LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 350 users in the forums

QB Nick Mullens is now a Viking

Shop 49ers game tickets
Anyone who thinks Mullens would be traded, is misjudging Lynch and Shanahan...
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Whatever shortcomings you think Mullens has, the thing he has over all the young more talented qb, is his ability to quickly read and recognized under center. That's why when you watch the more talented ones play the game, you still think... I'd rather have Mullens.

For the guy to showed up in his 2nd year with no one to 'mentor', close to teaching himself the offense, that's incredible no matter how you shake it.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Nope, just don't agree. Last yr, sure. Year before, sure. Now, when we are starting to show some potential for contending....nope. When you are lucky enough to have a guy like Mullie, he is there for when JG gets a high ankle sprain, or sore ribs. Something like that. This is exactly the kind of time one does not make a trade for Mullie.

Now CJ? Excellent time to give him some PT against Pitts. Esp with Ben and bad R elbow. Big guy, big gun, strong as a bull....no, not Ben, but CJ. But trading Mullie for a #1? No way I would do that..He is like fire insurance. If the house burns down you still get along. That's Mullie.

Personally, if Kyle had a number 1 pick (because he traded Mullens) Kyle could pick a top of the line QB in the 2020 draft *or* trade down that pick for multiple picks and *still* get a good backup QB, maybe in the 3rd or 4rth round-ish. In other words, to me, you can possibly get a future Steve YOung for that number 1 pick, or you can get another potential BeatHard or Mullens in the 4th round. Plus more picks for OLine, defense, and possibly other positions like WR and DB.

So yes, you lose Mullen's services, but a first round pick will get you a ton of draft capital that will more than offset the value of losing a good quality backup QB. If you play the odds, what is the odds of Jimmy getting another season ending ACL or Knee? For those that think it's a high percentage - you will keep Mullens, for me - I think it was a freak occurrence and I think it would be very unlikely for Jimmy to suffer another freak injury like that - I'd trade Mullens for a number 1 pick. Easily.

Jimmy doesn't have to have an ACL to miss three or four games, and if you lose them all, you miss the chance to go to the playoffs, and a shot at a Lombardi. We play to win the Lombardi's,

Drafting QB's is not a sure thing. It is very much a crap shoot.

Kyle, the quarterback guru, still has to have a qb with the mental aptitude to work with. See Beathard. And a quick mind to play in the NFL is the one thing you can not determine from collegiate experience.

We have yet to find Mullen's ceiling. You just do not know how good he can be. He might Be your Steve Young. Steve Young we traded In, not Out, and he had been a failure in Tampa.

You do not build winners in the NFL by getting rid of your good players with great attitudes. The whole idea is to do the opposite.

You also don't build winners in the NFL by having 1st round talent on the bench (assuming we could get a 1st rounder for Mullens).

Bill and Joe and Steve don't agree with you.

Bill and Joe and Steve didn't have a salary cap.

Doesn't make any difference, in my opinion. Mullens himself hardly counts anything towards the cap, and I get that you're trying to make a point of building through the draft at lower cost vs. FAs, but you're basing this off of Mullens being worth a 1st also. On the highest end, I could see Mullens worth a 2nd since Rosen was, but Rosen was also a first round pick with first round qualities that made him sought after in that area.

My opinion is the team would be better off utilizing surplus elsewhere to build draft capital instead of trading its only backup at the most important position on the team, and a guy who can execute the system at a high level. To me, that seems the most sensible because you not only gain the benefit of the draft capital, but mitigate the potential negative impact on the team if a situation arises where the backup(s) left over wind up having to start at some point.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
Anyone who thinks Mullens would be traded, is misjudging Lynch and Shanahan...

It is not going to happen. They need a quality back up who knows the scheme and can step right up if JG gets hurt or needs to be rested. Given JG's still questionable knee we need a 3rd. Nobody is getting traded any time soon.
Us fans probably have a much higher opinion of our backup QB's than most of the league. I'm guessing that if any team did show interest it might be for CJ even though Mullens has played better. They might look at his size, arm strength and mobility more favorably than Mullens. Remember, not all teams run an offense like Kyle that puts receivers in position for the QB to make easier throws. Mullens plays well in our system but teams love arm strength and size and Mullens doesn't really have either one.
Here's the reality of the situation with BDN: we have one of the best backup situations in the league, but only because Shanahan is calling the plays. In our system and with this roster, Nick could come in for Jimmy and this team would still compete for at least a .500 record. But, Nick has severe limitations, and so do other coaches. Put him with some clown like Gase or some other very average offensive mind, and he'd look like a third stringer/undrafted dude. That also puts us in a weird position, because while it might be an absolute fleecing to get a 4th for him, he may be worth more than 4th to us as insurance for Jimmy. Unless we're going to get a 2nd or something, I'm wondering if the best thing to do is just keep him through his rookie contract. Not as fair for Nick, but the best he's going to get elsewhere is the chance to compete to start for a bad team, which is maybe just a sidegrade when all is said and done.
[ Edited by kelson49er on Sep 20, 2019 at 8:25 AM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Us fans probably have a much higher opinion of our backup QB's than most of the league. I'm guessing that if any team did show interest it might be for CJ even though Mullens has played better. They might look at his size, arm strength and mobility more favorably than Mullens. Remember, not all teams run an offense like Kyle that puts receivers in position for the QB to make easier throws. Mullens plays well in our system but teams love arm strength and size and Mullens doesn't really have either one.
Mullins can win games

CJ can't
Mullens aint going anywhere. With JimmyG's injury history, we need Mullens just in case. If someone comes to us with a 1s (wont happen), then id maybe have to think about it
Mullens is in Jimmy G territory now, 2nd rounder or nothing.
he will be a restricted free agent after this season right? That would work out pretty well for us. We can slap a 1st round tender on him and if someone bites, we get a 1st. if not, we keep a very valuable backup
[ Edited by JustinNiner on Sep 20, 2019 at 11:06 AM ]

Besides. If you traded Mullens away now for a draft pick, when would you use it? Spring 2020. If you kept him all year and traded him at the end of the season, when would you use the pick? Spring 2020. And, he'd have a chance to prove himself with Kyle and our receivers.
Besides. If you traded Mullens away now for a draft pick, when would you use it? Spring 2020. If you kept him all year and traded him at the end of the season, when would you use the pick? Spring 2020. And, he'd have a chance to prove himself with Kyle and our receivers.

Unless we use it to get another player before then.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:

Unless we use it to get another player before then.

What player are you going to get for say a fourth round pick that has more value to us than Nick. By season's end, he may have proven himself to the league. Now the book on him is too small to cause anybody to part with a high pick.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Mullens aint going anywhere. With JimmyG's injury history, we need Mullens just in case. If someone comes to us with a 1s (wont happen), then id maybe have to think about it

Bingo!

Moot discussion.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

Bingo!

Moot discussion.

I think some people are so used to not having good players, they don't know what to do with them. All of a sudden, Mullens should be traded, or Pettis should be cut/traded. It's insane. Nick should be signed longterm unless he insists on being a starter and even then, we should use all leverage to hold onto him as long as possible.
Share 49ersWebzone