LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Originally posted by Giedi:
I don't think CJ is elegible for the practice squad anymore.
n order to be eligible for the practice squad, players must meet one of the following requirements:
Have no prior Accrued Seasons in the NFL (An accrued season is six or more games on the active roster); Have one prior Accrued Season in which the player was on the 46-man active roster for no more than 8 games; Each club will be permitted to sign a maximum of 4 Practice Squad players who have earned no more than 2 accrued seasons of free agency credit; If a player served two seasons on a practice squad, they are eligible for a third season only if the team has at least 53 players on its active/inactive list for the duration of that player's employment. A player has served one season on the practice squad if he is on the practice squad for at least 6 games. The rule previously required 3 games on the practice squad roster.https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/9/1/17809438/2018-nfl-practice-squad-salary-rules-eligibility-49ers-roster-cuts

There's an exemption for up to 4 players who have two and no more than two accrued seasons. Unless it's changed since then.

I take it back; it's looks like I misunderstood yet another one. Still, he could be eligible depending on that 53 player on the active/inactive list thing. I give up.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I don't think CJ is elegible for the practice squad anymore.
n order to be eligible for the practice squad, players must meet one of the following requirements:
Have no prior Accrued Seasons in the NFL (An accrued season is six or more games on the active roster); Have one prior Accrued Season in which the player was on the 46-man active roster for no more than 8 games; Each club will be permitted to sign a maximum of 4 Practice Squad players who have earned no more than 2 accrued seasons of free agency credit; If a player served two seasons on a practice squad, they are eligible for a third season only if the team has at least 53 players on its active/inactive list for the duration of that player's employment. A player has served one season on the practice squad if he is on the practice squad for at least 6 games. The rule previously required 3 games on the practice squad roster.https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/9/1/17809438/2018-nfl-practice-squad-salary-rules-eligibility-49ers-roster-cuts

There's an exemption for up to 4 players who have two and no more than two accrued seasons. Unless it's changed since then.

I take it back; it's looks like I misunderstood yet another one. Still, he could be eligible depending on that 53 player on the active/inactive list thing. I give up.
Well I think it comes down to Wilton vs Beathard for 3rd string qb. I doubt they keep more than two, even if Jimmy is comming back from an ACL. In terms of performance, Wilton will have knowledge of the offense same as BeatHard. Once you are at your 3rd string- your season is over anyway.

I think Wilton goes to the practice squad and Beathard will be let go or traded. Now it Beathard is not eligible for the practice squad, I'm pretty sure he will be cut if there are not takers in a trade for CJ.

I just don't see ShanaLynch keeping 3 QB's this year. I just dont.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by GarnerValleyFan:
Might wanna trade Beathard when there's still a market for him? We have Mullens and GQ, Beathard just the odd man out.

Is there any market for him??

I'd assume it resembles my online dating history... no matches.
Add in a good young WR and there may be a market for a trade.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by GarnerValleyFan:
Might wanna trade Beathard when there's still a market for him? We have Mullens and GQ, Beathard just the odd man out.

Is there any market for him??

I'd assume it resembles my online dating history... no matches.
Add in a good young WR and there may be a market for a trade.

Yeah, Beathard + our 7th best WR receiver might actually be appealing for a late pick or two. Dead serious. I think all of our receivers have a future in the league and if there are any teams that are in the situation we were in during the 2015 and 2016 seasons at receiver and QB, why not make that trade? At worse, you'd have two backups/role-players.
Originally posted by 9moon:
he's just not a starter... lets all hope he can learn from the offense and become a QB coach early after football career, then become an OC...

Good post. Tim Rattay is following your advice.

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Tim Rattay as quarterbacks coach.
https://www.redskins.com/news/redskins-name-tim-rattay-as-quarterbacks-coach

Or Ken "Noodles" Dorsey
Originally posted by krizay:
Well, most was hoping for Peterman here. Instead we get the QB shanny likes better.

So it's not as bad as it seems. They took a guy they think fits better than a player we fit better.

Peterman was one of my draft crushes but this trade/pick while a surprise still not as bad as we are making it out to be.

Alot of posters viewed Peterman the same way us Peterman fans are viewing CJ so...

All the peterman posts are wild
I was re-watching the week 6 highlights from last years Packers game. CJ had 2 nice TD throws the Marquise.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
I was re-watching the week 6 highlights from last years Packers game. CJ had 2 nice TD throws the Marquise.

As much as 49er fans want to bash CJ he's not AWFUL. He's not very good but he's not trash.

If he has protection then he can be a pretty good QB. The problem is there are so few teams out there who can give guys 4+ seconds consistently and his pocket presence is pretty poor and he holds the ball for too long. Overall he's a tough SOB who has a pretty good arm and a decent head on his shoulders but if he doesn't find a way to improve his presence in the pocket he won't last long.

That type of game may work for guys the size of Ben Roethlisberger but it's a bad idea for Beathard.
Originally posted by genus49:

As much as 49er fans want to bash CJ he's not AWFUL. He's not very good but he's not trash.

If he has protection then he can be a pretty good QB. The problem is there are so few teams out there who can give guys 4+ seconds consistently and his pocket presence is pretty poor and he holds the ball for too long. Overall he's a tough SOB who has a pretty good arm and a decent head on his shoulders but if he doesn't find a way to improve his presence in the pocket he won't last long.

That type of game may work for guys the size of Ben Roethlisberger but it's a bad idea for Beathard.

Yeah that was the same game Mabin blew 4 straight passes each to set them up for a game winning FG. Beathard had Rogers beat that game.
And honestly yes he was a third round pick, but third round QB's are backups much more often in the league than starters. I think the Zone's expectations was that he was the future franchise QB and I don't believe Lynch an Kyle ever stated that.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:

He's been throwing a lot of interceptions in camp. That's a no-no in Kyle's system. Having said that, I'm still hoping he improves enough to get some trade value. But I'm losing hope on that.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Yeah that was the same game Mabin blew 4 straight passes each to set them up for a game winning FG. Beathard had Rogers beat that game.
And honestly yes he was a third round pick, but third round QB's are backups much more often in the league than starters. I think the Zone's expectations was that he was the future franchise QB and I don't believe Lynch an Kyle ever stated that.

I was hoping he was a diamond in the rough, and could develop like Mullens did. Man if you put Mullens head on CJ's body, I think you have a QB that can challenge Jimmy.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Yeah, Beathard + our 7th best WR receiver might actually be appealing for a late pick or two. Dead serious. I think all of our receivers have a future in the league and if there are any teams that are in the situation we were in during the 2015 and 2016 seasons at receiver and QB, why not make that trade? At worse, you'd have two backups/role-players.

That's my only hope now.
Beat harder CJ! Beat harder!!!
I really hope Lynch can someway steal a 5th rounder from some desperate team if he trades him. CJ will have to really shine during these next couple games for that to happen, but then you have to wonder if KS might choose to just keep 3 QB's if he performs well.
As I said on another thread, I would keep him even if it is on the practice squad. Jimmy is coming off major surgery so I want to see how he holds up when the bullets start flying. If he goes down and Mullens goes in, who would be the backup? Not Speight. Hold him until mid season when the injuries to QB's start to pile up and they would probably get a better trade, even if it's only one pick higher. By then we will have seen whether Jimmy is okay.
Share 49ersWebzone