LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He'll still play base Leo. Ford has had injury issues and is crap against the run anyways. Kocurek also apparently likes a big rotation so he should see plenty of snaps inside too.

With Q maybe but that won't last long because he sucks at it. 4th worse at generating pressure. You can't play wide 9 with ends that can't get near the qb. He'll do fine as an inside rotational piece but you can't expect a big season there.

With Bosa he'll take the big leo spot. We'd really have to see some injuries to get to him at edge which btw is a good thing.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 20, 2019 at 2:37 PM ]
Originally posted by ninerjok:
I don't think he pays attention or gives two s**ts about any of the outside noise. He experienced a personal tragedy with his sister last year, who he's extremely close with, I wouldn't wish on anybody. Guy played the best he could under the circumstances. Some insensitive as hell people would say "just get over it" but I don't think anyone really gets over that kind of thing. They just learn how to manage their grief and emotions over time a lot better.

Hate to say it but I think he does pay attention to it. He's on social media a lot. Often times when I'm on there scrolling football stuff, he had already liked the picture.

He's probably battling depression of his own. Hope he can cope with it and be the beast he's capable of being
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
I don't think he pays attention or gives two s**ts about any of the outside noise. He experienced a personal tragedy with his sister last year, who he's extremely close with, I wouldn't wish on anybody. Guy played the best he could under the circumstances. Some insensitive as hell people would say "just get over it" but I don't think anyone really gets over that kind of thing. They just learn how to manage their grief and emotions over time a lot better.

Hate to say it but I think he does pay attention to it. He's on social media a lot. Often times when I'm on there scrolling football stuff, he had already liked the picture.

He's probably battling depression of his own. Hope he can cope with it and be the beast he's capable of being

Totally agree - he does pay attention to it.

I hope he can channel all his frustrations et al into improving his game.
We locking this puppy up if the 49ers draft Quinnen Williams?
Originally posted by Heroism:

Not quite, he can do his run stuffing edge role, and rotate inside. 2 more years on his rookie deal then move on.

I've got a question though, what if we draft Bosa, and he plays well on a line with Buck, Ford and Bosa. Do we then look at his 5th year option and an extension?

What if the improved play is down to his linemates, not his game improvement, then we say have to let go of Ford or Buck and all of a sudden he sucks again.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

Not quite, he can do his run stuffing edge role, and rotate inside. 2 more years on his rookie deal then move on.

I've got a question though, what if we draft Bosa, and he plays well on a line with Buck, Ford and Bosa. Do we then look at his 5th year option and an extension?

What if the improved play is down to his linemates, not his game improvement, then we say have to let go of Ford or Buck and all of a sudden he sucks again.
We are over thinking it. We can apply the same logic to Jones,day, AA etc being lined up with ford-buck-Bosa. So if they are playing Thomas over then they believe he's the best.

Lock it up. They'll try him at end but does anyone think he's even better than Blair at edge not factoring inside work? You don't play wide 9 to run stuff.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 20, 2019 at 3:57 PM ]

This or AA...whatever 1st rounder you prefer.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

We are over thinking it. We can apply the same logic to Jones,day, AA etc being lined up with ford-buck-Bosa. So if they are playing Thomas over then they believe he's the best.

Not at all, Thomas's 5th year option will be 10+ mil (AB help for exact figure) we already force fed him reps over Day last year.

We wouldn't necessarily know where the improvement had come from, would be an issue come contract time.

If he's really good then yea keep him. Depends on how good, what position, what other players we have at those positions, the cap situations, and if we have any other players to sign around that time.

Originally posted by NCommand:
This or AA...whatever 1st rounder you prefer.

I can live with AA because I hated that pick from day 1, and he's not this regime's mistake. But Solomon would be a tough pill to swallow. They invested the third overall pick and never gave him a chance to play at his best position. Not to mention the extenuating circumstance he's dealt with.

Dee Ford will be an old 32-years-old fart (in NFL years lol) by the time Bosa needs an extension. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Dee Ford will be an old 32-years-old fart (in NFL years lol) by the time Bosa needs an extension. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Fair point, but we still would have paid Solly probably 12 mil per thinking that he's good, when it was just the ridiculous talent around him.

I don't see us doing that. Thomas and Ford don't even play the same position, or rather they SHOULDN'T play the same position. And its a pretty safe bet Buck stays, no matter what. I think we see Thomas for 2-3 more years and then he moves on. Either he is going to live up to expectations and we won't be able to afford him or he will be a good player, but still be too expensive to keep. If he turns into a good rotational player, it may be cheaper to draft another guy. If he sucks, well then that makes the decision easy.
^^^ I think one yr , just left alone, playing where he should ahve been all along, inside, and we never , ever doubt Solomon again. Just let him play his position and we get one great talent. Move him around and mainly outside where he doesn't belong and get same result. BAD. Just do what should have been done initially, and Solly will be just fine thank you.

But screwing around with setting him up inside and then Zgonina moves him outside just before the snap....particularly when Kyle had told Saleh and Zgonina to play him inside...expect the same failed result. Play him inside , keep him there, and bingo. We don't have a winner, we have a great winner.

Solly's play after a full yr inside will be a moot point , way before end of yr. I'll bet it isn't brot up again by midseason if he is kept inside. Here's an example of Zgonina running over his boss, the DC. And his HC, Kyle. No more of this garbage this yr. and, no zgonnia here to screw things up.
Share 49ersWebzone