LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

QB Nick Mullens is now a Viking

Shop 49ers game tickets
Expectations are high for Jimmy and Nick if he has to come in. That's great but I caution everyone not to expect too much from Jimmy after he missed nearly an entire season. I know we all want him to be our franchise QB and obviously so does the front office. My reason for being cautious comes from following this team and the NFL since 1954. We have seen a long list of QB's that have come in and looked good for a short period of time only to regress after they played more games and other teams learned their style and habits. Every team has seen the same thing as they try to find the 'savior'. Some of you can remember how good Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac looked in backup roles but neither one did that well when they went to other teams and became starters. There a a lot more of those type of guys than there are the true franchise guys. I hope Jimmy can be the franchise guy and I would love to see Mullins make it as a full time starter but the truth is their combined starts don't add up to a full season. I need to see 2 or 3 quality seasons then I'll be dreaming SB again. Until then I'll be hoping like the rest of you but I don't want get my expectations too high.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
^^^Agree, it IS the D where the ??? Are. CB and S, PLUS having all the DLs working together and then DBs working with LBs and LBs with DL.

On O, just a starter OG. But ??? Are really in the D. Player familiarity is a huge ???. And that just comes with time.

I think the defense will depend on whether or not we can keep Ford and Bosa healthy. If we can do that for the entire 16+ game season, we'll be in good shape and we'll add secondary help next year as well as possibly draft another edge rusher again to keep that position strong and youthful.

As for Mullens, today he had a lot of tweets from the twitter-vers regarding his near interception by Sherman. He's taking chances and getting attention. I haven't heard much from BeatHard, I wonder if that's by design or just that the Beat Writers maybe know something they're not ready to write about yet.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Expectations are high for Jimmy and Nick if he has to come in. That's great but I caution everyone not to expect too much from Jimmy after he missed nearly an entire season. I know we all want him to be our franchise QB and obviously so does the front office. My reason for being cautious comes from following this team and the NFL since 1954. We have seen a long list of QB's that have come in and looked good for a short period of time only to regress after they played more games and other teams learned their style and habits. Every team has seen the same thing as they try to find the 'savior'. Some of you can remember how good Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac looked in backup roles but neither one did that well when they went to other teams and became starters. There a a lot more of those type of guys than there are the true franchise guys. I hope Jimmy can be the franchise guy and I would love to see Mullins make it as a full time starter but the truth is their combined starts don't add up to a full season. I need to see 2 or 3 quality seasons then I'll be dreaming SB again. Until then I'll be hoping like the rest of you but I don't want get my expectations too high.

I bet if Mullen's had a decent defense with a credible pass rush, he would have beat Chicago and New York. Overall his passer rating was around 90. You can't hope for a better rookie outing than that. If you take Jimmy out of the picture and pretend we didn't have Jimmy, I'd build the offense to have a stronger run game component so that Mullens would have an easier time to play action pass, and get more tight ends to field a mid range multiple threat offense and get a WR that can be a dual TE/WR/RB to really enhance the quick release of Nick Mullens.

Boy that sure sound like how they drafted this year, didn't they.
I see a lot of post in this thread talking about a change of play calling for Mullins. I think some people are just dissmissing the QBs preference. For example, Alex Smith didn't spend a season running check down only plays. A different QB in that same offense would have looked different ( and likely throwing a crap ton more picks with the talent he was surrounded with)

I was blessed enough to be able to attend an Al Borges passing clinic when he was with Auburn, and was shocked how complex Al Borges version of the WCO was to the stuff we ran in high school. Every single play call had 3-5-7 step drop reads. You can call a play and have it be a quick slant or a long bomb to the FB out of the same exact play, its all based on the defense and the lines ability to block. It was complex, heady stuff. For example on several of the plays the TE existed only to screen off LBers to create RAC space for the slant, and he didn't become a viable passing target until later in the progression if time permitted. There was a lot positioning on pass plays that are more akin to screen plays.Linemen were tasked with getting the DL's hands down to create passing lanes. A lot of the placation stuff, was to get the Dines hands down more then misdirection. Skill position players were in spots to limit the defense ability to flow to the ball. Watching from the stands, you might think why cant this dude hit a wide open guy, but in the offense, that dude was never looking for the ball to be thrown to him after the first 2 seconds, he was already angling for the FS to be a screen blocker. Fans might think why does the team keep calling these 5 and 7 step plays when we know the line cant block, and the truth of it is the QB missed his opportunity to deliver the ball in rhythm at 3. Its not the play, its the execution. When these timing offenses are working, you get a symphony in motion.

I really do think Mullins last year was a guy who understood every facet of the offense, not a guy who had a dumbed down playbook. He might not have JG skill set, but the dude understands how to keep the offense moving. He has the chess player are of his job down pat.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Which leads right to Nick Mullens. He blew a LOT of people away with his play last year, and 3-5 record notwithstanding, played outstanding football and threw for over 2,200 yards and 13 touchdowns in 8 games. Which of course projects to 4,500 yards and 26 TDs over the course of 16 games. Good enough for 6th in the league in passing yards per game.
https://ninersforever.com/page/4/
Interesting stats for BDN.

