LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 183 users in the forums

QB Nick Mullens is now a Viking

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Yes

5th round? Look at the over hyped 1st rounder vets and former vets who can still get jobs in this league.

Mark Sanchez or Nick Mullens

Geno Smith or Nick Mullens

Brock Osweiler or Nick Mullens

The 6th overall pick who is now the QBOTF for the Giants who was meh in a meh conference?

I'm not even trying, man. This is off the top of head.

OK, I weakened and looked it up and Geno Smith and Brock Osweiler were only 2nd rounders.

Looking at that list of guys, I've always stated for years there aren't 32 starting QBs in the NFL. But I can also add there aren't 32 quality backups either. To think that we have two guys, we'd have lightning in a bottle if CJ Beathard can get it together.

The Broncos have Flacco and the new pup they just drafted. I think Elway may have finally figured it out. He has to prove it to me, though, after Osweiler and others.

The Bucs have Winston and Fitzpatrick, possibly the best pure backup in the league.

The Saints have Brees and Teddy Roosewater, who didn't do well in very limited time after his massive injury.

The Browns have Mayfield and Tyrod Taylor.

I can't think of any others off the top of my head. But some teams have some decent backups; in some cases (Tampa Bay?) the backup may be better than the starter.
Yes

5th round? Look at the over hyped 1st rounder vets and former vets who can still get jobs in this league.

The 6th overall pick who is now the QBOTF for the Giants who was meh in a meh conference?

OK, I weakened and looked it up and Geno Smith and Brock Osweiler were only 2nd rounders.

Looking at that list of guys, I've always stated for years there aren't 32 starting QBs in the NFL. But I can also add there aren't 32 quality backups either. To think that we have two guys, we'd have lightning in a bottle if CJ Beathard can get it together.

The Broncos have Flacco and the new pup they just drafted. I think Elway may have finally figured it out. He has to prove it to me, though, after Osweiler and others.

The Bucs have Winston and Fitzpatrick, possibly the best pure backup in the league.

The Saints have Brees and Teddy Roosewater, who didn't do well in very limited time after his massive injury.

I can't think of any others off the top of my head. But some teams have some decent backups; in some cases (Tampa Bay?) the backup may be better than the starter.

Fitzpatrick is with the Dolphins now.
Originally posted by KittleSkittle:
Yes

Thanks. My mistake, I always get the Florida teams mixed up. They're always also-rans.

Wow. Yeah, Rosen and Fitzpatrick. That's an interesting combination. I was all set to mock the Dolphins (really mock, not football draft mock) and I can't. I like it. It's a whole lot better than what the Broncos have been throwing on the field since Manning retired, and the Giants lol.
It's hard to keep quality backup QB's these days because of the salary cap and the fact that any guy that has one or 2 good games wants a trade or opts out for free agency. With the money they pay starters now you can't blame them. I've been saying for years that the NFL should make QB's exempt from the salary cap so teams can afford to pay good backups. The QB is the most important guy on the field and a season ending injury usually means the end of playoff hopes for the team. There have been seasons where 5 or 6 teams have lost their starter by mid season. Even the Pats would be in trouble if they lost Brady. Let's face it, if they could have afforded to keep Jimmy they might not have ever traded him to us. I don't see any reason the league can't make a rule change that would improve the quality of play around the league by allowing teams to keep a quality backup. How long will it be before Cj and Nick ask for a trade or go free agent if Jimmy stays healthy.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
It's hard to keep quality backup QB's these days because of the salary cap and the fact that any guy that has one or 2 good games wants a trade or opts out for free agency. With the money they pay starters now you can't blame them. I've been saying for years that the NFL should make QB's exempt from the salary cap so teams can afford to pay good backups. The QB is the most important guy on the field and a season ending injury usually means the end of playoff hopes for the team. There have been seasons where 5 or 6 teams have lost their starter by mid season. Even the Pats would be in trouble if they lost Brady. Let's face it, if they could have afforded to keep Jimmy they might not have ever traded him to us. I don't see any reason the league can't make a rule change that would improve the quality of play around the league by allowing teams to keep a quality backup. How long will it be before Cj and Nick ask for a trade or go free agent if Jimmy stays healthy.

I agree with you, but I'm ok with the rules. For one reason. It forces teams with a good squad of QB's to enable bottom feeders to get one of them (Jimmy for example). As long as you are one of the elite teams, you'd want to hoard your QB's. If you aren't - you'll like the Eddie DeBartolo Cap rule.

Having said that, I think the cap benefits somebody like Kyle. He can spot good QB's that is sitting on another teams bench and trade for him, hopefully like Walsh traded for Steve Young. Also the shortage of good QB's enables Kyle to trade guys like BeatHard, and maybe Mullens much later in Mullens career, to QB needy teams for decent draft picks.
Yes

Thanks. My mistake, I always get the Florida teams mixed up. They're always also-rans.

Wow. Yeah, Rosen and Fitzpatrick. That's an interesting combination. I was all set to mock the Dolphins (really mock, not football draft mock) and I can't. I like it. It's a whole lot better than what the Broncos have been throwing on the field since Manning retired, and the Giants lol.

Also, Tyrod Taylor is with the Chargers.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Yes

Also, Tyrod Taylor is with the Chargers.

Geez, I'm on fire. I knew about Miami; I just screwed that up. I missed Tyrod completely.
Yes

It doesn't apply to everyone and you'd be hard pressed to do that for all 32 teams. I'd also guess that once actual football is played, we mat be ready -evaluating which teams actually have good QB situations.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
FELLAS...

NO ONE is gonna want Mullen... not as a starting QB.. he'll never be a starter.
Originally posted by 9moon:
FELLAS...

He already was, lol.

FELLAS...

He already was, lol.

Mullens did way better than anyone expected, probably why hes still underrated. His 8 game stats projected over a 16 game season are pretty impressive considering all the injuries on offense.
64.2% passing
4554 yards
26 TD's
8.3 ypa
Originally posted by Debryune:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Damn your pedestal must be sky high lol.

Nah just saying compared to other NFL qb's wives.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by NONAME:
His wife doe

She cute, but not starting QB cute.

She's a little too hairy for me tbh...
lol....... She looks as if she would be like the redhead on Wedding Crashers.

At least she is all Natural, and maybe wholesome.

I'm looking at you Jimmy.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
FELLAS...

He already was, lol.

That's cos of injury buddy... not a real starter...
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by walker807:
FELLAS...

He already was, lol.

Mullens did way better than anyone expected, probably why hes still underrated. His 8 game stats projected over a 16 game season are pretty impressive considering all the injuries on offense.
64.2% passing
4554 yards
26 TD's
8.3 ypa

you're thinking of 8 more games against the Raiders.... right???

by the way, is that Mullen or Frank Cushman??
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Damn your pedestal must be sky high lol.

Nah just saying compared to other NFL qb's wives.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by NONAME:
His wife doe

She cute, but not starting QB cute.

She's a little too hairy for me tbh...
lol....... She looks as if she would be like the redhead on Wedding Crashers.

At least she is all Natural, and maybe wholesome.

I'm looking at you Jimmy.

You guys are trippin, she is beautiful. Regardless of what other QBs wives are - she is incredible regardless.
Share 49ersWebzone