LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

QB Nick Mullens is now a Viking

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Jimmy G effect in New England is gonna happen with 49ers...when they trade Mullens, he'll go on to win 3 Super Bowls with next team
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LVJay:
Jimmy G effect in New England is gonna happen with 49ers...when they trade Mullens, he'll go on to win 3 Super Bowls with next team

And 49ers only got a 2nd round pick in return.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mojave45:
Yeah guys, I just don't see a battle here. Unless CJ lays an egg and Mullins lights it up. But honestly CJ is most likely our back up QB this year. I make no major assessments when they are playing in the 4th qtr of he first preseason game. Just me though. But the good here, if it turns out there really is any is that Kyle might start a QB Factory. Train them up and and trade for picks higher than you used to draft them. I am not saying that about Mullens at the moment, but if he gets good enough to trade CJ in the future and we keep doing that.. It would be a great way for a team to stockpile some picks.

Walsh had something of a qb factory. Some QB'S that went through his program were Bono, Cavanaugh and Elvis. To the extent that Kyle can do the same thing, if he can get a couple of 7th rounders for Mullins or Henegan, we might get another Julian Taylor or Adrian Colbert.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Yeah guys, I just don't see a battle here. Unless CJ lays an egg and Mullins lights it up. But honestly CJ is most likely our back up QB this year. I make no major assessments when they are playing in the 4th qtr of he first preseason game. Just me though. But the good here, if it turns out there really is any is that Kyle might start a QB Factory. Train them up and and trade for picks higher than you used to draft them. I am not saying that about Mullens at the moment, but if he gets good enough to trade CJ in the future and we keep doing that.. It would be a great way for a team to stockpile some picks.

Walsh had something of a qb factory. Some QB'S that went through his program were Bono, Cavanaugh and Elvis. To the extent that Kyle can do the same thing, if he can get a couple of 7th rounders for Mullins or Henegan, we might get another Julian Taylor or Adrian Colbert.

Yes, Walsh did have a QB factory. If you coach up your number 2, and then trade them while bringing up your number 3 to be the back up, you can definitely get more than a 7th round pick for them if they look good when they play.

As things stand now I would definitely demand multiple 7th round picks though lol.
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Too many in here are going crazy over a meaningless preseason game against guys who won't be on NFL teams in a few weeks.

CJ was hand picked by KS and was starting games for this team as a rookie. There isn't much Mullens can do to take his job as #2 right now. Most teams also want QB's who are familiar with their system, so it's a safe bet that Mullens once again makes it to our practice squad. I just don't see him making an NFL roster unless someone losses multiple QB's to injury or horrible play and are forced to take a risk on him.

Handpicked or not by KS, the eye in the sky or the camera does not lie. CJ looked the same as last season, cement shoes, slow set up and release and a ball that is a dart or a rainbow that flutters and falls short of receiver. Good work ethic, yes. BUT his game has to show it on Sundays
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Mullens will get his but not before JG fills up the trophy case...
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Mullens will get his but not before JG fills up the trophy case...

I will take a 2nd for Mullins
Jimmy G effect in New England is gonna happen with 49ers...when they trade Mullens, he'll go on to win 3 Grey Cups with his next team

FTFY.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Jimmy G effect in New England is gonna happen with 49ers...when they trade Mullens, he'll go on to win 3 Grey Cups with his next team

FTFY.

That's more like it.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Yes, Walsh did have a QB factory. If you coach up your number 2, and then trade them while bringing up your number 3 to be the back up, you can definitely get more than a 7th round pick for them if they look good when they play.

As things stand now I would definitely demand multiple 7th round picks though lol.

I'd love for that to happen.

Having said that, can you imagine a guy like Henegan tearing up the threes like Mullins did? The guy is 6'4" and if he can show some decent arm strength and be productive in this offense, I think next year, or the year after, we can get a decent pick for him. I think it can be done because our WR threes are probably hands down better than 90% of the rest of the NFL's threes and if Henegan and Mullins are halfway decent QB's in mastering Kyle's offense - they *should* continue to dominate the the other teams DB threes for the rest of the pre-season.

I'd love for that to happen.

Having said that, can you imagine a guy like Henegan tearing up the threes like Mullins did? The guy is 6'4" and if he can show some decent arm strength and be productive in this offense, I think next year, or the year after, we can get a decent pick for him. I think it can be done because our WR threes are probably hands down better than 90% of the rest of the NFL's threes and if Henegan and Mullins are halfway decent QB's in mastering Kyle's offense - they *should* continue to dominate the the other teams DB threes for the rest of the pre-season.

That would be fun wouldn't it? But, like I said, they have to be 7th round picks!
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Too many in here are going crazy over a meaningless preseason game against guys who won't be on NFL teams in a few weeks.

CJ was hand picked by KS and was starting games for this team as a rookie. There isn't much Mullens can do to take his job as #2 right now. Most teams also want QB's who are familiar with their system, so it's a safe bet that Mullens once again makes it to our practice squad. I just don't see him making an NFL roster unless someone losses multiple QB's to injury or horrible play and are forced to take a risk on him.

Handpicked or not by KS, the eye in the sky or the camera does not lie. CJ looked the same as last season, cement shoes, slow set up and release and a ball that is a dart or a rainbow that flutters and falls short of receiver. Good work ethic, yes. BUT his game has to show it on Sundays

Every coach/GM has picked lemons.

Bill Walsh picked Reggie McGrew and he was a basket of lemons.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
That would be fun wouldn't it? But, like I said, they have to be 7th round picks!

AGree, but he has to really dominate when he plays to get those 7th picks because he's not tall at 6'1" and he is reputedly doesn't have a cannon that BeatHard does. But I tell you, he was impressive in the last game. Defensive head coaches like a Vrable likes those measurables - i.e. height and arm strength, so with Mullens - I don't think he'll be able to go to a team run by a coach with a defensive background. Most likely, the guys that would be interested him him would be offensive WCO style passing offenses run by a coach with an offensive mind and back ground. So he'll have some demand generated if he continues to improve such that if you put him on the practice squad after - say 4 games where he generates four fourth quarter comebacks, he's not going to stay there long.

Why He RegressesArm strength has never been one of Mullens' better attributes. This led to Mullens being mostly ineffective at downfield passes, relying more on short- and mid-range attempts.
https://ninernoise.com/2018/06/20/49ers-2018-series-quarterback-nick-mullens/
What he does best:

Smooth, efficient release.

Natural passer.

Consistently throws on balance and shows proper footwork for the given route combination.

Good accuracy to each level of the field but excels in quick game and intermediate routes in the middle of the field.

Anticipates throws in zone windows very well.

Good overall feel for the passing game and the type of throw needed.

Shows great touch.

Will stand in the pocket and shows good poise when the pocket closes in.

Processes well post snap.

Shows ability to eliminate a read quickly and move on to the next with poise.

Good overall understanding of defensive structures and where to go with the ball.

Biggest concerns:

Small build and stature is worrisome.

Ball speed lacks the further down the field you get.

Will force throws into tight windows that he can't make.

Not overly athletic and lacks quickness to escape pressure and make plays outside the structure of the offense given his size.

Struggled throwing accurately when pressured.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-nick-mullens-qb-southern-mississippi

Bottom line: Mullens is a very solid and productive college player. His lack of size and arm strength are two major concerns in his transition to the NFL. For what he lacks in size in arm strength, he makes up for with his accuracy, pocket poise, and ability to work through progressions and see the game clearly. Although he comes from a spread wide open offense, Mullens can play the game – and worthy of either a late round selection or UFA with a chance to make a practice squad and develop.
So if Nick Mullens get a lot of reps in this weekend's game, which he very well may, and lights it up? This would put Lynchahan or Shanalynch or whatever the name is, in a tough spot. However, they traded up for Beathard in last year's draft so I don't think he is going anywhere because it would look bad. If Beathard came in from another team into this camp this year, we might be in a different situation.
Share 49ersWebzone