There are 206 users in the forums

49ers release S Adrian Colbert-Round 7, Pick 229

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Colbert needs to worry about how he can get his job back from Marcell Harris.. Harris, IMO is already the better player and he's got better overall instinct for the short period of time that he's gotten on the field.

AC got tossed under the bus for that big play PIN concept he gave up against ARI. But one must remember every safety for the past 30 years has been burned by that play at least once. Joe Montana destroyed Steve At**ter with that concept about 4 or 5 times in the SB. I don't think anyone would say At**ter was a bum.

I've seen Earl Thomad get burned by that concept too.

I still believe in AC. I think he has huge upside and has showed a rare range that can make him a special player.

I think the falloff of Reuben Foster really hurt him. This matching zone requires smart, fast LB's who can help against that intermediate area. Foster was the man in 2017 with that and AC was able to play center field.

Wasn't the same in 2018 and we also had some horrid tackling underneath that made our whole secondary start biting on short stuff.

Not sure why it's censoring A T W A T E R

Wait, nope, I see now, lol
"If" we sign E.Thomas I could see Colbert moving back to CB
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Marcell Harris will beat him out even for the backup job, If we sign Thomas this dude will get cut in August

Harris is a SS, you're playing him closer to the line of scrimmage. Colbert is a FS, you're going to play him deep. Each fulfills different roles on this defense.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
ready to give up that 80 yd td.

Yeah, only garbage safeties give up TD's vs a PIN concept. Steve At water got burned for 3 in the 1989 SB off a PIN concept. What a bum he was. Never did anything in the league.
  • dj43

Yeah, only garbage safeties give up TD's vs a PIN concept. Steve At water got burned for 3 in the 1989 SB off a PIN concept. What a bum he was. Never did anything in the league.

I see what you did there...
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Marcell Harris will beat him out even for the backup job, If we sign Thomas this dude will get cut in August

Harris is a SS, you're playing him closer to the line of scrimmage. Colbert is a FS, you're going to play him deep. Each fulfills different roles on this defense.

100% correct but I can't help but think Colbert with the way he flies to the ball with impact maybe he's better suited at SS, after last year I think he'd be better covering backs and TEs..
Oh this is why he had a tough year.

so my statement still holds true... cool.
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Mar 7, 2019 at 2:29 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

haha
I dno how this dude fell off so much before his injury.
Originally posted by KittleMeThis:
I dno how this dude fell off so much before his injury.

Everyone fell off significantly. Outside of Buckner and the new players like Sherman and Warner, did anyone else on defense elevate from the previous year?

Would certainly be a very welcome sight to see Colbert, Witherspoon and Taylor have major turnaround seasons after last years disappointments...and Solomon Thomas to step up in a big way...after hopefully being moved inside.

Assuming we draft Bosa if at least the defensive guys from that 2017 draft could break out it could give us a top 10 defense again. But will they is another question. Colbert definitely looked like he had talent as a rookie. Hopefully Saleh doesn't get in the way.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
that was it though, Colbert had a very good rookie year, then he thought he was an All Pro all of a sudden..

Should of stayed 38.
Originally posted by babarvaart:

haha

Good news, by the end of July at the start of TC he should be 119% then..
[ Edited by 808niner4lyphe on Mar 28, 2019 at 2:55 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone