• Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
He looked great out there today .

Hope we can keep him ALA Foles
Originally posted by Crown:

For sure. Teddy Bridgewater just proved the importance of that for the saints. I got full confidence in Nick Mullens with a team like we have.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Did have -3 yards rushing the ball today. Needs to work on that.

Taking negative yardage at the end of a game like that. Consider cutting tomorrow IMO. No clutch gene
Originally posted by Crown:

For sure. Teddy Bridgewater just proved the importance of that for the saints. I got full confidence in Nick Mullens with a team like we have.

Imo, the Saints will lose Bridgewater before the Niners lose BDN.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Everyone on the board be like we wouldn't have won any of those games if Mullens was the starting qb, while at the same time be like don't trade Mullens, if Jimmy gets hurt we cant win without him.

i think we would be 4-2 at worst with mullens, maybe even 6-0. JimmyG hasnt really been asked to take over a game yet. Mullens overall did a good job of making the easy throws off play action and not turning it over. He knows the system and runs it really well. I would not give up Mullens at all this year because i dont trust Jimmy's health yet and i do believe Mullens could be a Nick Foles type of backup

exactly. We are still in the playoff hunt with Mullens.
I don't think Mostert gets that td if Jimmy G was in as qb.

Also, did Kyle throw mullens out there instead of CJ to get the trade talks rolling
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Oct 27, 2019 at 11:19 PM ]
poor Nick. I wonder what look he saw as he jogged happily back to the sideline.

https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Kyle-Shanahan-assistants-tirade-Super-Bowl-LIV-NFL-15013539.php

"He calls a play, and Nick Mullens throws it to the field instead of in the boundary," Scangarello told Silver. "And he gets a completion, but it's not where Kyle wanted it to go. Nick's read wasn't bad; it just wasn't what Kyle wanted on that play. And he 'MF's me on the headset, big-time. He goes, 'I'm gonna call it again, and he better throw it there.' And so he calls it a series later, and (cornerback) Aqib Talib is playing way off, and Kyle can't tell, and so Nick throws it to the field again, not where Kyle wants it, and Kyle comes unglued on me on the headset. 'Who the hell is coaching this guy, what the ...' And he's just going crazy."

Scangarello said Mullins actually made the correct read since Talib likely would have intercepted the pass had Mullins thrown it where Shanahan wanted it, but no one said anything until 10 minutes later, when run game coordinator Mike McDaniel said over the headset, "Hey guys, wasn't that 'cloud' (route) on the boundary a good decision?"

"And it was crickets," Scangarello said. "Crickets. Now, Kyle wouldn't even remember that conversation. In the heat of the game, he acts out, because it's his way of getting his emotions out when he's calling plays so he can move on. The next day, it's like it never happened."

McDaniel said that was the very rare instance Shanahan was actually wrong.

"A lot of what we've implemented has come from his suggestions," he said. "He'll get pushback from assistant coaches when he suggests something (exotic), and we'll say, 'Wow -- that seems risky.' Then, sure enough, it turns out to be (brilliant) ... and we go, 'Damn -- every single time, the same guy has to be right.'"
[ Edited by Afrikan on Jan 29, 2020 at 7:55 PM ]
  • Jaci
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:

https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Kyle-Shanahan-assistants-tirade-Super-Bowl-LIV-NFL-15013539.php

"He calls a play, and Nick Mullens throws it to the field instead of in the boundary," Scangarello told Silver. "And he gets a completion, but it's not where Kyle wanted it to go. Nick's read wasn't bad; it just wasn't what Kyle wanted on that play. And he 'MF's me on the headset, big-time. He goes, 'I'm gonna call it again, and he better throw it there.' And so he calls it a series later, and (cornerback) Aqib Talib is playing way off, and Kyle can't tell, and so Nick throws it to the field again, not where Kyle wants it, and Kyle comes unglued on me on the headset. 'Who the hell is coaching this guy, what the ...' And he's just going crazy."

Scangarello said Mullins actually made the correct read since Talib likely would have intercepted the pass had Mullins thrown it where Shanahan wanted it, but no one said anything until 10 minutes later, when run game coordinator Mike McDaniel said over the headset, "Hey guys, wasn't that 'cloud' (route) on the boundary a good decision?"

"And it was crickets," Scangarello said. "Crickets. Now, Kyle wouldn't even remember that conversation. In the heat of the game, he acts out, because it's his way of getting his emotions out when he's calling plays so he can move on. The next day, it's like it never happened."

"A lot of what we've implemented has come from his suggestions," he said. "He'll get pushback from assistant coaches when he suggests something (exotic), and we'll say, 'Wow -- that seems risky.' Then, sure enough, it turns out to be (brilliant) ... and we go, 'Damn -- every single time, the same guy has to be right.'"

"Go Niners!"
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jaci:

"Go Niners!"
Great read!!!

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Jaci:

"Go Niners!"
Great read!!!

Yeah, it was.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Yeah, it was.

I still say, if anybody offers us a number one pick for BDN, I say take it ShanaLynch!
  • Kyzen
Good to know that Nick was making the right decisions when put in that situation. I wonder if that has anything to do with Jimmy making *bad reads* sometimes? Maybe he is forcing the play thats been called instead of making the read then deciding where to go with the ball?
Originally posted by Kyzen:
Good to know that Nick was making the right decisions when put in that situation. I wonder if that has anything to do with Jimmy making *bad reads* sometimes? Maybe he is forcing the play thats been called instead of making the read then deciding where to go with the ball?

that is a very solid point considering what we just read....
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by Kyzen:

that is a very solid point considering what we just read....

I always wondered about that too. I always felt that field vision was more important than arm strength and the ability to spot the open guy can't be overstated. Along with his scrambling ability, it's the biggest thing that makes Wilson great. All QBs are going to look for the receiver that was called in the play. Then they look for the 2nd and 3rd. The guy that can spot the open receiver or the guy that's coming open is going to make a lot of big plays.

The coach calls a play that he thinks will work but if someone misses their assignment and the play breaks down, I want a guy that can improvise and make something happen.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Jan 30, 2020 at 9:13 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone