There are 155 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
As I said on another thread, I would keep him even if it is on the practice squad. Jimmy is coming off major surgery so I want to see how he holds up when the bullets start flying. If he goes down and Mullens goes in, who would be the backup? Not Speight. Hold him until mid season when the injuries to QB's start to pile up and they would probably get a better trade, even if it's only one pick higher. By then we will have seen whether Jimmy is okay.

I dont think hes PS eligible. 3rd year player.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Yeah that was the same game Mabin blew 4 straight passes each to set them up for a game winning FG. Beathard had Rogers beat that game.
And honestly yes he was a third round pick, but third round QB's are backups much more often in the league than starters. I think the Zone's expectations was that he was the future franchise QB and I don't believe Lynch an Kyle ever stated that.

The problem with that is we needed a franchise QB at that time and passed on both Deshaun Watson and Mahomes who many wanted, either or. I agree that 3rd round picks is not the norm to amount to franchise QB, but when you have Brian Hoyer and you trade up in the 3rd round for a QB, I don't think you can expect a fanbase to think otherwise
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
As I said on another thread, I would keep him even if it is on the practice squad. Jimmy is coming off major surgery so I want to see how he holds up when the bullets start flying. If he goes down and Mullens goes in, who would be the backup? Not Speight. Hold him until mid season when the injuries to QB's start to pile up and they would probably get a better trade, even if it's only one pick higher. By then we will have seen whether Jimmy is okay.

I'm not sure of the rules on that. You may be right. Most teams carry 3 QB's but activate only 2 on game day. The way QB's get hurt, even with the new rules, it's really a gamble to carry only 2 QBs. They may risk it to carry an extra receiver but I wouldn't. At least CJ has 3 years in the system now and could fill in if needed.
Originally posted by genus49:
As much as 49er fans want to bash CJ he's not AWFUL. He's not very good but he's not trash.

If he has protection then he can be a pretty good QB. The problem is there are so few teams out there who can give guys 4+ seconds consistently and his pocket presence is pretty poor and he holds the ball for too long. Overall he's a tough SOB who has a pretty good arm and a decent head on his shoulders but if he doesn't find a way to improve his presence in the pocket he won't last long.

That type of game may work for guys the size of Ben Roethlisberger but it's a bad idea for Beathard.

Not only pocket presence and holding the ball too long, his dropbacks in itself is molasses slow. Like you said he's not awful, but he's not good either. Hopefully we can ship him out for something like you guys are saying
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

I'm not sure of the rules on that. You may be right. Most teams carry 3 QB's but activate only 2 on game day. The way QB's get hurt, even with the new rules, it's really a gamble to carry only 2 QBs. They may risk it to carry an extra receiver but I wouldn't. At least CJ has 3 years in the system now and could fill in if needed.

Most teams cut guys like CJ, with the expectation being that if the starter gets injured later on, the CJ guy will be sitting on a couch somewhere playing Madden waiting for a phone call.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Most teams cut guys like CJ, with the expectation being that if the starter gets injured later on, the CJ guy will be sitting on a couch somewhere playing Madden waiting for a phone call.

That's not likely. CJ may not be a starter but have you looked at what other teams have. He may be able to start for a couple of them but he's definitely good enough to back up. He may be a better fit with another system. If you need to bring in a guy that's 'sitting on a couch' then it's better to have one that knows the offense.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Aug 6, 2019 at 10:44 AM ]

That's not likely. CJ may not be a starter but have you looked at what other teams have. He may be able to start for a couple of them but he's definitely good enough to back up. He may be a better fit with another system. If you need to bring in a guy that's 'sitting on a couch' then it's better to have one that knows the offense.

1-9 record with his turnovers? Let's just say we agree to disagree. Guys like Mark Sanchez, who has been the starter in two conference championship games, are still relatively young, sitting on a couch playing Madden waiting for a phone call.
I really wanted CJ to be a legit backup when we drafted him, and maybe he could be. However, I don't think we need 3 QB on the roster. Mullens is just more efficient in this offense and makes the correct reads and throws more often then CJ. CJ is bigger and has a stronger arm then Mullens, but he just doesn't make the decisions quick enough even this many years into the offense. JG and Mullens on the roster CJ cut, maybe gets picked up by another team, maybe he stays at home until or if we need him. Draft another QB late rounds next year to try and develop on practice squad or push Mullens.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wolfpack2192:
I really wanted CJ to be a legit backup when we drafted him, and maybe he could be. However, I don't think we need 3 QB on the roster. Mullens is just more efficient in this offense and makes the correct reads and throws more often then CJ. CJ is bigger and has a stronger arm then Mullens, but he just doesn't make the decisions quick enough even this many years into the offense. JG and Mullens on the roster CJ cut, maybe gets picked up by another team, maybe he stays at home until or if we need him. Draft another QB late rounds next year to try and develop on practice squad or push Mullens.

Agree. I dont' think we can keep 3 QB's - even with Jimmy's health issues, considering we have some good WR's and some DLinemen that I'd rather keep than an extra QB that won't be playing unless the franchise QB is out for the season. Once you are at the 3rd QB, seasons over, as far as I'm concerned.

Well, Mark Sanchez retired. Also, I'd actually take CJ over Sanchez at this point. CJ has a way better arm and mobility.

Should call up the Eagles and ask if they're interested in a trade. Their backup QB went down. Wentz cant stay healthy.

I'd even take small compensation for him at this point. Like a 6th rounder
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Should call up the Eagles and ask if they're interested in a trade. Their backup QB went down. Wentz cant stay healthy.

I highly doubt our third string QB is on anyone's radar for a trade.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Generally, but Beathard has like 10 or more starts in the NFL and has shown decent play with good grit and good touch on the deep ball. Supply/Demand, could be worth something in a trade.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Generally, but Beathard has like 10 or more starts in the NFL and has shown decent play with good grit and good touch on the deep ball. Supply/Demand, could be worth something in a trade.

10 or more starts isn't much. And they were not very impressive starts. He can't even beat out a guy who went undrafted. There are plenty of better prospect QBs than CJ Beathard out there.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Aug 9, 2019 at 8:17 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

10 or more starts isn't much. And they were not very impressive starts. He can't even beat out a guy who went undrafted. There are plenty of better prospect QBs than CJ Beathard out there.

Let's not ignore the fact that he had both Rivers and Rodgers beat had his teammates not made critical mistakes to help cost the game.
Share 49ersWebzone