LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 332 users in the forums

Ahkello Witherspoon, CB

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'm not too worried about him. I'm more worried about how he comes back after being humbled. He's a smart guy and got mentally burned a couple of times. He'll learn.

Now Saleh needs to recognize that nobody is testing Sherman and roll coverage to Witherspoon's side more.

Reuben will help more in underneath coverage and Tartt and Colbert need to do a better job of recognizing where QB's are targeting.

Yep. All corners get beat and have bad days. The question is can he come back and have some solid performances? He has a tough matchup this week against the Chiefs.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
TRUE that all DBs get beat day in an day out.. but Spoon's problem thus far is his knowledge of the play and assignment... that freakin 1st TD he gave up against the LIONS, that's HIGH SCHOOL type of Defensive Assignment... he had no right to allow a TE to run pass him especially since there was no WR he was covering.. Common sense alone tells you that you watch the TE and not pay attention to the RB "unless" the TE was blocking all the way down.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Lol this idiot was cheering every time he saw a flag he thought it was gonna be against the offense but it was on him every time. Low iq player
2nd year players are going to make mistakes.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
Witherspoon's ankle has nothing to do with his inability to cover anyone from Little Sisters of the Poor. His ego far exceeds his ability.. He's the only hole in a solid secondary. Against a solid QB he is lost.

Jesus people, one poor game and he's a bust...are you all like this with everything you do in life?

"My Starbucks's coffee taste like s**t today, I'm never drinking it again!" "I'm having a bad hair day, time to shave my head and never grow my hair back!"

Yeah ankle injuries have no bearing on how a CB plays Lions are rocking a top end WR trio not sure what Little Sisters of the Poor is in reference to? Matt Stafford is a damn good QB, so not sure what you last sentence has to do with anything either.

Kid is still learning the position, was raw coming into the NFL BUT in no way does he not have the ability to be a good cover 3 CB (like you're stating). His skill set is ideal for the position in every way, kid needs to get his s**t together and needs to be healthy. growing pains of having a young roster. gotta deal with the ups and downs.

If Matt Stafford was good enough to consistently hit wide open receivers, Witherspoon would have given up 3 more TDs. We got lucky with those overthrows. We shall see how he bounces back when healthy.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Sep 18, 2018 at 1:26 PM ]
I wonder how much moving to the other side is affecting spoon. If you predominantly play on one side you become ingrained in the patterns to properly defend that side. It's going to take time and live reps to get used to the opposite side.
It's not just Witherspoon. Everyone but Sherman has looked bad back there. Maybe it's how they're coached
Originally posted by Sourball:
It's not just Witherspoon. Everyone but Sherman has looked bad back there. Maybe it's how they're coached

Our pass rush isn't helping much either.
Originally posted by IGSXIII:

Our pass rush isn't helping much either.
True. Giving up 329 yards passing and still winning with our often sputtering offense is pretty amazing.

Originally posted by susweel:
Lol this idiot was cheering every time he saw a flag he thought it was gonna be against the offense but it was on him every time. Low iq player

lol
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'm not too worried about him. I'm more worried about how he comes back after being humbled. He's a smart guy and got mentally burned a couple of times. He'll learn.

Now Saleh needs to recognize that nobody is testing Sherman and roll coverage to Witherspoon's side more.

Reuben will help more in underneath coverage and Tartt and Colbert need to do a better job of recognizing where QB's are targeting.

Yep. All corners get beat and have bad days. The question is can he come back and have some solid performances? He has a tough matchup this week against the Chiefs.

Who gets Tyreek Hill ? Geez is our only chance to chuck him at the line? I don't see any of our dbs running with this guy.

Wait til Sherman gives up a deep pass or even worse a TD. Everyone will turn on him too. " See I told you he's not the same". "Lynch sucks as a GM".
So because of one bad game Witherspoon now sucks?
Originally posted by Niners418:
So because of one bad game Witherspoon now sucks?

You know how it is here in NT.
Share 49ersWebzone