LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Ahkello Witherspoon, CB

Shop 49ers game tickets
Hefty praise from Sherman:

Try to put yourself in Ahkello Witherspoon's shoes. You're 23, a third-round pick out of Colorado in 2017, and you had no idea what to expect in the NFL. Most guys say they knew back in college they'd make it in the league, but you're honest, and you'll admit you had no idea until you stepped onto the field in August 2017 and saw your first action as a 49er. Yet you thrived on a losing football team, earning the starting gig in late October. The team traded for a quarterback who led you to five straight wins to finish the season. A few months later they signed a three-time All-Pro cornerback to play opposite you. It's all happening now, and there's more.

The All-Pro has been watching you—on film, in OTAs—and he's convinced you're next. In a year, he says, the football world will know your name. He invites you to a gathering that's the first of its kind. On a sun-soaked practice field at Stanford University in late June, you meet Aqib Talib, Darius Slay, Xavier Rhodes and the guy who invited you, Richard Sherman. Between them they have 12 Pro Bowl nods, six first-team All-Pro selections, two Super Bowl rings and something like $155 million in career earnings before taxes.
You work out with them, running cone drills to fine-tune your footwork, and then you watch film of each of your targets and explain to the room what you were thinking on each play. Talib, Slay, Rhodes and Sherman do the same, and you start to think maybe you deserve to be in this room with these giants of the position.

"I was watching these guys on TV in college, on Monday Night Football, in the playoffs, and to be around them is just a blessing. It's surreal," Witherspoon says. "I think this is the group I belong in, and turning on the tape confirms that."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/07/16/richard-sherman-aqib-talib-malcolm-butler-nfl-cornerback-summit-2018-power-rankings-mmqb?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social
Originally posted by Heroism:
Hefty praise from Sherman:

Try to put yourself in Ahkello Witherspoon's shoes. You're 23, a third-round pick out of Colorado in 2017, and you had no idea what to expect in the NFL. Most guys say they knew back in college they'd make it in the league, but you're honest, and you'll admit you had no idea until you stepped onto the field in August 2017 and saw your first action as a 49er. Yet you thrived on a losing football team, earning the starting gig in late October. The team traded for a quarterback who led you to five straight wins to finish the season. A few months later they signed a three-time All-Pro cornerback to play opposite you. It's all happening now, and there's more.

The All-Pro has been watching you—on film, in OTAs—and he's convinced you're next. In a year, he says, the football world will know your name. He invites you to a gathering that's the first of its kind. On a sun-soaked practice field at Stanford University in late June, you meet Aqib Talib, Darius Slay, Xavier Rhodes and the guy who invited you, Richard Sherman. Between them they have 12 Pro Bowl nods, six first-team All-Pro selections, two Super Bowl rings and something like $155 million in career earnings before taxes.
You work out with them, running cone drills to fine-tune your footwork, and then you watch film of each of your targets and explain to the room what you were thinking on each play. Talib, Slay, Rhodes and Sherman do the same, and you start to think maybe you deserve to be in this room with these giants of the position.

"I was watching these guys on TV in college, on Monday Night Football, in the playoffs, and to be around them is just a blessing. It's surreal," Witherspoon says. "I think this is the group I belong in, and turning on the tape confirms that."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/07/16/richard-sherman-aqib-talib-malcolm-butler-nfl-cornerback-summit-2018-power-rankings-mmqb?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

he also said this in there....

"I invited him because I thought he could hold his own," Sherman says of Witherspoon. "I think from being around him, working with him, working out with him, watching him in OTAs and minicamp, I knew he could keep up with the workflow. I knew he would look the part. I knew, drill-wise, he wouldn't be overwhelmed. His footwork is beautiful and technical. I knew that in terms of demeanor and just being able to just walk around and not be star-struck by these guys, he'd be fine. I think he belongs with those guys, and people will figure that out in a few months."
  • thl408
Awesome that Sherm has taken Spoon under his wing. The two seem so different in terms of temperament. Sherm loud and in your face, whereas Spoon seems reserved. Kind of an odd couple.
Originally posted by thl408:
Awesome that Sherm has taken Spoon under his wing. The two seem so different in terms of temperament. Sherm loud and in your face, whereas Spoon seems reserved. Kind of an odd couple.

Sounds like Spoon is taking on some of that Sherman swag. If you watch him in vids during OTAs/Minicamp you'll see him a lot more vocal and moving around like he's got a basketball sized nuts.

Which for corners is a good mentality to have. Hopefully Witherspoon keeps improving and Sherman gets back to even close to what he was with Seattle and we may have ourselves a defense which turns some heads.
I hated the pick last year. Man, i was wrong.
Witherspoon seems like he is going to take that big second year leap that top level corners often do. I really think he has a chance to make the Pro Bowl, but what is interesting is if Sherman wants his contract guaranteed for next season, then he needs to make the Pro Bowl as well. Who knows, maybe both will make it LOL.

Witherspoon's footwork is awesome and has a lot to do with playing soccer in his childhood. If Sherman can help him improve in press, then look out. Kid has pretty much every tool you are looking for at CB.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Kidding.
It's amazing how much he has progressed throughout last season and now having Sherm and a year under his belt makes me think he can be an elite corner.
Trust in KS, JL, and Co. to know WTF is going on. They may make mistakes here and there, but largely they get it right for the program they have envisioned and are building.
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Trust in KS, JL, and Co. to know WTF is going on. They may make mistakes here and there, but largely they get it right for the program they have envisioned and are building.
I think that draft class is gonna go down as one of the best of the decade. I know it's still early but you can see so many contributors. S. Thomas hasn't been a pass rushing phenom but his tun stopping work was outstanding and Foster already looks like an All-Pro, Spoon is looking like a stud as well as Colbert. Kittle is already out starting TE and getting buzz to go along with Breida as an UDFA. To get that kind of contribution out of a draft class is crazy. I think we get so locked in to our own niner land that we dont track the wins and losses of other teams' draft classes. The kind of draft like we had are the kinds that set up teams' SB windows.

Originally posted by NCommand:

So excited to see what Witherspoon can do with a healthy Sherman on the other side of him if this defense can produce any kind of a pass rush
Originally posted by gold49digger:
It's amazing how much he has progressed throughout last season and now having Sherm and a year under his belt makes me think he can be an elite corner.

Totally agree

Sherman is doing a lot more to improve the team than playing a position.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Totally agree

Sherman is doing a lot more to improve the team than playing a position.

Wouldn't be shocked if he's a darkhorse probowler for next year. Type of guy that only gets better with time and practice IMO. Can say that for multiple guys ofcourse. Very excited for Spoon.
  • thl408
Spoon played exclusively at RCB in the DAL preseason game with Ward at LCB. I was wondering if Spoon would be at LCB while Sherman is out, I guess not. Point is, Sherman better get in the lineup because Ward at the hot corner (LCB) is not a good thing. Spoon played mostly at LCB last season. He was mainly RCB in college.
Originally posted by thl408:
Spoon played exclusively at RCB in the DAL preseason game with Ward at LCB. I was wondering if Spoon would be at LCB while Sherman is out, I guess not. Point is, Sherman better get in the lineup because Ward at the hot corner (LCB) is not a good thing. Spoon played mostly at LCB last season. He was mainly RCB in college.

At this point I think I'd rather them just throw Moore in there instead of Ward
Share 49ersWebzone