There are 178 users in the forums

Ahkello Witherspoon, CB

Shop 49ers game tickets
It's said that the 3rd year is when players often make their biggest jump and start to understand how to play. I can see that. They come onto the league wide eyed and totally lost If they make the team and play fairly well they think they have it locked up. Then year 2 comes around and they often regress and look lost again as they realize they don't know as much as they thought. One thing I saw last year with Spoon and some of the other young backs is they don't know when to look back for the ball. The would have the guy covered in the corner of the end zone where there was no place for the receiver to move but would fail to look back for the ball. The receiver can't go any where so you need to look back and either swat the ball away or intercept it. I hope the learn this because they have the size and speed to cover. They just need to learn how to defend.
Witherspoon actually finished the year pretty solid. He's not a lost cause like the hater say.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Like to see what Moore can do too. The safety position required NFL game experience. 'Hey, I've seen this before' quick recognition. There's no way around it. If you must drag out a rookie or first time player, ideally you want the other safety with him to be a vet.

No doubt that's the ideal scenario...Love Colbert as a person and he's a fan favorite, I just don't think he's a quality FS or really should be starting (love for him to prove me wrong). Moore has more time at FS overall (in college) then Colbert. Moore is probably one of our best athletes on the team, dude needs to be on the field.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Witherspoon actually finished the year pretty solid. He's not a lost cause like the hater say.

even though i still have hope for him to be a decent starter, and a great front 7 will definitely help him. i'm just gonna judge him based on real games, not practice hype.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
It's OTAs

Lets not suck each other's D**Ks just yet

Why else would we be here?
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by captveg:
If he's improved that can only be good news.

he hasn't.

Are you there watching minicap, or are you disputing the beat writer reports because of your bias?

He's trolling, as usual.
Nice to see him working on the footwork. When he can get the footwork correctly without thinking and just reacting to reading his man like Sherman-- watch out--don"t sleep on Spoon
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jul 20, 2019 at 6:39 AM ]
He needs to work on using his hands. Dude plays like he's 5-9.
Originally posted by Heroism:

Agreed, his footwork was never a real issue...lack of use with his hands/ physicality plus the mental stuff is what needs to be worked on.

Hopefully the upgrade at DB coach will help him

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Heroism:

Agreed, his footwork was never a real issue...lack of use with his hands/ physicality plus the mental stuff is what needs to be worked on.

Hopefully the upgrade at DB coach will help him

He needs to look back for the ball when in coverage and not face guard. He could easily have more picks if he just plays the ball.
I've not given up on this guy.

I like it. Definitely would of been an interception for a touchdown.
Originally posted by WINiner:
I've not given up on this guy.

I wish I shared your faith. I was never a fan of this pick. I loved his measurables and athleticism as a prospect, but his timidness is a dealbreaker for me. I can't get down with craven football players. If this was soccer or basketball, sure, maybe he cant get by but this is football.

Jason Verrett is 5-9, 180 lbs yet plays bigger than Ahkello.

When the Seahawks play the 49ers this season, I expect them to run that crack toss to Ahkello's side a lot. Dude is scary as hell. Last year he tried to pretend he was busy engaging Doug Baldin to avoid having to tackle Rashaad Penny on that 20-yard TD.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jul 20, 2019 at 4:15 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I like it. Definitely would of been an interception for a touchdown.

I just like he is seeking expert help. Like solomon and Arik, the more instruction, the better

I'll stay hopeful as long as joe Woods for the DBs and Kocurek for the DL were brot in. Honestly, DBs and DL got less than short shrift until now and young kids just out of college....who knows if they had good coaching or not. I've seen Joe's work (in Denver) and kocurek's in the NFC north. Not saying these are the best guys anywhere but really last two yrs, we essentially had a LB coach and that was it. We gotta be better based on good coaching for a change, and of course a massive talent infusion in the front 7.

But had Saleh not had added K and W , i would expect not much more than we saw from our D the last two yrs. Saleh to his credit was told to stop the runs up the gut which were just abysmal....but he definitely was limp on DL and DBs.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jul 20, 2019 at 4:17 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone