LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
seriously...? Madison retired the year after, he was old in 2007...and Rolle was a good player but he wasn't a great FS either.

2x all pro isn't that good? What are your standards? By that logic is Justin Tuck that good? 2x all pro too.
  • KiwiM
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Puckdaddy:
The question still stands. Where are the strong DBs on the roster that would warrant a strong focus on DL and no attention to the secondary?

No attention to the secondary? There's been 1 pick!

Pass rush helps coverage. More so than the other way around.

Thomas helps pass rush and stopping the run.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I am well aware that I am speaking as a fan and not someone who is analyzing the pick.

I wanted offense.

Can't always get what you want. If you heard Lynch, Shanahan and Saleh talk, it was pretty clear that defense was going to be a major priority, especially stopping the run. This isn't going to be a one year rebuild so if they lockdown defense this year and focus on offense next year, I'm okay with that.

However I think you'll see them add another WR, definitely a RB, some more OL help...etc. Still expecting Peterman in the 3rd round, even moreso now.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
seriously...? Madison retired the year after, he was old in 2007...and Rolle was a good player but he wasn't a great FS either.

2x all pro isn't that good? What are your standards? By that logic is Justin Tuck that good? 2x all pro too.

looked it up, and he's a 2nd team all pro, still good enough for me, i had that wrong. but you really think those giant teams would've lost without him? come on, everybody knows it was that dline that got those Giant teams the SB.. even the talking heads agree on that lol. Brady was on his ass half the game, and that had nothing to do with Rolle. he was more of a commodity during that SB run. they could've had Mike Rumph at FS and still won.
[ Edited by TheHYDE49er on Apr 27, 2017 at 8:27 PM ]
its cool that you are new to football and don't understand the significance a strong dline can have on a secondary, but please stop posting like it's factual what you are saying.

Right because you saw me state that DL was insignificant. Then you deemed me new to football based on something I NEVER said. Smh I understand the significance of EVERY position. That's what separates me from you. I won't draft a DL every year until the DL pans out. Unless the DL is ready to take accountability for all of the teams woes. Instead I'm goin to put pieces around them in which they can prosper in order to separate the problem from the power.
Originally posted by Senzino:
This guy seems a little clean cut and polite to be the beast we need on the line.

Anyone else kind of feel the same way?

Watch him play...

He plays very differently than he acts.
looked it up, and he's a 2nd team all pro, still good enough for me, i had that wrong. but you really think those giant teams would've lost without him? come on, everybody knows it was that dline that got those Giant teams the SB.. even the talking heads agree on that lol. Brady was on his ass half the game, and that had nothing to do with Rolle. he was more of a commodity during that SB run. they could've had Mike Rumph at FS and still won.

Yes, it was the d line and Eli but they weren't a great d and instead just got hot at the right time a few times. Also missed the playoffs how many times during that stretch?
its cool that you are new to football and don't understand the significance a strong dline can have on a secondary, but please stop posting like it's factual what you are saying.

Right because you saw me state that DL was insignificant. Then you deemed me new to football based on something I NEVER said. Smh I understand the significance of EVERY position. That's what separates me from you. I won't draft a DL every year until the DL pans out. Unless the DL is ready to take accountability for all of the teams woes. Instead I'm goin to put pieces around them in which they can prosper in order to separate the problem from the power.

i'm just going by what you are saying. excuse me for not being able to also read your mind.
Originally posted by KiwiM:
No attention to the secondary? There's been 1 pick!

Pass rush helps coverage. More so than the other way around.

Thomas helps pass rush and stopping the run.
i'm just going by what you are saying. excuse me for not being able to also read your mind.

Ok and how long do we give the DL to develop before the team focuses on other parts of the defense? Or do we risk it another year until we are correct like an egotistical rich kid?
[ Edited by Puckdaddy on Apr 27, 2017 at 8:35 PM ]
3 PAC 12 players.. On the DL... If you would leave the PAC 12 alone you wouldn't have to draft the same position over and over and over again. If it wasn't for the extra picks we fleeced out of CHI I would puke. Should have taken Fournette, not because RB is a need but because that kid is going to be the best player out of this class.

I'll take Thomas, Foster and a 3rd any day.
Originally posted by Force_Choke:
3 PAC 12 players.. On the DL... If you would leave the PAC 12 alone you wouldn't have to draft the same position over and over and over again. If it wasn't for the extra picks we fleeced out of CHI I would puke. Should have taken Fournette, not because RB is a need but because that kid is going to be the best player out of this class.

Foster is solid but we still need a CB!
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Unless you can get a fqb.

Was there a Franchise QB in this draft? QB trumps all...imo there is not a franchise QB in this draft. I'm sure though we will take one before it's over though. Just not in the first when a top graded player a premium position of need which DL was.

We shall see, if Shanahan missed one I will be disappointed. If he gets a FQB tomorrow, I will be overjoyed.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Apr 27, 2017 at 8:45 PM ]
  • KiwiM
  • Veteran
Ok and how long do we give the DL to develop before the team focuses on other parts of the defense? Or do we risk it another year until we are correct like an egotistical rich kid?

They just focused on another part of the defense by selecting a linebacker Reuben Foster.

This is year 1 of a new regime - the 'another year' doesn't really apply.
  • kaynj
  • Veteran
Drafting 3 d line in a round reminds me of the cowboys drafting all those o line men in consecutive years. How's that turned out for them. Hopefully are d line will beast in the upcoming years.
Share 49ersWebzone