LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

49ers release S Adrian Colbert-Round 7, Pick 229

Shop 49ers game tickets
I like the fire didn't back down vs dez
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I barely noticed this guy, too busy getting pissed off about Elliot running over the defense!!
  • KiwiM
  • Veteran
Colbert has a real chance to shine at Free Safety the rest of the season (staying healthy would be a good start as that is something Ward really struggles with)

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/111425-robert-saleh-new-starting-safety-adrian-colbert-something/

On Thursday, 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh spoke to reporters about his young safety and shared what makes him so special.

"He's relentless in his work ethic and his preparation," Saleh said. "I love the way he hits. He's a very physical football player, and it's very important to him. I don't know if it's a chip (on his shoulder) as much as it is important where every rep, every play, every meeting, is very, very important. He's very into it, and he has something to prove, for sure."
While Colbert brings a great work ethic and physicality to the 49ers defense, Saleh believes the rookie needs to improve in one other area.

"He's got great range in the middle of the field," Saleh said. "He's got what I'll call -- professional -- he's a professional safety. He's a professional football player in that he can go red line to red line and cover ... It just shows that he is an NFL-caliber safety. His tracking angles in space when that ball does reach that second level -- we call him the eraser to erase all the issues that might happen in the run game -- he has the ability to track in space which makes him a really good special teams player.

"Now, the last part that we're trying to get to is mental. If he can get to that mental speed, we feel like he might be able to be a pretty good safety. But that's the last part of it."
The 49ers originally intended to use Colbert as a cornerback because of need and perceived fit. Once he moved to safety, the rookie began to shine, and the coaching staff quickly took notice.

"We knew the speed; we know the physicality (coming out of college)," Saleh said. "We knew that he was a really good tackler and all that stuff. So we did have him at corner, initially, just because of the way the roster had panned out when we had first gotten him. When he had his opportunity to go play safety, we were able to see some of the things that he was able to do, some of the things that we like out of a free safety. Leaving him in that spot and giving him a chance to go play it, it's kind of; I guess you could say, 'evolved.'"
[ Edited by KiwiM on Nov 9, 2017 at 2:56 PM ]
Originally posted by KiwiM:
Colbert has a real chance to shine at Free Safety the rest of the season (staying healthy would be a good start as that is something Ward really struggles with)

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/111425-robert-saleh-new-starting-safety-adrian-colbert-something/

On Thursday, 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh spoke to reporters about his young safety and shared what makes him so special.

"He's relentless in his work ethic and his preparation," Saleh said. "I love the way he hits. He's a very physical football player, and it's very important to him. I don't know if it's a chip (on his shoulder) as much as it is important where every rep, every play, every meeting, is very, very important. He's very into it, and he has something to prove, for sure."
While Colbert brings a great work ethic and physicality to the 49ers defense, Saleh believes the rookie needs to improve in one other area.

"He's got great range in the middle of the field," Saleh said. "He's got what I'll call -- professional -- he's a professional safety. He's a professional football player in that he can go red line to red line and cover ... It just shows that he is an NFL-caliber safety. His tracking angles in space when that ball does reach that second level -- we call him the eraser to erase all the issues that might happen in the run game -- he has the ability to track in space which makes him a really good special teams player.

"Now, the last part that we're trying to get to is mental. If he can get to that mental speed, we feel like he might be able to be a pretty good safety. But that's the last part of it."
The 49ers originally intended to use Colbert as a cornerback because of need and perceived fit. Once he moved to safety, the rookie began to shine, and the coaching staff quickly took notice.

"We knew the speed; we know the physicality (coming out of college)," Saleh said. "We knew that he was a really good tackler and all that stuff. So we did have him at corner, initially, just because of the way the roster had panned out when we had first gotten him. When he had his opportunity to go play safety, we were able to see some of the things that he was able to do, some of the things that we like out of a free safety. Leaving him in that spot and giving him a chance to go play it, it's kind of; I guess you could say, 'evolved.'"

Pulling for this guy. Already doing pretty well for a 7th Rd pick. Has to make sure he wraps up on his tackles (didn't once or twice last week) but he otherwise looks pretty active out there with ball skills in the secondary. This is his opportunity.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
I think he ends up playing way more than anyone thinks. Everyone ahead of him are Baalke players destined for IR

I do believe you called this one
yo thl(I wish this forum had a tagging feature),

any chance we can get an all-22 gif of the PBU Colbert had? It looked impressive on the TV.
It would be awesome if Colbert is able to take over the reigns at FS and keep the job going forward. It would allow Ward to go back to DB, and perhaps actually stay healthy? Tartt could play SS, or we could bring Reid back to play SS and have Tartt back up both safeties?
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AlexCat49er:
Maybe our best player out of this years draft class. Not sure if that speaks very highly of Lynch's drafting prowess.

And you are basing this off of how many defensive snaps you have seen him play?
It's way too early to judge the 2017 draft...check it out in a year or two. As for Colbert, he's got the size, athleticism & speed to become quite a player, so this is a big opportunity for him.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
It would be awesome if Colbert is able to take over the reigns at FS and keep the job going forward. It would allow Ward to go back to DB, and perhaps actually stay healthy? Tartt could play SS, or we could bring Reid back to play SS and have Tartt back up both safeties?

Tartt was actually out playing Reid. I'd rather hand the reigns over to the younger player and save that money towards Reid to improving other areas of the team.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Nov 9, 2017 at 6:21 PM ]

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
hopefully he takes s**tty Ward's spot.
I like Colbert. He's got some real talent.
Pulling for him. He just needs to learn how to wrap up more consistently. I expected him to be a good ST player and so far hes part of the reason why our return coverage is so good.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Pulling for him. He just needs to learn how to wrap up more consistently. I expected him to be a good ST player and so far hes part of the reason why our return coverage is so good.

+1. I remember i was pulling him to make the roster due to his versatility. Hope its his blessing in disguise.
  • thl408
Share 49ersWebzone