LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

QB Nick Mullens is now a Viking

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Originally posted by FL9er:
I don't know why, but it pisses me off that people in here refer to him as "Mullins" instead of Mullens.

the overhypers comparing him to Warriors great Chris Mullins?

Microsoft's auto-correct used to do that to me and got me a couple times. I had to correct it manually each and every time. Not sure when that ended, maybe when Nick balled out last there MS updated their "don't auto-correct" list.

Ahhhh, reminds me of the day when the 49ers had a CB by the last name Rodgers...

Carlos Rogers being compared to a certain Packers great whom went to ONE super bowl with a stacked team and has never returned to one since?
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Nah, it is an age old coaching tactic to keep guys pushing. Never give anyone the job even if they have it.

true, could have just been mind-games to motivate Mullens to compete and not be complacent.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Carlos Rogers being compared to a certain Packers great whom went to ONE super bowl with a stacked team and has never returned to one since?

Are you referring to Aaron Rogers
[ Edited by Geeked on Sep 4, 2019 at 1:43 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Nah, it is an age old coaching tactic to keep guys pushing. Never give anyone the job even if they have it.

true, could have just been mind-games to motivate Mullens to compete and not be complacent.
I was thinking last night about how I'd rather have Mullens over Trubisky(at least in this offense). Trubisky makes a sweet off-schedule or broken play throw in play every game, but in regards to playing within an offense's framework on a down-to-down basis, Mullens is much better than in Trubisky.
NFL Backup Quarterback Situations, Ranked: From the Jets to the Best

The One Guy Who Has Truly Flashed Potential
1. Nick Mullens, 49ers

After bursting onto the scene in a Thursday Night Football game for the ages last season, Mullens was quietly solid for the back half of San Francisco's 2018 campaign. Mullens's ANY/A of 6.7 was 15th-best in the league among the 33 passers who registered at least 200 attempts. That may not be replicable over a larger sample size or in an offense that isn't built by Kyle Shanahan, but it was an incredibly promising level of production for the then-rookie.** To put that number into perspective, Andrew Luck registered a 5.7 ANY/A in his rookie season.

Mullens is not the next Luck, of course, but if Garoppolo ever misses time, Niners fans should feel confident in their backup. Look at the other 31 names on this list: Outside of teams with rookies on the bench, there is no other squad that can put the same faith in their backup. The Niners are the only team that wouldn't be f**ked.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/9/17/20870473/nfl-backup-quarterbacks-ranked-eli-manning-blake-bortles-josh-rosenhttps://www.theringer.com/nfl

** - It's amazing to me how many of the writers who cover the NFL miss simple things when they do these evaluations. Mullens was in his 2nd year in 2018 after being an undrafted rookie on the Practice Squad in 2017.

EDIT: Fixed a double negative.
[ Edited by captveg on Sep 17, 2019 at 1:59 PM ]
Originally posted by captveg:

1. Nick Mullens, 49ers

After bursting onto the scene in a Thursday Night Football game for the ages last season, Mullens was quietly solid for the back half of San Francisco's 2018 campaign. Mullens's ANY/A of 6.7 was 15th-best in the league among the 33 passers who registered at least 200 attempts. That may not be replicable over a larger sample size or in an offense that isn't built by Kyle Shanahan, but it was an incredibly promising level of production for the then-rookie.[**] To put that number into perspective, Andrew Luck registered a 5.7 ANY/A in his rookie season.

Mullens is not the next Luck, of course, but if Garoppolo ever misses time, Niners fans should feel confident in their backup. Look at the other 31 names on this list: Outside of teams with rookies on the bench, there is no other squad that can put the same faith in their backup. The Niners are the only team that wouldn't be f**ked.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/9/17/20870473/nfl-backup-quarterbacks-ranked-eli-manning-blake-bortles-josh-rosenhttps://www.theringer.com/nfl

** - It's amazing to me how few of the writers who cover the NFL miss simple things when they do these evaluations. Mullens was in his 2nd year in 2018 after being an undrafted rookie on the Practice Squad in 2017.

Which is why I would be really hesitant on getting rid of him until the time where he would leave us the following year because he is a FA.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Which is why I would be really hesitant on getting rid of him until the time where he would leave us the following year because he is a FA.

Agreed
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:
I was thinking last night about how I'd rather have Mullens over Trubisky(at least in this offense). Trubisky makes a sweet off-schedule or broken play throw in play every game, but in regards to playing within an offense's framework on a down-to-down basis, Mullens is much better than in Trubisky.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

1. Nick Mullens, 49ers

After bursting onto the scene in a Thursday Night Football game for the ages last season, Mullens was quietly solid for the back half of San Francisco's 2018 campaign. Mullens's ANY/A of 6.7 was 15th-best in the league among the 33 passers who registered at least 200 attempts. That may not be replicable over a larger sample size or in an offense that isn't built by Kyle Shanahan, but it was an incredibly promising level of production for the then-rookie.** To put that number into perspective, Andrew Luck registered a 5.7 ANY/A in his rookie season.

** - It's amazing to me how many of the writers who cover the NFL miss simple things when they do these evaluations. Mullens was in his 2nd year in 2018 after being an undrafted rookie on the Practice Squad in 2017.

EDIT: Fixed a double negative.
If ShanaLynch gets a trade offer where they get a first round pick for NIck, as much as I love Nick as our QB, I don't think they could ignore that kind of trade value. I know that's not likely, but still - getting a first round pick for an UDFA is pretty good. Personally, I wouldn't want to let Nick go unless a team offers somewhere in the neighborhood of a first or 2nd round pick. I think he's that good for Kyle's offense. I defer to the 'Zone trade and draft gurus - if I got my player valuations incorrect!

If a 1st is offered you trade him for that. No brainer if you get a 1st for a backup.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
If a 1st is offered you trade him for that. No brainer if you get a 1st for a backup.

Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Heroism:

Whatever shortcomings you think Mullens has, the thing he has over all the young more talented qb, is his ability to quickly read and recognized under center. That's why when you watch the more talented ones play the game, you still think... I'd rather have Mullens.

For the guy to showed up in his 2nd year with no one to 'mentor', close to teaching himself the offense, that's incredible no matter how you shake it.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 17, 2019 at 2:29 PM ]
Nope, just don't agree. Last yr, sure. Year before, sure. Now, when we are starting to show some potential for contending....nope. When you are lucky enough to have a guy like Mullie, he is there for when JG gets a high ankle sprain, or sore ribs. Something like that. This is exactly the kind of time one does not make a trade for Mullie.

Now CJ? Excellent time to give him some PT against Pitts. Esp with Ben and bad R elbow. Big guy, big gun, strong as a bull....no, not Ben, but CJ. But trading Mullie for a #1? No way I would do that..He is like fire insurance. If the house burns down you still get along. That's Mullie.

i think its imperative to make sure jimmy g can actually play an NFL season first. You don't get rid of a guy who is functional when you have no idea if your starter can actually do the job for an entire NFL season.

This reminds me of the Bono/Young days.

Odds are there are other QBs that can do what Mullins did last year in this offense, but until your certain you hang on to him. I truly think Jimmy G is a rare talent with that release and 100% want him to be awesome, but Mullins is not with out his qualities too. I agree with you, if we can get picks for him...you trade him, but the 49er leadership has to realize you cant stay rebuilding for half a decade. If Jimmy G just cant stay healthy you need insurance. Right now the insurance is worth more then a draft pick. They need a solid plan C before they trade away plan B.
Share 49ersWebzone