There are 291 users in the forums

QB Nick Mullens is now a Viking

Shop 49ers game tickets
If we have Mullen's for another year, I think keep him the remaining year and then trade him along with drafting another good backup. Don't have confidence in CJ to get the job done.
Mullens and CJ for Ramsey and their back up.
Disagree w/trading an excellent back-up.

Look at the teams who were supposed to be contending in their divisions who lost their starting QB.

They are NOT winning.

Mullins gives us a chance to keep winning.

CJ does not give us any chance.

Philly won the SBowl because they had an excellent back-up.

Nuff said.
Longer we hang on to Mullens this season the more his trade value goes up.

Don't blink Johnnie L.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Nope, just don't agree. Last yr, sure. Year before, sure. Now, when we are starting to show some potential for contending....nope. When you are lucky enough to have a guy like Mullie, he is there for when JG gets a high ankle sprain, or sore ribs. Something like that. This is exactly the kind of time one does not make a trade for Mullie.

Now CJ? Excellent time to give him some PT against Pitts. Esp with Ben and bad R elbow. Big guy, big gun, strong as a bull....no, not Ben, but CJ. But trading Mullie for a #1? No way I would do that..He is like fire insurance. If the house burns down you still get along. That's Mullie.

If some offered a first I would take it. But that is fantasy land stuff. No one is giving us a first for him. Even a second is REALLY reaching.
  • dj43
Garappolo trade set the price for a backup/potential QB1. Mullins is not likely to bring more than that. At this point, he is worth more as insurance than a 2nd or later.
Originally posted by dj43:
Garappolo trade set the price for a backup/potential QB1. Mullins is not likely to bring more than that. At this point, he is worth more as insurance than a 2nd or later.

I agree with this. Which is why if someone was crazy enough to offer a 1st I'd take it.
Originally posted by dj43:

Good take!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Whatever shortcomings you think Mullens has, the thing he has over all the young more talented qb, is his ability to quickly read and recognized under center. That's why when you watch the more talented ones play the game, you still think... I'd rather have Mullens.

For the guy to showed up in his 2nd year with no one to 'mentor', close to teaching himself the offense, that's incredible no matter how you shake it.

Nope, just don't agree. Last yr, sure. Year before, sure. Now, when we are starting to show some potential for contending....nope. When you are lucky enough to have a guy like Mullie, he is there for when JG gets a high ankle sprain, or sore ribs. Something like that. This is exactly the kind of time one does not make a trade for Mullie.

Now CJ? Excellent time to give him some PT against Pitts. Esp with Ben and bad R elbow. Big guy, big gun, strong as a bull....no, not Ben, but CJ. But trading Mullie for a #1? No way I would do that..He is like fire insurance. If the house burns down you still get along. That's Mullie.

Personally, if Kyle had a number 1 pick (because he traded Mullens) Kyle could pick a top of the line QB in the 2020 draft *or* trade down that pick for multiple picks and *still* get a good backup QB, maybe in the 3rd or 4rth round-ish. In other words, to me, you can possibly get a future Steve YOung for that number 1 pick, or you can get another potential BeatHard or Mullens in the 4th round. Plus more picks for OLine, defense, and possibly other positions like WR and DB.

So yes, you lose Mullen's services, but a first round pick will get you a ton of draft capital that will more than offset the value of losing a good quality backup QB. If you play the odds, what is the odds of Jimmy getting another season ending ACL or Knee? For those that think it's a high percentage - you will keep Mullens, for me - I think it was a freak occurrence and I think it would be very unlikely for Jimmy to suffer another freak injury like that - I'd trade Mullens for a number 1 pick. Easily.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by captveg:
If a 1st is offered you trade him for that. No brainer if you get a 1st for a backup.

i think its imperative to make sure jimmy g can actually play an NFL season first. You don't get rid of a guy who is functional when you have no idea if your starter can actually do the job for an entire NFL season.

This reminds me of the Bono/Young days.

