There are 238 users in the forums

49ers release S Adrian Colbert-Round 7, Pick 229

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah your overall principle is truth. FS should probably be the easiest mentally to handle esp. in this scheme. I was speaking to everyone in the secondary blowing coverages at one time or another...maybe confusion on relaying the calls from Warner, maybe a new install that week, maybe post snap poor communication, player-only confusion, etc...whatever it was, it seemed pretty universal for this group.

Early in the season, Kyle insinuated that some of the second-year guys didn't work as hard coming into the 2018 year as they did as rookies. He harped on guys mistakenly believing they've arrived and how that attitude is detrimental to their play.

I have a feeling he was specifically speaking about Ahkello Witherspoon and Adrian Colbert.

I remember that and that's possible...really big heads and I know Kyle said his regret was not getting enough challengers for some of these guys. I think that should change with Verrett. Maybe if we draft a higher end FS.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Yeah your overall principle is truth. FS should probably be the easiest mentally to handle esp. in this scheme. I was speaking to everyone in the secondary blowing coverages at one time or another...maybe confusion on relaying the calls from Warner, maybe a new install that week, maybe post snap poor communication, player-only confusion, etc...whatever it was, it seemed pretty universal for this group.

Early in the season, Kyle insinuated that some of the second-year guys didn't work as hard coming into the 2018 year as they did as rookies. He harped on guys mistakenly believing they've arrived and how that attitude is detrimental to their play.

I have a feeling he was specifically speaking about Ahkello Witherspoon and Adrian Colbert.
Could also be referring to Trent Taylor who accomplished absolutely nothing his second season
Originally posted by jcs:

Could also be referring to Trent Taylor who accomplished absolutely nothing his second season

Offseason back surgery probably played a role in that
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by zonkers:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
He started to learn the position in year 2, and lost that instinct we've seen in that first year. Another offseason camp should help.

I think he played FS at Texas for 3 years, so the position shouldn't be that new. He just wasn't too special, which is why he transferred to Miami for has last year of eligibility. Even then, he wasn't too special as a CB there. For him, it's all about unlocking the size and speed potential. Hopefully, we see some progress. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a FS though.

Late round draft pick safeties like AC usually need time to develope as long as they have the physical tools and instinct. I keep thinking of Dashaun Goldson developmental process. He was a 4th round pick saftey. Took him 2 years to became a starter. Up and down the next 2 years as starter. And became a ProBowler in his 3rd yr.

I think they put AC in as starter too soon. Ideally you want a vet saftey along with AC to lessen the mistakes and tame the aggressive play. Hopefully he'll get enough experience to recognize quicker what's happening as plays unfold and know what's coming.

Good points all, and here's another:

Our DC was green as grass, and did well with one LB... the Reuben thing had nothing to do with Saleh. But DL and DBs did, and no question our our DB coach and same for Zgonina , did awful jobs.. i am hoping Joe Woods and Kocurek make those nightmares go away., esp at DB. The coaching, or lack thereof just has to be better.

I will admit to the possibility of a fuster cluck on D when we have a LB coach as the DC, and ostensibly calling plays, but also a DB coach and a DL coach who can call plays. Umm....this sound like a potential for mass chaos and pandemonium. If that should happen and i hope it doesn't, i would hope JL/KS take immediate action and make things right....no point in explaining them. But if that doesn't work someone else needs to lead the parade.

The potential for problems is simple . If Woods thinks it is a good down to call a blitz, how does the DL know that? Or if saleh calls a blitz...which happened rarely... how does the DL and DB coach know WTF is going on if they are calling their own D sets. Maybe this works but until i see it, IDK. Sounds made certain to cause problems. Hopefully it is all worked out aforehand.

I would be disappointed if saleh called the D this yr, because he didn't seem inclined to call blitzes. OTOH if you got no more than 2 D starters, maybe that was all that could be done. I do not expect to recognize our D this yr...and that is a good thing. But i sure would like to see us blitz this yr, and LB, DB, and DL coaches and players all have to be on the same page for that to work. That's the disconnect i see with 3 guys able to call plays.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Apr 14, 2019 at 4:17 PM ]
Just like Kocurek is focusing on Solly, I hope Woods helps Colbert more. We need him to start over Jimmie.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Just like Kocurek is focusing on Solly, I hope Woods helps Colbert more. We need him to start over Jimmie.

This, I personally think the kid works too hard to fail, but we'll see.

He was injured, complications from back surgery if im not mistaken.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

And Colbert was healthy last year?
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

This, I personally think the kid works too hard to fail, but we'll see.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

And Colbert was healthy last year?

YOU referenced Taylor and I responded accordingly

I would start an inflatable stop sign in the middle of the field over Ward
Originally posted by jonnydel:

lol

Great point. Woods probably just said "Give em to me. I got this."
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Nailed it.

I agree. Ahkello trained with Sherm and other prestigious corners, probably inflated his head a little bit. Hopefully he settled down cause he has shown he can be a good corner.

Colbert also, he pretty much got handed the starting job and i'm worried because we didn't really address the position yet. I hope we can find a solid safety in the draft to compete or outright take the job. I do like Colbert though and hope he brings it if he becomes the starter.
Share 49ersWebzone