Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by elguapo:
Givens is his replacement and is a better pass rusher and much cheaper

I totally agree
Originally posted by illinois9er:

I totally agree

I like Givens, and it makes sense as he'll be much cheaper, but I like where DJ was heading as a rusher, he had some Buckner esqe instant swim move wins, very valuable, but maybe not valuable enough given our cap situation.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
No way I pay Jones any where near 8 million. I let Jones explore his market, and then see what is offered to him. If he really wants to get paid, then coming back here on a cheap 1 year prove it deal, and trying to ball out with a healthy Bosa and others along our DL will only help him. If Jones wants 4+ million and multiple years, then I let him walk, and put Givens and others in for him at a fraction of the cost.

This. Let Saleh take him with a nice contract to get us a comp pick next year

Saleh going to do us a solid by overpaying a lot of our FA netting us comp picks, s**t he's been taking away our coaches already
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

I totally agree

I like Givens, and it makes sense as he'll be much cheaper, but I like where DJ was heading as a rusher, he had some Buckner esqe instant swim move wins, very valuable, but maybe not valuable enough given our cap situation.

I wish DJ was cheaper bc he did show some sick burst for a fat man. Chasing down Murray 😳

I totally agree

I wish DJ was cheaper bc he did show some sick burst for a fat man. Chasing down Murray 😳

It's almost a Jimmy situation for me. He's a pretty good player but if you can't consistently stay on the field it's difficult to justify keeping you.

I totally agree

It's almost a Jimmy situation for me. He's a pretty good player but if you can't consistently stay on the field it's difficult to justify keeping you.

That's fair, maybe it brings his contract to somewhere near affordable though. Dude is a stud when out there.
I really hope he comes back. The depth at DT in this draft isn't that great.
I would love to get D.J. Jones back, my proposition to him offer wise, is what the 49ers gave Blair last offseason, it's a new rule, the 4th yr rule(I forget the exact name), but the player gets a $2.16M GTD base salary, and $137,500 signing bonus, all GTD, but it only counts the league minimum of $990K(Was $910K last season, goes up each year), so his cap number would be $1,127,500, but he'd actually make $2,297,500, all GTD, he's the only player from the 2017 draft class that I would consider giving this deal to, the 2016 class ended up being Blair, yeah he didn't play, but Jones played a good part of 2020, so I doubt he'd miss the season. The only other guy I can see being an option is Solomon Thomas, I don't want it to be him, and I kinda doubt he takes a minimum deal, he said he'd love to come back if the money was right, so he might be thinking he will get a multi year deal, or 1yr prove it deal worth more than than minimum, which I wouldn't pay him more than the minimum.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

I totally agree

Do you feel the same about Deebo??
Originally posted by 9moon:

What? Are you guys trying to claim that Deebo is injury prone now? SMH.

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by 9moon:

What? Are you guys trying to claim that Deebo is injury prone now? SMH.

Yeah Jimmy homers are often trying to apply a false equivalence with other players (Deebo, Bosa, etc.) to justify him being hurt for 2 of the 3 seasons he has been our starter.

Now, I personally am slightly concerned with Deebo's style of play and question whether it can be sustained for a long healthy career. But I wouldnt call him injury prone yet at this point.
  • thl408
I don't think Givens can hold up inside on run downs but that's just me looking at Givens' weight. I'd like DJJ back at a low starter salary. He shouldn't be tough to re-sign. But if the staff thinks Darrion Daniels can take over then that's probably the route they take.
That brings up a question. When do you consider a player to be injury prone? I suspect it's different for everyone. Is it a player that misses 2 or 3 games every year? Is it a guy that has a major season ending injury once or twice? Surely a guy that's hurt every year and misses at least half the games is injury prone. How about the player that never has a serious injury but is always nursing something minor that slows him down.
Originally posted by thl408:
I don't think Givens can hold up inside on run downs but that's just me looking at Givens' weight. I'd like DJJ back at a low starter salary. He shouldn't be tough to re-sign. But if the staff thinks Darrion Daniels can take over then that's probably the route they take.

Yea Givens is kinda slender for a interior lineman
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
That brings up a question. When do you consider a player to be injury prone? I suspect it's different for everyone. Is it a player that misses 2 or 3 games every year? Is it a guy that has a major season ending injury once or twice? Surely a guy that's hurt every year and misses at least half the games is injury prone. How about the player that never has a serious injury but is always nursing something minor that slows him down.

Yea that's a tough one. If a guy misses 2 games a year. I'm not gonna kill the guy or call him out as injury prone. Sport is pretty violent. The thing with DJ is that I just didn't see more big plays out of the guy. I think he's a solid player who could grow. Just with a tight cap we need to spend money elsewhere.
Share 49ersWebzone