LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
So excited to for preseason. We get to see Jimmy G play for a bit then proceed to see how much C.J. has developed.
If CJ can build upon the experience he had last year, get a better handle on the offense, giving him quicker processing speed in the pocket, there won't be much drop off if Jimmy gets hurt.

Beathard is very promising as a starter in the league. Rooting for him
BeatHard doing well only helps the team
If Jimmy Garoppolo ever gets hurt in a game and has to miss time, the 49ers only chance of survival will be to lean on the run game and their soon to be strong defense.
Do we really have a 26 year old potential Pro Bowler and a young backup QB who is showing some potential?

I think we do!
Originally posted by Ernst82:
Do we really have a 26 year old potential Pro Bowler and a young backup QB who is showing some potential?

I think we do!

Shanny knows QBs
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
CJ Knows he'll play in the NFL, and if he's as good as Kyle thinks he is, he'll be traded to the Chiefs. Hopefully the chiefs suck so bad that year - that we get a 2nd round pick that is *like* a late first rounder the next year.
The reality with C.J. is that Jimmy signs a five-year contract, C.J. has a four-year deal. In an ideal world, how aware of that reality is he and how is he responding to that situation just knowing that maybe his starting opportunity could be elsewhere?

"C.J.'s a smart guy and he understands I think what everyone else does. I think it was somewhat hard for C.J. when Jimmy came here because Jimmy had a pretty good opportunity and Jimmy came and played extremely well. I think everyone could see that and I think C.J. did too. I think that made it a little bit easier because Jimmy played at such a high level. But, I think C.J. does believe in himself and believes he can start in this league and I know I do too. I think this is a good thing for C.J., that he can get better through this stuff. I know he wants reps. He's going to get it in practice, he's going to get a lot in the preseason and it's the cliché everyone says, you're always one play away from starting. I hope that never happens because you don't want something to happen to Jimmy, but I know C.J. will be ready if he does. And if not, just the way he works, he will get better regardless and there's plenty of stories that people know of good things happening to backup quarterbacks regardless of where it's at."
https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/117166-transcript-kyle-shanahan-discusses-first-practices-training-camp/
[ Edited by Giedi on Jul 27, 2018 at 6:03 PM ]
How's the arm strength thing coming along?
Glad to hear we have a great backup who's learning...there's zero reasons to think about trading him.

Jimmy gets hurt we've got a capable QB that can run the system. Anyone throwing out a qb controversy needs a slap in the back of the head though.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Glad to hear we have a great backup who's learning...there's zero reasons to think about trading him.

Jimmy gets hurt we've got a capable QB that can run the system. Anyone throwing out a qb controversy needs a slap in the back of the head though.

Yeah he isn't going anywhere for at least two years.

Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Yeah you're only as good as your backup in this league (especially at QB). Solid backup with some upside...got a ton of work to do.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Yeah you're only as good as your backup in this league (especially at QB). Solid backup with some upside...got a ton of work to do.

Nick Foles blew up whatever preconception of a backup qb, albeit a veteran one. He looked terrible the first few starts when he took over. Playoffs and SB games, he was a totally different animal.

Yes, you do need a good backup. That means a guy that can take over, operate the offense, with little to no drop off in production.

Just by Shanahan saying CJ is more decisive with his decisions in the pocket speaks volumes on how much CJ has improved.
Originally posted by Jack49ers84:
8/8 in the relevant part (11 on 11 drills) of Training Camp today with the only deep pass of practice. Seems like accuracy is no longer an issue. And out of all of our QBs, it seems like he has the prettiest deep ball.

LOL accuracy isn't a issue now because of one 11 on 11 drill with no pads. stop man.

Haha....how did I miss this So let me get this straight.....we've gotta be extra skeptical of Jimmy because of 5 regular season game BUT CJ short accuracy is now fixed because of 8 passes in a non padded practice So 175 passes in 5 regular season games isn't enough of a sample size for him but 8 passes in practice for CJ is.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jul 28, 2018 at 7:58 AM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by Jack49ers84:
8/8 in the relevant part (11 on 11 drills) of Training Camp today with the only deep pass of practice. Seems like accuracy is no longer an issue. And out of all of our QBs, it seems like he has the prettiest deep ball.

LOL accuracy isn't a issue now because of one 11 on 11 drill with no pads. stop man.

Haha....how did I miss this So let me get this straight.....we've gotta be extra skeptical of Jimmy because of 5 regular season game BUT CJ short accuracy is now fixed because of 8 passes in a non padded practice So 175 passes in 5 regular season games isn't enough of a sample size for him but 8 passes in practice is for CJ is.

And we saw Jimmy in those games, we did not see CJ's practice throws.
Bottom line this is the first training camp that the starting qb AND back up QB are set. No this is an open competition and we will see how the chips fall.

Starter - Garroppolo
Back up CJ

The ONLY drama is who will be the qb on the practice squad... That is a good thing. They only have 13 players left from the past regime going into this camp, I predict next year it will be in single digits... way to clean house
Share 49ersWebzone