Originally posted by Giedi:
Which leads right to Nick Mullens. He blew a LOT of people away with his play last year, and 3-5 record notwithstanding, played outstanding football and threw for over 2,200 yards and 13 touchdowns in 8 games. Which of course projects to 4,500 yards and 26 TDs over the course of 16 games. Good enough for 6th in the league in passing yards per game.
https://ninersforever.com/page/4/
Interesting stats for BDN.

BDN
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
BDN
Mullens connected with Kittle and Deebo Samuel on deep throws to the left during the first team period. Samuel took off up the right sideline on a jet sweep in the same drill. The rookie has been very active in both open practices thus far.
https://www.49ers.com/news/10-highlights-from-49ers-otas-may-29
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I bet if Mullen's had a decent defense with a credible pass rush, he would have beat Chicago and New York. Overall his passer rating was around 90. You can't hope for a better rookie outing than that. If you take Jimmy out of the picture and pretend we didn't have Jimmy, I'd build the offense to have a stronger run game component so that Mullens would have an easier time to play action pass, and get more tight ends to field a mid range multiple threat offense and get a WR that can be a dual TE/WR/RB to really enhance the quick release of Nick Mullens.

Boy that sure sound like how they drafted this year, didn't they.

The thing is, Mullens wasn't really a rookie. No one drafted him in 2017. We put him on the PS and subjected him to waivers. No one took him off of waivers.
Cue 2018: we put him on the PS again and subjected him to waivers again. No one took him off of waivers again.

He was only promoted after Jimmy G. was hurt and we still had him behind 3rd rounder CJ LoseOften. For Mullens to have done what he did is surely a diamond in the rough.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
The thing is, Mullens wasn't really a rookie. No one drafted him in 2017. We put him on the PS and subjected him to waivers. No one took him off of waivers.
Cue 2018: we put him on the PS again and subjected him to waivers again. No one took him off of waivers again.

He was only promoted after Jimmy G. was hurt and we still had him behind 3rd rounder CJ LoseOften. For Mullens to have done what he did is surely a diamond in the rough.

Personally, I think Kyle developing Mullens is pretty much hitting a lottery pick. I mean I think it's that good. You are right he wasn't a rookie because he was really a 2nd year player and a practice squadder at that for most of his career here before he started. I'm pretty sure, if Mullens is traded (and no I don't advocate that at all - I'd rather have CJ BeatenHard traded) Mullen's is going to fetch a pretty good solid draft pick for his services.

Personally, I think Kyle developing Mullens is pretty much hitting a lottery pick. I mean I think it's that good. You are right he wasn't a rookie because he was really a 2nd year player and a practice squadder at that for most of his career here before he started. I'm pretty sure, if Mullens is traded (and no I don't advocate that at all - I'd rather have CJ BeatenHard traded) Mullen's is going to fetch a pretty good solid draft pick for his services.

Considering what all others in the NFL thought of him, and how he responded when given the chance to start, I'd say his future is a real open book. I won't even attempt to predict it.

Considering what all others in the NFL thought of him, and how he responded when given the chance to start, I'd say his future is a real open book. I won't even attempt to predict it.

Just like how Baker Mayfield walked on and earned the starting job, it says a lot about a player who is against all odds and doesn't accept just not to mess up when the opportunity is there. CJ plays not to mess up. Mullens plays with moxy. So does Jimmy G.
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Just like how Baker Mayfield walked on and earned the starting job, it says a lot about a player who is against all odds and doesn't accept just not to mess up when the opportunity is there. CJ plays not to mess up. Mullens plays with moxy. So does Jimmy G.

Good post. That's part of the "it"-factor with Jimmy G.
Originally posted by 91til:

Good post. That's part of the "it"-factor with Jimmy G.

Not that there's anything wrong with playing not to mess up, it just takes longer to perform well...I mean, if you know future opportunities will be abundant...like for some 1st round draft pick...Slex Mith-ay.

Baker Mayfield was the #1 pick in the draft. Nick Mullens went undrafted by all 32 teams and not picked up in the two seasons he was available on waivers.
Slight difference.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

He'll be here for a while. I don't see him leaving us, not until Jimmy can prove he's durable enough to last a whole season. He really is a good QB. He doesn't have the legs of a Steve Young or the Arm of a Kaepernick but he can play QB, definitely. You can build a winning team around him. As for that Arm, I think there's ways to develop arm strength - but it doesn't happen overnight. I think Brady is a good example of a QB without the rocket arm in the beginning, that eventually after years of work, has a pretty good arm now. Mullen's doesn't need to run if he has a good run game supporting him. Those bootlegs would be deadly if you have an Erick Dickerson/Saquon Barkley with him on the team.
Share 49ersWebzone