LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 297 users in the forums

QB Nick Mullens is now a Viking

Shop 49ers game tickets
BDN can't wait to see this dude in camp!!!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I want JG to take us to the promise land though I hate to say it.... BDN >>> JG
Mullens should be the clear #2 QB, he's earned it.

Beat Hard can compete for 3rd string, would even trade him for a 7th rd. pick or two bags of chips.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mcbaes72:

Beat Hard can compete for 3rd string, would even trade him for a 7th rd. pick or two bags of chips.

but can we wait untill deep into pre season before we trade cj please. my thinking is to let him take a ton of hits in camp and pre season that normally mullens and jimmy would take. then dump him.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
but can we wait untill deep into pre season before we trade cj please. my thinking is to let him take a ton of hits in camp and pre season that normally mullens and jimmy would take. then dump him.

Nahh, I want to see how Wilton does in kyles offense. I already know what BeatHard can do, and I'm not a fan.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by cciowa:

Nahh, I want to see how Wilton does in kyles offense. I already know what BeatHard can do, and I'm not a fan.
thats fine to!

Why would you trade Beathard for a 7th rounder. Yes Mullens looked better but Beathard is still better than a lot of backups and maybe even a couple of starters in the league. A guy who was picked in the 3rd round that has a couple years experience in the league is certainly worth more than that. Look at some of the crap that was drafted this year. Even the first rounders all have question marks.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Why would you trade Beathard for a 7th rounder. Yes Mullens looked better but Beathard is still better than a lot of backups and maybe even a couple of starters in the league. A guy who was picked in the 3rd round that has a couple years experience in the league is certainly worth more than that. Look at some of the crap that was drafted this year. Even the first rounders all have question marks.

Getting something is better than nothing. Also, if undrafted guys like Mullens can come in and do well, while others were drafted mid rounds like Beathard, but struggles most of the time (although he improved a little from 2017 to 2018), it's time to admit may not be cut out to run Shanny's offense.

Keep Beathard? I'm not really against it, but an UDFA QB out-performed him. If a QB desperate team wants to trade for him and give up a 6th rd or higher, I'd take that deal in a heartbeat.

CJ was 1-4 as a starter his rookie year, 0-5 his second year (trending the wrong way). He had 4 TDs to 6 INTs his rook year, 8/7 his second year.

Let's just say that you and I have vastly different opinions about CJ's value in the league.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Cuz that is all you can get for him

Originally posted by RTFirefly:
CJ was 1-4 as a starter his rookie year, 0-5 his second year (trending the wrong way). He had 4 TDs to 6 INTs his rook year, 8/7 his second year.

Let's just say that you and I have vastly different opinions about CJ's value in the league.

I didn't say he was better than Mullens but he does have experience, good size and a decent arm. maybe he isn't the right fit in the Niners offense but he might fit better in another. A QB with even limited experience is a better risk than a college QB that is mostly unknown. Mullens beating him out as an UDFA says more about Mullens being good than it does about Beathard being bad.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I didn't say he was better than Mullens but he does have experience, good size and a decent arm. maybe he isn't the right fit in the Niners offense but he might fit better in another. A QB with even limited experience is a better risk than a college QB that is mostly unknown. Mullens beating him out as an UDFA says more about Mullens being good than it does about Beathard being bad.

Wilton is 6-5 can run 4.8/40 and has (I think - and I'll defer to the Draft Nerds on this) a comparable arm. So i think its between Wilton and BeatHard for the 3rd position/practice squad slot. If BeatHard is still throwing tipped screen pass interceptions that first pre-season game, if I'm Kyle, the next day I'm trading him.
Wilton is 6-5 can run 4.8/40 and has (I think - and I'll defer to the Draft Nerds on this) a comparable arm. So i think its between Wilton and BeatHard for the 3rd position/practice squad slot. If BeatHard is still throwing tipped screen pass interceptions that first pre-season game, if I'm Kyle, the next day I'm trading him.

That would make sense but I don't have high expectations for Wilton. He wasn't very good at Michigan State and was just average at UCLA. I like his size but it takes a lot more to be a good QB. If he fits the system then maybe he could even pass up Mullens. I guess we won't really know until Kyle has a chance to work with him. Let's face it, nobody expected UDFA Mullens to be as good as he was last year so you can't really write this guy off. Kyle might uncover another gem.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Jun 5, 2019 at 1:09 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

That would make sense but I don't have high expectations for Wilton. He wasn't very good at Michigan State and was just average at UCLA. I like his size but it takes a lot more to be a good QB. If he fits the system then maybe he could even pass up Mullens. I guess we won't really know until Kyle has a chance to work with him. Let's face it, nobody expected UDFA Mullens to be as good as he was last year so you can't really write this guy off. Kyle might uncover another gem.

I certainly am hoping Kyle's uncovered another Gem. For what it's worth, I think Wilton wasn't very good in Michigan because of Harbaugh and not so much his own skill set. I love Harbaugh as a coach, but his offense - from what I've seen under HaRoman and from what I've read and seen at Michigan leaves me unimpressed with Harbaugh as an offensive coach. I read articles about them having problems on the offensive line and so on, so again it's the same old thing we had here with OLine problems and an inability to convert 3rd downs. So while Andrew Luck overcame a lot of Harbaugh's offense and became an all pro QB, I think David Shaw and Andrew's own father that were instrumental in developing Luck to be a great QB. Harbaugh is to be credited with Alex Smith's development, but really what he did was simplify the offense and have a great defense that played a safe field position strategy. Smith really didn't have to play QB when he could just hand off to Gore.
I certainly am hoping Kyle's uncovered another Gem. For what it's worth, I think Wilton wasn't very good in Michigan because of Harbaugh and not so much his own skill set. I love Harbaugh as a coach, but his offense - from what I've seen under HaRoman and from what I've read and seen at Michigan leaves me unimpressed with Harbaugh as an offensive coach. I read articles about them having problems on the offensive line and so on, so again it's the same old thing we had here with OLine problems and an inability to convert 3rd downs. So while Andrew Luck overcame a lot of Harbaugh's offense and became an all pro QB, I think David Shaw and Andrew's own father that were instrumental in developing Luck to be a great QB. Harbaugh is to be credited with Alex Smith's development, but really what he did was simplify the offense and have a great defense that played a safe field position strategy. Smith really didn't have to play QB when he could just hand off to Gore.

We're on the same page here. Harbaugh is a great coach but is strange at the same time. He runs his conservative offense out of multiple sets but usually ends up running the same play. He was always too stubborn to switch things up if something wasn't working. One thing I could never understand was why a guy like him that believes in pounding the ball, stopped running when we got the ball 1st and goal from the 7 in the SB. We had been moving the ball on the ground and they were back on their heels and suddenly they decide to pass. Anyway it will be interesting to see if Kyle can bring something out of him. Remember he had Chip at UCLA who is no passing guru either.
Share 49ersWebzone