There are 117 users in the forums

49ers select QB CJ Beathard - Round 3, Pick 104

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by 9moon:
he's just not a starter... lets all hope he can learn from the offense and become a QB coach early after football career, then become an OC...

Good post. Tim Rattay is following your advice.

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Tim Rattay as quarterbacks coach.
https://www.redskins.com/news/redskins-name-tim-rattay-as-quarterbacks-coach

Or Ken "Noodles" Dorsey
Originally posted by krizay:
Well, most was hoping for Peterman here. Instead we get the QB shanny likes better.

So it's not as bad as it seems. They took a guy they think fits better than a player we fit better.

Peterman was one of my draft crushes but this trade/pick while a surprise still not as bad as we are making it out to be.

Alot of posters viewed Peterman the same way us Peterman fans are viewing CJ so...

All the peterman posts are wild
I was re-watching the week 6 highlights from last years Packers game. CJ had 2 nice TD throws the Marquise.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
I was re-watching the week 6 highlights from last years Packers game. CJ had 2 nice TD throws the Marquise.

As much as 49er fans want to bash CJ he's not AWFUL. He's not very good but he's not trash.

If he has protection then he can be a pretty good QB. The problem is there are so few teams out there who can give guys 4+ seconds consistently and his pocket presence is pretty poor and he holds the ball for too long. Overall he's a tough SOB who has a pretty good arm and a decent head on his shoulders but if he doesn't find a way to improve his presence in the pocket he won't last long.

That type of game may work for guys the size of Ben Roethlisberger but it's a bad idea for Beathard.
Originally posted by genus49:

As much as 49er fans want to bash CJ he's not AWFUL. He's not very good but he's not trash.

If he has protection then he can be a pretty good QB. The problem is there are so few teams out there who can give guys 4+ seconds consistently and his pocket presence is pretty poor and he holds the ball for too long. Overall he's a tough SOB who has a pretty good arm and a decent head on his shoulders but if he doesn't find a way to improve his presence in the pocket he won't last long.

That type of game may work for guys the size of Ben Roethlisberger but it's a bad idea for Beathard.

Yeah that was the same game Mabin blew 4 straight passes each to set them up for a game winning FG. Beathard had Rogers beat that game.
And honestly yes he was a third round pick, but third round QB's are backups much more often in the league than starters. I think the Zone's expectations was that he was the future franchise QB and I don't believe Lynch an Kyle ever stated that.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

He's been throwing a lot of interceptions in camp. That's a no-no in Kyle's system. Having said that, I'm still hoping he improves enough to get some trade value. But I'm losing hope on that.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Yeah that was the same game Mabin blew 4 straight passes each to set them up for a game winning FG. Beathard had Rogers beat that game.
And honestly yes he was a third round pick, but third round QB's are backups much more often in the league than starters. I think the Zone's expectations was that he was the future franchise QB and I don't believe Lynch an Kyle ever stated that.

I was hoping he was a diamond in the rough, and could develop like Mullens did. Man if you put Mullens head on CJ's body, I think you have a QB that can challenge Jimmy.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Yeah, Beathard + our 7th best WR receiver might actually be appealing for a late pick or two. Dead serious. I think all of our receivers have a future in the league and if there are any teams that are in the situation we were in during the 2015 and 2016 seasons at receiver and QB, why not make that trade? At worse, you'd have two backups/role-players.

That's my only hope now.
Beat harder CJ! Beat harder!!!
I really hope Lynch can someway steal a 5th rounder from some desperate team if he trades him. CJ will have to really shine during these next couple games for that to happen, but then you have to wonder if KS might choose to just keep 3 QB's if he performs well.

As I said on another thread, I would keep him even if it is on the practice squad. Jimmy is coming off major surgery so I want to see how he holds up when the bullets start flying. If he goes down and Mullens goes in, who would be the backup? Not Speight. Hold him until mid season when the injuries to QB's start to pile up and they would probably get a better trade, even if it's only one pick higher. By then we will have seen whether Jimmy is okay.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
As I said on another thread, I would keep him even if it is on the practice squad. Jimmy is coming off major surgery so I want to see how he holds up when the bullets start flying. If he goes down and Mullens goes in, who would be the backup? Not Speight. Hold him until mid season when the injuries to QB's start to pile up and they would probably get a better trade, even if it's only one pick higher. By then we will have seen whether Jimmy is okay.

I dont think hes PS eligible. 3rd year player.

The problem with that is we needed a franchise QB at that time and passed on both Deshaun Watson and Mahomes who many wanted, either or. I agree that 3rd round picks is not the norm to amount to franchise QB, but when you have Brian Hoyer and you trade up in the 3rd round for a QB, I don't think you can expect a fanbase to think otherwise
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I dont think hes PS eligible. 3rd year player.

I'm not sure of the rules on that. You may be right. Most teams carry 3 QB's but activate only 2 on game day. The way QB's get hurt, even with the new rules, it's really a gamble to carry only 2 QBs. They may risk it to carry an extra receiver but I wouldn't. At least CJ has 3 years in the system now and could fill in if needed.

Not only pocket presence and holding the ball too long, his dropbacks in itself is molasses slow. Like you said he's not awful, but he's not good either. Hopefully we can ship him out for something like you guys are saying
Share 49erswebzone