There are 251 users in the forums

Ahkello Witherspoon, CB

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by PacTiger:
I really don't care if he's soft against the run, that's not what he's out there for.

Who said anything about the run? What happens when he's 1 on 1 on the outside against a physical wide receiver? WR catches a 5 yard pass near the sideline, shoves witherspoon to the ground and jogs 80 yards for a TD?

Just curious. Do you have any footage of that happening this year? Or, are you just going by reports that his tackling needs work? I would love to see all of this poor tackling.

I remember when Deion was ripped for avoiding contact and not being a good tackler too. Not saying this kid is Deion by any stretch but if he can defend the pass and cover that is the #1 trait of a great corner.

Also, John Lynch was one of the toughest tacklers in his time in the NFL. If he doesnt think its a worry then I dont think we should to be honest. He knows a hell of a lot more about secondary play than anyone in here thats for sure.

Actually, Lynch was worried, that's why he approached Ahkello and his DB coach about it...

Evidently not that much.

He believes the tackling issue can be fixed. I'm hoping he's right cuz Witherspoon can be a great CB if he does.
Witherspoon has tons of potential...his size (& room for growth), speed and desire are great. The fact he had 22 passes broken up (a ridiculous total) says opponents tried to pick on him, but he was obviously up to the challenge. He admits to not being a great tackler, but that's something Coach Hafley can tutor him on. Adding some muscle to his 6-3 frame will help him gain confidence to improve that facet of his game. The thought of him lining up opposite Robinson is exciting...two big, cat-quick CB's who can match up with any WR opponents can throw at them.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Just for context.

Ahkello Witherspoon (CB)
HT: 6'3" WT: 198LBS.
POSITION: CB
SCHOOL: Colorado
ARM LENGTH: 33"
HANDS: 9 7/8"
40 YARD DASH: 4.45 SEC
VERTICAL JUMP: 40.5 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 127.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 6.93 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.13 SEC
60 YARD SHUTTLE: 11.60 SEC

Richard Sherman
HT: 6'3" WT: 195LBS.
POSITION: DB
SCHOOL: Stanford
ARM LENGTH: 32"
HANDS: 9 3/4"
40 YARD DASH: 4.56 SEC
BENCH PRESS: 16 REPS
VERTICAL JUMP: 38.0 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 125.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 6.82 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.33 SEC
60 YARD SHUTTLE: 11.44 SEC

Im not saying that Witherspoon will develop the same way Sherman did and/or be as good of a player, but they have similar measurables if not better. Get him in the weight room, on the jugs machine, and on the sled and ....

Sherman became a great CB by studying film. Like him or hate him (I dislike him) he's a smart guy that spends a lot of time studying film. He's smart and dedicated to the game.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Witherspoon has tons of potential...his size (& room for growth), speed and desire are great. The fact he had 22 passes broken up (a ridiculous total) says opponents tried to pick on him, but he was obviously up to the challenge. He admits to not being a great tackler, but that's something Coach Hafley can tutor him on. Adding some muscle to his 6-3 frame will help him gain confidence to improve that facet of his game. The thought of him lining up opposite Robinson is exciting...two big, cat-quick CB's who can match up with any WR opponents can throw at them.

I'm excited about this kid, has the length and speed to be special.
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Just for context.

Ahkello Witherspoon (CB)
HT: 6'3" WT: 198LBS.
POSITION: CB
SCHOOL: Colorado
ARM LENGTH: 33"
HANDS: 9 7/8"
40 YARD DASH: 4.45 SEC
VERTICAL JUMP: 40.5 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 127.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 6.93 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.13 SEC
60 YARD SHUTTLE: 11.60 SEC

Richard Sherman
HT: 6'3" WT: 195LBS.
POSITION: DB
SCHOOL: Stanford
ARM LENGTH: 32"
HANDS: 9 3/4"
40 YARD DASH: 4.56 SEC
BENCH PRESS: 16 REPS
VERTICAL JUMP: 38.0 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 125.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 6.82 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.33 SEC
60 YARD SHUTTLE: 11.44 SEC

Im not saying that Witherspoon will develop the same way Sherman did and/or be as good of a player, but they have similar measurables if not better. Get him in the weight room, on the jugs machine, and on the sled and ....

Sherman became a great CB by studying film. Like him or hate him (I dislike him) he's a smart guy that spends a lot of time studying film. He's smart and dedicated to the game.

all that addy helps with the studying haha. but in all seriousness you're right. He knows all the routes of his widereceivers, the wide receivers favorite moves, how much the QB likes to throw to his side, recognizes formations, and knows the QBs tendencies. The definition of a student of the game
[ Edited by JustinNiner on May 1, 2017 at 11:04 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Sherman was a more physical CB defender. Witherspoon definitely needs to fill his frame up in order to get there. He's going to be raw at first, but he'll get there by year 2.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Sherman was a more physical CB defender. Witherspoon definitely needs to fill his frame up in order to get there. He's going to be raw at first, but he'll get there by year 2.

we all said the same thing about Robinson and he was almost 20 lbs less. He turned out alright. Im not worried about him putting on a more solid frame. I just hope he doesnt put on any weight that would affect his speed and quickness
[ Edited by JustinNiner on May 1, 2017 at 11:30 PM ]
In regards to the tackling, watching his tape, it doesn't feel like it's because he's scared to stick his nose in, more that he doesn't know what to do. He kind of hesitates, then just launches at their feet and misses. Bit of weight training and coaching he'll be alright I think.

