LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 297 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Thanks.

A. I don't remember him struggling against double teams in college; kind of comes with the territory with 3 DL vs. 5 OL. But that IS college so I know where you're going with that.

B. That's the biggest reason right here.

Seriously. Jones is still taking far less snaps than him.

Big End for Thomas or far more nickel, like you said. It's not like we aren't built to stop the run with Armstead, Mitchell, Jones, Day, Buckner, Thomas and Foster and Warner behind them.

He did struggle against double teams in college. That is true. I vividly remember that while scouting him in college. Big end or Leo makes no difference to me. He still ends up being an edge rusher in base against the pass. The only difference is the side.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Still a stud vs the run...get him inside on more passing downs and we will see some positive things

Never in doubt. Dude is excellent against the run.

Thanks! I don't remember that but you guys certainly spent more time studying his overall game than I did.

Yeah, esp. these days...BE or LEO, same difference. I just want him in over AA esp. with this beefcake and Buckner inside.

[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 19, 2018 at 6:08 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Still a stud vs the run...get him inside on more passing downs and we will see some positive things

But but the webzone says hes trash

I was guilty of this, but after reviewing the tape he was actually fairly disruptive. Even the missed tackle was a good play. He just needs to learn how to finish.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I was guilty of this, but after reviewing the tape he was actually fairly disruptive. Even the missed tackle was a good play. He just needs to learn how to finish.

Even still, I don't think he will fit the billing of the 3rd overall pick. I personally never doubted his ability to stuff the run, its the pass rushing that will truly show if he is worth the pick.
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Even still, I don't think he will fit the billing of the 3rd overall pick. I personally never doubted his ability to stuff the run, its the pass rushing that will truly show if he is worth the pick.

For the hundredth time, damn you Kaep....we could've had Myles Garrett. in all fairness, who do we take at that spot? Fournette? In a role reversal, I believe Jimmy G performs better than Mahomes. In retrospect, it would've been better to trade back again from #3 for more picks. Thomas is a beast and a good football player but he's a bust for a top 5 pick.

I never envisioned him as a pass rusher like miller or mack. I thought of him as a disruptor inside, like aaron donald. I think we end up drafting an edge player next year to complete the d line.

I never envisioned him as a pass rusher like miller or mack. I thought of him as a disruptor inside, like aaron donald. I think we end up drafting an edge player next year to complete the d line.

I would love it if ST becomes donald lite. With that said, I'm hoping we finally figure out a good rotation between AA and ST and draft someone like montez sweat or brian burns.
Play him next to Buckner. What's so damn difficult.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:
Forgot to point out that Solly manhandled the same tight end(#87) that was kicking Arik Armstead's ass.

Wow, that's eye opening.
Real s**t.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24665423/san-francisco-49ers-solomon-thomas-pens-emotional-essay-sister

On Jan. 23, the morning she died, I woke up early to go train at the high school in Southlake. Ella wasn't home, but we just thought she was staying with a friend and weren't too concerned. 
I came home from my workout around 11, and she wasn't there. My mom texted me asking if I had heard from her. I told her I hadn't. My mom stopped texting me around noon. At 1, my dad called and told me what happened. I was at home alone. I collapsed and fell to the ground, screaming and crying. Ella had a pit bull named Mickey. That moment is still a blur. The only thing I remember is Mickey licking my tears.

I kept calling my dad, who was in New York, and telling him to fly home safely. My mom was at Ella's friend's house, where she died. My dad didn't want me to go, but I had to. I drove over there, hoping and praying it wasn't true. But when I saw red and blue lights flashing, I knew. I saw my mom crying and walked over to her. Then we just hugged and cried and screamed together.

People ask me what my life is like now that she's gone. On the one hand, I'm thankful for each day 
I get to still be alive. I'm beyond blessed. I have two beautiful parents; I went to my dream college; and now I get to play football for a living. I know how lucky I am. But I'm also struggling every day. Sometimes life just sucks and I go to a dark place. She was my best friend and my only sister, and I won't ever get to talk with her again. I just want her back, and there's nothing I can do about it. The days are hard. The nights are harder.
The one thing I know for sure is that if Ella knew how much her loved ones were suffering right 
now, she would never have taken her own life. And I don't want her death to be in vain. I want to help other people who struggle like she did and to help other survivors. So many families are going through this right now and suffering in silence. Every day is a fight. There's always help. There's love. There's hope. It's hard to say there's hope because I won't see my sister again. But there is hope.

To families out there going through this: The best thing you can do is stay together. It's always one day at a time. Today you might not be as wrecked as you were yesterday, but your mom might be. So pull together to support her. The next day, she's probably gonna be the one lifting you up. That's how it goes.

I feel like someone out there is reading this right now who doesn't know how they are going to be able to make it through the rest of their life without the person who has just taken their life. Trust me, I know that feeling. But I know it can be done, as painful as it is. You've just gotta keep fighting every day. And to the people who are struggling with anxiety and depression, please do not feel bad about yourselves. Do not feel ashamed. It's not your fault. You're feeling that way for a reason. And there is help. You might not find the right therapist at first, or the right medication, but keep trying, keep fighting. Talk about it. Be kind to yourselves.

I've noticed that when you lose someone to suicide, a lot of people don't know what to say to you. It's human nature to ask what happened when you find out someone young died. But when the answer is that they took their own life, people tend to get quiet and change the subject, out of fear that it's too painful to talk about. I know these people mean well, but I'd rather talk about it than not talk about it. I'm always thinking about it anyway.

Talking helps. There's never a right thing to say, so stop worrying about saying the right thing.

I worry about my parents every day. They are the two most incredible people I've ever met. They show me their love every day, even though they're going through the hardest day of their lives over and over again. They fight every day to live for their baby girl. They have this saying that if you cry it's a good day because it means you let it out.

This summer I did a walk for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, and 2,000 people showed up. A lady who had lost five siblings and both parents to suicide came up to me and told me I was being so strong. Me? That blew me away. I met a woman whose son took his own life at age 10. Ten. This has to stop. Suicide is a top-five cause of death in America for ages 13 to 35, and according to the CDC, rates are rising in every state but one.

We have to reach people at a young age and bring awareness to depression and anxiety and take away the stigma. A little kid might be feeling depressed and not even have the language to know what it is. The worst thing we can do is to ignore the warning signs or encourage kids to bottle things up and not cry or talk about what's bothering them.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RidetheHyde:
Play him next to Buckner. What's so damn difficult.

• jcs
  • Veteran

That will only happen once Saleh puts him in a position to succeed rather than fail.
I would like to note that even with all the negativity I have said about this pick. We need to see Thomas play inside all downs to see how he does. We could pick up any... and I mean ANY outside DE or even play Blair outside on base downs because I know at least Thomas could do just as well as Mitchell inside a NT. (Plus Jones needs more snaps than mitchel... Mitchell needs to be cut like I've said for awhile too)
The majority of time our d line should have solly and buck inside with blair and marsh on the outside.

Get it done saleh it aint hard to figure out

Is that how low it's sunk? To classify a missed tackle as a "good play?"
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Real s**t.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24665423/san-francisco-49ers-solomon-thomas-pens-emotional-essay-sister

On Jan. 23, the morning she died, I woke up early to go train at the high school in Southlake. Ella wasn't home, but we just thought she was staying with a friend and weren't too concerned. 
I came home from my workout around 11, and she wasn't there. My mom texted me asking if I had heard from her. I told her I hadn't. My mom stopped texting me around noon. At 1, my dad called and told me what happened. I was at home alone. I collapsed and fell to the ground, screaming and crying. Ella had a pit bull named Mickey. That moment is still a blur. The only thing I remember is Mickey licking my tears.

I kept calling my dad, who was in New York, and telling him to fly home safely. My mom was at Ella's friend's house, where she died. My dad didn't want me to go, but I had to. I drove over there, hoping and praying it wasn't true. But when I saw red and blue lights flashing, I knew. I saw my mom crying and walked over to her. Then we just hugged and cried and screamed together.

People ask me what my life is like now that she's gone. On the one hand, I'm thankful for each day 
I get to still be alive. I'm beyond blessed. I have two beautiful parents; I went to my dream college; and now I get to play football for a living. I know how lucky I am. But I'm also struggling every day. Sometimes life just sucks and I go to a dark place. She was my best friend and my only sister, and I won't ever get to talk with her again. I just want her back, and there's nothing I can do about it. The days are hard. The nights are harder.
The one thing I know for sure is that if Ella knew how much her loved ones were suffering right 
now, she would never have taken her own life. And I don't want her death to be in vain. I want to help other people who struggle like she did and to help other survivors. So many families are going through this right now and suffering in silence. Every day is a fight. There's always help. There's love. There's hope. It's hard to say there's hope because I won't see my sister again. But there is hope.

To families out there going through this: The best thing you can do is stay together. It's always one day at a time. Today you might not be as wrecked as you were yesterday, but your mom might be. So pull together to support her. The next day, she's probably gonna be the one lifting you up. That's how it goes.

I feel like someone out there is reading this right now who doesn't know how they are going to be able to make it through the rest of their life without the person who has just taken their life. Trust me, I know that feeling. But I know it can be done, as painful as it is. You've just gotta keep fighting every day. And to the people who are struggling with anxiety and depression, please do not feel bad about yourselves. Do not feel ashamed. It's not your fault. You're feeling that way for a reason. And there is help. You might not find the right therapist at first, or the right medication, but keep trying, keep fighting. Talk about it. Be kind to yourselves.

I've noticed that when you lose someone to suicide, a lot of people don't know what to say to you. It's human nature to ask what happened when you find out someone young died. But when the answer is that they took their own life, people tend to get quiet and change the subject, out of fear that it's too painful to talk about. I know these people mean well, but I'd rather talk about it than not talk about it. I'm always thinking about it anyway.

Talking helps. There's never a right thing to say, so stop worrying about saying the right thing.

I worry about my parents every day. They are the two most incredible people I've ever met. They show me their love every day, even though they're going through the hardest day of their lives over and over again. They fight every day to live for their baby girl. They have this saying that if you cry it's a good day because it means you let it out.

This summer I did a walk for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, and 2,000 people showed up. A lady who had lost five siblings and both parents to suicide came up to me and told me I was being so strong. Me? That blew me away. I met a woman whose son took his own life at age 10. Ten. This has to stop. Suicide is a top-five cause of death in America for ages 13 to 35, and according to the CDC, rates are rising in every state but one.

We have to reach people at a young age and bring awareness to depression and anxiety and take away the stigma. A little kid might be feeling depressed and not even have the language to know what it is. The worst thing we can do is to ignore the warning signs or encourage kids to bottle things up and not cry or talk about what's bothering them.

That is heavy, and puts this silly football talk in perspective. Depression is a silent killer for sure, and it is great that Solomon is using his notoriety and platform to bring it to light. It brings to mind this saying for me.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Share 49ersWebzone