LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

49ers release S Adrian Colbert-Round 7, Pick 229

Shop 49ers game tickets
I like this pick. Definitely liked what I saw from his highlights. You can tell he watches his film and preps for his opponents. There was a play where he blew up a blocker on a WR screen and got a TFL. He seems like an aggressive player that should get a start on ST. I feel like he may be this year's surprise pick for us.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
With his sub 4.4 speed he can be the future FS of Ward doesn't plan out or gets injured either way a 7th round prospect with upside.

Yep. Just like with perennial bowler Taylor Mays, everyone knows that the only thing that matters when it comes to being a great free safety is being really fast.

Mays should have been moved to OLB in the first place given his size and speed.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
With his sub 4.4 speed he can be the future FS of Ward doesn't plan out or gets injured either way a 7th round prospect with upside.

Yep. Just like with perennial bowler Taylor Mays, everyone knows that the only thing that matters when it comes to being a great free safety is being really fast.

Mays should have been moved to OLB in the first place given his size and speed.

We shouldn't have drafted him. His own college coach, Carroll, didn't draft Mays to play the exact role Mays played in college for Carroll. It was a dumb pick and I dare say most of us knew it the second it was made.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
We shouldn't have drafted him. His own college coach, Carroll, didn't draft Mays to play the exact role Mays played in college for Carroll. It was a dumb pick and I dare say most of us knew it the second it was made.

Sing banging on the desk for him...PTSD for most of us
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

Sing banging on the desk for him...PTSD for most of us

Should've added a lil weight and been in at ILB at the time but he shoulda played WIlLL in a 4-3..probably tried haha,obviously didn't get it done. Boy I was so excited for him not gonna lie.
So, he's wearing #47 at the moment. Not like he has any pressure on him lols....

Was crossing my fingers for Ejuan Price or Joe Mathis, but I'm unusually optimistic about this pick.

Good size at 6'2" 205lbs, 4.4 speed, safety and corner back experience, and not afraid to lay the wood but is also a sure tackler. Only watched highlights, but instincts appear pretty good..

Colbert played in just seven games for Miami in 2016, lining up almost exclusively at outside corner. He picked off one pass, broke up three others, and allowed just one score. Colbert also allowed an average of just 2.7 yards after the catch, tied for the 10th-lowest average in the cornerback class. — Matt Claassen, @PFF_Matt
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Was crossing my fingers for Ejuan Price or Joe Mathis, but I'm unusually optimistic about this pick.

Good size at 6'2" 205lbs, 4.4 speed, safety and corner back experience, and not afraid to lay the wood but is also a sure tackler. Only watched highlights, but instincts appear pretty good..

Colbert played in just seven games for Miami in 2016, lining up almost exclusively at outside corner. He picked off one pass, broke up three others, and allowed just one score. Colbert also allowed an average of just 2.7 yards after the catch, tied for the 10th-lowest average in the cornerback class. — Matt Claassen, @PFF_Matt

Very nice. Seems like he can earn a roster spot and push for snaps at CB and also backup Ward. Along with ST I think he makes the team now.
I would like to see Reid traded, to not only free up more money, but to let someone who might actually have a future here get a chance.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
I would like to see Reid traded, to not only free up more money, but to let someone who might actually have a future here get a chance.

I would agree

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
A cover Safety that'll hit

I like it
^^ Good stuff. His size/speed and aggressiveness charging downhill in run support make him a really interesting prospect for Cover 1 / 3 defense. I hope this guy develops.
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
So is he playing safety or cb in the NFL?
Originally posted by FaTaL:
So is he playing safety or cb in the NFL?

Lynch said they will play him at corner
Originally posted by SofaKing:
^^ Good stuff. His size/speed and aggressiveness charging downhill in run support make him a really interesting prospect for Cover 1 / 3 defense. I hope this guy develops.

iit I love how he lays the wood, but with great and controlled tackling form. He needs to stop standing over guys after hits though, that will draw some flags
Share 49ersWebzone