Got to love the coverage skills though:

[ Edited by WolfTotem on May 2, 2017 at 3:03 AM ]
  • thl408
Watching tape on this guy getting to know him. He takes away everything vertical up the sideline. Good awareness of using the sideline as help. Good feel for when to look up for the ball. The way he uses his length to cut under short routes is outstanding. He has highlights on highlights displaying these strengths.

Like WolfTotem said above, I don't think his poor tackling and run defense is because he isn't willing to be a force run defender/tackler, it's that he has very poor technique and seems impatient. He dives for the thighs and if it's good enough cool, most times it's not. He never wraps up as a tackler. As a force defender he'll take himself out of the play because he isn't willing to stand his ground. I think once he gets to the NFL he'll be "peer pressured" into being a more willing tackler/force defender. Don't get into your run fit and he'll get shamed in front of the entire defensive squad during film sessions.
Originally posted by thl408:
Watching tape on this guy getting to know him. He takes away everything vertical up the sideline. Good awareness of using the sideline as help. Good feel for when to look up for the ball. The way he uses his length to cut under short routes is outstanding. He has highlights on highlights displaying these strengths.

Like WolfTotem said above, I don't think his poor tackling and run defense is because he isn't willing to be a force run defender/tackler, it's that he has very poor technique and seems impatient. He dives for the thighs and if it's good enough cool, most times it's not. He never wraps up as a tackler. As a force defender he'll take himself out of the play because he isn't willing to stand his ground. I think once he gets to the NFL he'll be "peer pressured" into being a more willing tackler/force defender. Don't get into your run fit and he'll get shamed in front of the entire defensive squad during film sessions.

Absolutely awesome! I had him mocked to us at #34...love the pick and more importantly, what his skill set will do for us and the ripple effect it will have on the entire defense (esp. when paired with Robinson on the other side). Lynch noted that tackling was in fact the one area he needed to work on and said it would be taken care of. Like you said thl, they will coach him up on outside containment, when to run support, tackling techniques, get him on a pro's diet, etc. The sky's the limit for this kid.

• thl408
His highlights can be seen anywhere, but here he is showing his weakness, and most likely the reason he was there in the 3rd round despite his very impressive coverage skills.

1v1 and won't wrap up.

------
WRs will almost always prefer to block a safety instead of a CB because safeties are better tacklers. The CB has to make the play when unblocked. Dive and hope.

------
Patience. As a force defender that arrives early, stand your ground and let the play come, then force the run inside.

Spoon rushes upfield and takes himself out.

-------
I don't know what this is. He shows the patience unlike the play above. If it's a big OL/TE, then cut them while attacking the outside to turn the run inside.

--------
Dive and hope works, sometimes. This is on Joe Williams.

Can't teach the length and athleticism that Witherspoon possesses. It's easy to see why he was targeted. It's also easy to see why he wasn't graded higher despite his coverage skills. Between Witherpoon and RRobinson, it might come down to the better zone defender winning the LCB spot, and the other one will take RCB. Both have had questions surrounding their run defense. A big part of being a good zone defender is tackling. The Cover3 scheme that Saleh uses has a 'bend don't break' philosophy. Giving up a catch is bending, missing a tackle that leads to RAC is breaking.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
he will learn.
He better grow a pair, or Reuben will force him to grow a pair.

Originally posted by thl408:
His highlights can be seen anywhere, but here he is showing his weakness, and most likely the reason he was there in the 3rd round despite his very impressive coverage skills.

Can't teach the length and athleticism that Witherspoon possesses. It's easy to see why he was targeted. It's also easy to see why he wasn't graded higher despite his coverage skills. Between Witherpoon and RRobinson, it might come down to the better zone defender winning the LCB spot, and the other one will take RCB. Both have had questions surrounding their run defense. A big part of being a good zone defender is tackling. The Cover3 scheme that Saleh uses has a 'bend don't break' philosophy. Giving up a catch is bending, missing a tackle that leads to RAC is breaking.

Nicely done thl...thanks for that one.

His run defense is the polar opposite of his coverage skills and technique...literally. Goal line, takes a slight inside stance, watches the WR, diagnoses the play, breaks before the WR and makes a play on the ball. Textbook.

Run defense? "Run defense for Dummies"

He's PRAYING Foster will be playing in front of him so he can just cover. LOL
[ Edited by NCommand on May 2, 2017 at 10:18 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
He better grow a pair, or Reuben will force him to grow a pair.

Reuben to Witherspoon: "That's your one and only warning!"
Share 49ersWebzone