LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 208 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Goatie:
Yeah and dudes here want us to be like Denver and draft a rookie QB to solve all of our problems and achieve peace in the Middle East at the same time.

No chance of JG losing the start next season.

I think these posts just stir people up. The fanbase is split on Jimmy, and truly none of us know what will happen this off-season. A lot of speculation. Both sides of the fanbase have logical points on the starting QB issue

A lot of uncertainty going into the offseason at QB1.
[ Edited by sacniner on Dec 21, 2020 at 8:34 AM ]
Basically, let CJB start the rest of the year to audition for the #3 spot. If he outplays Mullens, keep him on a cheaper deal, bring in a rookie to groom behind Jimmy (if he stays). Let Mullens walk or tender and trade him for peanuts.
CJ is gonna start the rest of the way.... with maybe some Josh Johnson. Nick had his chance to start. Kyle left him in there because he felt that was the best chance the team had at still making the playoffs. That's how low Kyle thinks of CJ.. no matter what happened on the field.

But now that we are eliminated, there is no benefit to start Nick.

CJ plays and he surpises? Great..backup for next year..

CJ and he plays as expected? Better draft pick...

also Kyle can get a look at Johnson, if CJ stinks it up. And if Josh plays better than CJ, he would take CJ's spot next year... 3rd string. If shows potential in the system, will complete for the 2nd string.
If any of these crap QBs are on the roster next year we deserve to go 0-16. Mullens, CJ and Johnson are a dumpster fire. Jimmy is a dumpster fire when you consider production vs comp.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
If any of these crap QBs are on the roster next year we deserve to go 0-16. Mullens, CJ and Johnson are a dumpster fire. Jimmy is a dumpster fire when you consider production vs comp.

They're backups - I don't know what people expect from them.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 21, 2020 at 12:24 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:

Not sure why people think its a written rule that "backups" have to suck....

I dont hear anyone say that for any other position. Backups should be projects that you expect to groom into starters, not limited potential garbage QBs.

Even under your definition Mayo, neither Mullens or CJ are NFL quality. You have to draw the line somewhere. That or pay me half the money and I'll hand off to Breida and throw interceptions.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Dec 21, 2020 at 12:31 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:

Not sure why people think its a written rule that "backups" have to suck....

I dont hear anyone say that for any other position. Backups should be projects that you expect to groom into starters, not limited potential garbage QBs.

Even under your definition Mayo, neither Mullens or CJ are NFL quality. You have to draw the line somewhere. That or pay me half the money and I'll hand off to Breida and throw interceptions.

Backups are backups for a reason, the only backups who are groomed to be starters are rookie qbs you drafted high and you have a starter whose either up there in age or mediocre. Backups shouldn't be horrible like Mullens but they should be good for 2-3 games max, anything more you risk getting them expose with defenses figuring them out.

There's reasons why guys like Fitzpatrick stay in the league forever is because he can play well for stretches and manage the game well but then absolutely suck the next when he's forced to play for extensive time that's why he can't be depended on to start long. All you need is from your back up is to manage and not commit those stupid turnovers especially on your side of the field.

It would be extremely rare and a miracle to get Jeff Hostetler and Nick Foles performances from your back ups where they do enough to get you to stay a float, win in the playoffs and win a SB. But then again you can't have injuries all around them like we had this year
Originally posted by Afrikan:
CJ is gonna start the rest of the way.... with maybe some Josh Johnson. Nick had his chance to start. Kyle left him in there because he felt that was the best chance the team had at still making the playoffs. That's how low Kyle thinks of CJ.. no matter what happened on the field.

But now that we are eliminated, there is no benefit to start Nick.

CJ plays and he surpises? Great..backup for next year..

CJ and he plays as expected? Better draft pick...

also Kyle can get a look at Johnson, if CJ stinks it up. And if Josh plays better than CJ, he would take CJ's spot next year... 3rd string. If shows potential in the system, will complete for the 2nd string.

This is pretty much how I see it. Mullens has turned it over 15 times (11 INTS, 4 fumbles) in 9 starts this year. He's turned it over twice or more in all but one of the last seven games. He's turned it over in 8 of the 10 games he's played this year. 80% turnover rate. Technically even higher because his first INT was in just one half of the Jets game. That's inexcusable.

Shanahan has all but indirectly stated that Mullens is done starting any more games this year:

"Nick's done some good things, but when you turn the ball over that much it's gonna be tough to be given opportunities," Shanahan said after Mullens' sixth straight start."
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 21, 2020 at 1:48 PM ]
Saints have Hill and Winston (capable back ups ) ..... we have none
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Backups are backups for a reason, the only backups who are groomed to be starters are rookie qbs you drafted high and you have a starter whose either up there in age or mediocre. Backups shouldn't be horrible like Mullens but they should be good for 2-3 games max, anything more you risk getting them expose with defenses figuring them out.

There's reasons why guys like Fitzpatrick stay in the league forever is because he can play well for stretches and manage the game well but then absolutely suck the next when he's forced to play for extensive time that's why he can't be depended on to start long. All you need is from your back up is to manage and not commit those stupid turnovers especially on your side of the field.

It would be extremely rare and a miracle to get Jeff Hostetler and Nick Foles performances from your back ups where they do enough to get you to stay a float, win in the playoffs and win a SB. But then again you can't have injuries all around them like we had this year

It used to be that you had one young backup that you were grooming and a vet that was experienced but past his prime. Now any young QB that's halfway good wants to start and the old vets are hanging on grabbing one more big contract. The cap makes it hard to carry 2 let alone 3 decent QBs since they usually are paid higher than other positions.

Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Is Winston a capable anything ..?
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Dec 21, 2020 at 2:00 PM ]
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Is Winston a capable anything ..?

Yes, throwing Interceptions.
Originally posted by Goatie:
Yeah and dudes here want us to be like Denver and draft a rookie QB to solve all of our problems and achieve peace in the Middle East at the same time.

No chance of JG losing the start next season.

The last couple of years rookies have come in and been ready to start. 2020: Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Jalen Hurts (small sample but pretty good so far).
2019: Murray, Daniel Jones (has his moments, TBD), Haskins (not good so far but may improve elsewhere), Drew Lock (has his moments, TBD)
2018: Mayfield (seems to be coming along, but should be better for #1), Sam Darnold (not sure how much is him and how much is the Jets), Josh Allen (fantastic), Rosen (tbd teams give up on him quick). Lamar Jackson (league MVP dangerous as a runner, needs to improve passing).
2017: Mahomes (1 game as a rookie starter, after has been outrageous ever since), Watson (great player horrible team),

Sadly, Jimmy G misses more games than he plays. A few College QBs have been ready to start immediately or by mid season the last few years,
I'd love the see CJ for the last two games. If they roll out Mullens again I don't think I can watch. At least CJ has an arm. Deceptively mobile as well. If he is still terrible, so be it.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Second2Nunley:
I'd love the see CJ for the last two games. If they roll out Mullens again I don't think I can watch. At least CJ has an arm. Deceptively mobile as well. If he is still terrible, so be it.

Yeah, I'd like to see what CJ can do - can't be worse than Mullens.
Share 49ersWebzone