LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

QB Nick Mullens is now a Viking

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
He'll either make it here or at Brazzers.

He'll stick around. Sooner or later, Jed will invite him over to his Glory Hole Parties
I really like Nick. I see the same twinkle in his eyes like Brady when he started out with the Pats. Like, I can take this and be that. You hear all the help Jimmy got in 2017 to get ready. But in the back burner, Nick was busting his ass on his own studying the offense, just to be able to make the team. Incredible job.

I can't help0 but think he will some how reunite with Scangarello in Denver. Will hate to lose him if that happens
Mullens is a Dog...Tough Player who can actually pass the ball. He is a QB that can lead his teammates. Motivate the ones with potential.

But Jimmy is a special type of QB imo... I think it goes beyond stats when it comes to comparing him to other QBs.

I happy as f**k to have Mullens as our backup, compared to other backups and some starters in the league. On a playoff run, I'm happy to have Nick if need be.

But I don't understand some who feel that Mullens might be able to pass up Jimmy down the road.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Mullens is a Dog...Tough Player who can actually pass the ball. He is a QB that can lead his teammates. Motivate the ones with potential.

But Jimmy is a special type of QB imo... I think it goes beyond stats when it comes to comparing him to other QBs.

I happy as f**k to have Mullens as our backup, compared to other backups and some starters in the league. On a playoff run, I'm happy to have Nick if need be.

But I don't understand some who feel that Mullens might be able to pass up Jimmy down the road.

Well said. I agree on every point. Mullens is a great fit as backup in our system. I have faith he can step in and keep the ball moving. He is tough and talented enough to help us win if he is called on,but I don't see him eclipsing a healthy JG.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I really like Nick. I see the same twinkle in his eyes like Brady when he started out with the Pats. Like, I can take this and be that. You hear all the help Jimmy got in 2017 to get ready. But in the back burner, Nick was busting his ass on his own studying the offense, just to be able to make the team. Incredible job.

I can't help0 but think he will some how reunite with Scangarello in Denver. Will hate to lose him if that happens

Good post.

IMO he isn't going anywhere.

KS/JL both know they have to win and making the playoffs is the low bar.

We'll definitely get more wins w/Mullins
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
Im down with DBN, he showed a lot of brass coming in and balling like he did. Was it great, no, but he led our team a few times when we needed him, like past the Seahawks and the raiders...awesome. Glad he's on our side, and especially confident in him as a backup.

I think he can win a lot of games. Now you do need a more complete team surrounding him vs Jimmy, but he can move the ball with his arm. That's the most important thing, so that other teams can't tee off on the run. That always gives our team a chance to win if our team has an outstanding defense. Jimmy had nothing in 2017 and was able to go 5-0, now that's the difference between him and Mullens. Mullens can't go 5-0 without a good OLine and a good defense.

Now, even with his weak arm, if he can master the Kyle Shanahan offense and thread the needles in that 5- 15 yard area (given more experience) and improve on what NY85 pointed out regarding QB pressures. That will push Jimmy, and if Jimmy does anything stupid again like last year and blows out his ACL - Mullens will be the QB until Kyle drafts a top draft pick to replace Mullens, and it would probably take a 1st or 2nd round draft pick -- IF Mullens continues to improve the way he did from his first year to his second year -- to replace him.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mojave45:

Well said. I agree on every point. Mullens is a great fit as backup in our system. I have faith he can step in and keep the ball moving. He is tough and talented enough to help us win if he is called on,but I don't see him eclipsing a healthy JG.

He'll have to keep improving, of course, to beat Jimmy. but Jimmy is going to improve also, so its going to be interesting to see how this plays out this year, for sure.

I think he can beat Jimmy, *IF* Jimmy doesn't stay healthy and also becomes inconsistent and doesn't produced as expected (i.e. the 5-0 run he had back in 2017). Otherwise, no, I don't think he'll take Jimmy's job. I do think though, he can get Kyle a mid round pick once Mullen's 3 year contract is up. A mid round pick to Kyle is like giving kyle a high round pick (if it's used on offense).

While probably correct, I just don't see the benefit of putting a ceiling on anybody that hasn't shown one. Brady came in as a third stringer and sixth rounder, and look where he ended up.

It's competitive sports. Let them compete, and don't tell anyone they will always be behind someone else until they prove it themselves. Mullens has a competitive spirit. Let him compete with an open mind, or we will lose him, and we may need him.

If Mullens plays half the preseason snaps, and Jimmy plays none, as Kyle has said, who do you think will be the better quarterback in Tampa?
[ Edited by BOI49er on Jul 27, 2019 at 8:36 AM ]
Originally posted by BOI49er:
While probably correct, I just don't see the benefit of putting a ceiling on anybody that hasn't shown one. Brady came in as a third stringer and sixth rounder, and look where he ended up.

It's competitive sports. Let them compete, and don't tell anyone they will always be behind someone else until they prove it themselves. Mullens has a competitive spirit. Let him compete with an open mind, or we will lose him, and we may need him.

If Mullens plays half the preseason snaps, and Jimmy plays none, as Kyle has said, who do you think will be the better quarterback in Tampa?
Great post. Mullens has shown he can win executing Kyles offense, not just playing backyard ball. Similar to Jimmy, he totally turned the team around when he took over. I honestly see Mullens as Jimmy insurance.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 27, 2019 at 9:02 AM ]

Did you miss "I don't see him eclipsing a HEALTHY JG"???

Did you miss "I don't see him eclipsing a HEALTHY JG"???

No sir.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Great post. Mullens has shown he can win executing Kyles offense, not just playing backyard ball. Similar to Jimmy, he totally turned the team around when he took over. I honestly see Mullens as Jimmy insurance.
His improvement from his rookie year to Mullens 2nd year was outstanding. If Mullens can do that again this year and *next* year. I can confidently say we might have competition for starter. I mean Mullens first year he pretty much went 3 and out most of the time. When he took over from BeatHard last year, I'd say he reduced that to 40-50% (just using gut feel on it). If he can convert 3rd downs a lot better than Jimmy, I'd like to think he has a shot at being a starter, but he has to show it in real games not just in preseason.
Originally posted by Giedi:

His improvement from his rookie year to Mullens 2nd year was outstanding. If Mullens can do that again this year and *next* year. I can confidently say we might have competition for starter. I mean Mullens first year he pretty much went 3 and out most of the time. When he took over from BeatHard last year, I'd say he reduced that to 40-50% (just using gut feel on it). If he can convert 3rd downs a lot better than Jimmy, I'd like to think he has a shot at being a starter, but he has to show it in real games not just in preseason.
If JG is healthy I think it is laughable that there "will be competition" for starter". Mullins doesn't see the field in a regular game unless JG goes down or in mop up duty.
[ Edited by mojave45 on Jul 27, 2019 at 11:12 AM ]

If JG is healthy I think it is laughable that there "will be competition" for starter". Mullins doesn't see the field in a regular game unless JG goes down or in mop up duty.

Laugh all you want my friend, but Mullen's numbers where comparable, if not better than Jimmy's before he got injured. Now, if we see the pre-mega contract Jimmy, I agree with you.

Laugh all you want my friend, but Mullen's numbers where comparable, if not better than Jimmy's before he got injured. Now, if we see the pre-mega contract Jimmy, I agree with you.

Laughing is appropriate.
Share 49ersWebzone