be better but if Shanahan loves you, it's a lifetime commitment.

He also had crushes on Joe Williams and Dante Pettis. Kyle's crushes buy you time but its not in perpetuity.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Possibly, Kyle does seem to scheme open the middle of the field very well which is where (from the games I have seen of Rosen) he throws INTs off the hands of receivers. Seems like his picks are of the off the WR to the deep LB or S roaming the middle. Just not sure his game is a good fit.

Picked him off the Tampa Bay dumpster
A lot of Jimmy's and Kyles middle scheme successes is because of Kittle. Once Deebo and Aiyuk gain NFL traction, I anticipate a lot of surprised negative Jimmy fans because Jimmy will have a lot of successes outside the hashmarks and in the deep routs.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

good backups

Agree about your camp fodder comment. However he was highly touted comming into his draft, I'm hoping, as you said, Kyle can resurrect his career. If Kyle can't, no one can.

I dont think Josh has had the serious injuries that Jimmy has, and he's been in a lot of different offensive systems- if he can just get some stability and consistency in just one system, he could be a great find. I'm hoping - worse case scenario - we can squeeze a 5th round draft pick out of him a la Brieda or a 6th like Goodwin.
Once upon a time, a genius Niner coach saw in Tampa Bay a highly touted, high draft pick that was very poorly coached and a complete bust, and thought he could bring him in, coach him up properly, and make a good backup out of him. He won us a Super Bowl.

Share 49ersWebzone