Odds are there are other QBs that can do what Mullins did last year in this offense, but until your certain you hang on to him. I truly think Jimmy G is a rare talent with that release and 100% want him to be awesome, but Mullins is not with out his qualities too. I agree with you, if we can get picks for him...you trade him, but the 49er leadership has to realize you cant stay rebuilding for half a decade. If Jimmy G just cant stay healthy you need insurance. Right now the insurance is worth more then a draft pick. They need a solid plan C before they trade away plan B.

What if Kyle has a talent for developing QB's? Personally, as a GM, that would be a great advantage. If there is a QB talent starved team out there that will pay a kings ransom for Mullens, you've got to take that trade. I mean Alex Smith went for (I think) two very good draft picks. What if some coach out there that runs a WCO sees that Mullen's and Alex Smith - are very comparable - I think you take that trade.

But I agree, it's very unlikely Mullens will fetch anything higher than a mid round to a very low round draft pick (I doubt if BeatHard gets anything more than a 6th or 7th).
Originally posted by Giedi:
Whatever shortcomings you think Mullens has, the thing he has over all the young more talented qb, is his ability to quickly read and recognized under center. That's why when you watch the more talented ones play the game, you still think... I'd rather have Mullens.

For the guy to showed up in his 2nd year with no one to 'mentor', close to teaching himself the offense, that's incredible no matter how you shake it.

Personally, if Kyle had a number 1 pick (because he traded Mullens) Kyle could pick a top of the line QB in the 2020 draft *or* trade down that pick for multiple picks and *still* get a good backup QB, maybe in the 3rd or 4rth round-ish. In other words, to me, you can possibly get a future Steve YOung for that number 1 pick, or you can get another potential BeatHard or Mullens in the 4th round. Plus more picks for OLine, defense, and possibly other positions like WR and DB.

So yes, you lose Mullen's services, but a first round pick will get you a ton of draft capital that will more than offset the value of losing a good quality backup QB. If you play the odds, what is the odds of Jimmy getting another season ending ACL or Knee? For those that think it's a high percentage - you will keep Mullens, for me - I think it was a freak occurrence and I think it would be very unlikely for Jimmy to suffer another freak injury like that - I'd trade Mullens for a number 1 pick. Easily.

Jimmy doesn't have to have an ACL to miss three or four games, and if you lose them all, you miss the chance to go to the playoffs, and a shot at a Lombardi. We play to win the Lombardi's,

Drafting QB's is not a sure thing. It is very much a crap shoot.

Kyle, the quarterback guru, still has to have a qb with the mental aptitude to work with. See Beathard. And a quick mind to play in the NFL is the one thing you can not determine from collegiate experience.

We have yet to find Mullen's ceiling. You just do not know how good he can be. He might Be your Steve Young. Steve Young we traded In, not Out, and he had been a failure in Tampa.

You do not build winners in the NFL by getting rid of your good players with great attitudes. The whole idea is to do the opposite.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BOI49er:

Jimmy doesn't have to have an ACL to miss three or four games, and if you lose them all, you miss the chance to go to the playoffs, and a shot at a Lombardi. We play to win the Lombardi's,

Kyle, the quarterback guru, still has to have a qb with the mental aptitude to work with. See Beathard. And a quick mind to play in the NFL is the one thing you can not determine from collegiate experience.

We have yet to find Mullen's ceiling. You just do not know how good he can be. He might Be your Steve Young. Steve Young we traded In, not Out, and he had been a failure in Tampa.

You do not build winners in the NFL by getting rid of your good players with great attitudes. The whole idea is to do the opposite.

You also don't build winners in the NFL by having 1st round talent on the bench (assuming we could get a 1st rounder for Mullens).
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by BOI49er:

You also don't build winners in the NFL by having 1st round talent on the bench (assuming we could get a 1st rounder for Mullens).

Bill and Joe and Steve don't agree with you.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Furlow:

Mullen's is not worth anywhere near a 1st.

4th at best.
Share 49ersWebzone