49ers release S Adrian Colbert-Round 7, Pick 229

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
ready to give up that 80 yd td.

Yeah, only garbage safeties give up TD's vs a PIN concept. Steve At water got burned for 3 in the 1989 SB off a PIN concept. What a bum he was. Never did anything in the league.

I see what you did there...

bypassing the swear filter. Shame!
Heard he's going back to #38
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Heard he's going back to #38

I always liked Ronnie
this is one guy, who, if he just gets it all together, plays like he did two seasons ago...at least towards the last half of the season....could really change our D outcome. Whether we get Bosa or Allen, and if Nick is not there at #2, and we trade down for another DE, plus addition of Dee Ford, Kwon cleaning up our horrid mess across the middle....we could have one outstanding yr.

Sophomore slump is something i never understood, but i can see a guy playing on his own intuition in yr 1, learning how he supposed to play in yr 2, and then making a hash of things until all new knowledge is retained, blended in, and wa-lah. A new product.

And that is where i am hoping AC ends up. Last half of 2017 he really looked like a jewel, but rough. Then last yr, he fell off a cliff. Awful. But we saw a somewhat protracted flash of what's to come, and he learned what he should have learned in 2017.

With a bit of luck, maybe, just maybe, this all comes together this yr into a bright new shiny model. Man would it ever be nice to have someone other than an about to be done uncle sherm in the D backfield. I thot we had the guy in 2017. Last yr went backwards. This yr is fresh start. Pray for the shiny model.
He started to learn the position in year 2, and lost that instinct we've seen in that first year. Another offseason camp should help.
1st year AC =
2nd year AC =
3rd year AC = ?
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
He started to learn the position in year 2, and lost that instinct we've seen in that first year. Another offseason camp should help.

Yeah and I think it was more than that given the entire secondary seemed confused on assignments. I think that's why Woods is here now. The FO seems to think our secondary is fine and should be better with a pass rush.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah and I think it was more than that given the entire secondary seemed confused on assignments. I think that's why Woods is here now. The FO seems to think our secondary is fine and should be better with a pass rush.

I don't know about that, NC. I think the free safety's responsibilities in this scheme are straight forward and simple: first and foremost, no seams, no posts; deep as the deepest; redline to redline if you can(an imaginary line 5 years from the boundary). I've heard Pete Carroll, Dan Quinn and Robert Saleh all repeat those exact lines to describe the free safety's responsibilities.

Stuff like this isn't confusing. This is a flat out egregious. A really bad, really dumb and really undisciplined play. And to make matters worse, he sees this play every day in practice. This is literally the quintessential Kyle Shanahan play.

[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 13, 2019 at 10:56 AM ]

I think he played FS at Texas for 3 years, so the position shouldn't be that new. He just wasn't too special, which is why he transferred to Miami for has last year of eligibility. Even then, he wasn't too special as a CB there. For him, it's all about unlocking the size and speed potential. Hopefully, we see some progress. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a FS though.

• jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
this is one guy, who, if he just gets it all together, plays like he did two seasons ago...at least towards the last half of the season....could really change our D outcome. Whether we get Bosa or Allen, and if Nick is not there at #2, and we trade down for another DE, plus addition of Dee Ford, Kwon cleaning up our horrid mess across the middle....we could have one outstanding yr.

Sophomore slump is something i never understood, but i can see a guy playing on his own intuition in yr 1, learning how he supposed to play in yr 2, and then making a hash of things until all new knowledge is retained, blended in, and wa-lah. A new product.

And that is where i am hoping AC ends up. Last half of 2017 he really looked like a jewel, but rough. Then last yr, he fell off a cliff. Awful. But we saw a somewhat protracted flash of what's to come, and he learned what he should have learned in 2017.

With a bit of luck, maybe, just maybe, this all comes together this yr into a bright new shiny model. Man would it ever be nice to have someone other than an about to be done uncle sherm in the D backfield. I thot we had the guy in 2017. Last yr went backwards. This yr is fresh start. Pray for the shiny model.
I wonder how much of his decline came from playing with tartt instead of Reid who was directing the dbs during that stretch when Colbert looked like a world beater.
Originally posted by zonkers:

I think he played FS at Texas for 3 years, so the position shouldn't be that new. He just wasn't too special, which is why he transferred to Miami for has last year of eligibility. Even then, he wasn't too special as a CB there. For him, it's all about unlocking the size and speed potential. Hopefully, we see some progress. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a FS though.

Late round draft pick safeties like AC usually need time to develope as long as they have the physical tools and instinct. I keep thinking of Dashaun Goldson developmental process. He was a 4th round pick saftey. Took him 2 years to became a starter. Up and down the next 2 years as starter. And became a ProBowler in his 3rd yr.

I think they put AC in as starter too soon. Ideally you want a vet saftey along with AC to lessen the mistakes and tame the aggressive play. Hopefully he'll get enough experience to recognize quicker what's happening as plays unfold and know what's coming.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Apr 13, 2019 at 11:58 AM ]
I Don't have near the confidence in our safety's that the front office or some here do.
I'm really hoping for one @36 but I'm sure I will be disappointed.
Originally posted by Heroism:

I don't know about that, NC. I think the free safety's responsibilities in this scheme are straight forward and simple: first and foremost, no seams, no posts; deep as the deepest; redline to redline if you can(an imaginary line 5 years from the boundary). I've heard Pete Carroll, Dan Quinn and Robert Saleh all repeat those exact lines to describe the free safety's responsibilities.

Stuff like this isn't confusing. This is a flat out egregious. A really bad, really dumb and really undisciplined play. And to make matters worse, he sees this play every day in practice. This is literally the quintessential Kyle Shanahan play.

Yeah your overall principle is truth. FS should probably be the easiest mentally to handle esp. in this scheme. I was speaking to everyone in the secondary blowing coverages at one time or another...maybe confusion on relaying the calls from Warner, maybe a new install that week, maybe post snap poor communication, player-only confusion, etc...whatever it was, it seemed pretty universal for this group.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 13, 2019 at 3:38 PM ]
Yeah your overall principle is truth. FS should probably be the easiest mentally to handle esp. in this scheme. I was speaking to everyone in the secondary blowing coverages at one time or another...maybe confusion on relaying the calls from Warner, maybe a new install that week, maybe post snap poor communication, player-only confusion, etc...whatever it was, it seemed pretty universal for this group.

Early in the season, Kyle insinuated that some of the second-year guys didn't work as hard coming into the 2018 year as they did as rookies. He harped on guys mistakenly believing they've arrived and how that attitude is detrimental to their play.

I have a feeling he was specifically speaking about Ahkello Witherspoon and Adrian Colbert.
Share 49ersWebzone