LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by KiwiM:
This is a multi year rebuild. You draft from the inside out. Stopping the run was the #1 priority for the defense. They've just gone a long way to addressing that. Also his pass rush will help the corners.
Originally posted by Puckdaddy:
This is a multi year rebuild. You draft from the inside out. Stopping the run was the #1 priority for the defense. They've just gone a long way to addressing that. Also his pass rush will help the corners.

Again, our DL is more than good enough to get the job done. The objective is not to have the best line ever but to the detriment of having the worst secondary or the worst receiving core. I mean why not compound our backs for depth? Our Corners? Our wide outs? DL was one of our stronger points last year. That pick was immature at best.

Well that;s one man's opinion. Problem with CBs, Ss, WRs. QBs, and none was a top 3 or top 5 pick . They were in the top 6-8 maybe, but surely weren't the 2nd best player in the draft. Solomon was...er..#3 pick as we got the #2 pick plus an extra rd 3 and 4, both high, and a rd 3 next yr. And you think that is not the best player/pak we could have gotten? Wow, how we could have done better than that, i have no idea. We done great, a solid A. With the 3 extra picks, make it an A+ Ok, gotta give CHI a hand in making this an even better pick...but great job by Lynch. Great pick, best pick available for us. An IMPACT /all pro potential DL? Cripes you can't turn that down. Terrific pick, incredible valu for the pak.

I love lynch. Great job.
The run defense was atrocious so I disagree completely with the bold. We need upgrades to the run stopping and pass rush - so if that's the case how is our D line more than good enough.

Running Backs can be had later in the draft under a Shanahan system. He's proven in - plus it's a deep RB draft. Same with safety if we want to strengthen that later in the draft.

We also will be getting back bowman and added two players Mitchell and Smith who will be paramount in closing up the run. I'm sorry that was s knee jerk pick
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Dude i could have ran on the 49ers defense last year. They were horrible man. This kid is NOT a bad pick, maybe not sexy, but its a good pick.

That's right because Mitchell was there, Smith was here and Bowman was there. Cmon man you are being disingenuous

You build a team along the lines. And there is an old saying you can never have enough good d-linemen. Don't get me wrong - I wanted to go safety or trade down. We fleeced Chicago, and we got the same guy we could have gotten at 2. Its a good pick up, not sexy, but its how you improve a young team.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
A team full of holes drafting for depth? Three straight first picks spent on defensive ends seems like a mistake.

Thomas played in a 3-4 at Stanford, tasked with disrupting opposing offenses from the interior against guards, much like Armstead and Buckner during their college careers at Oregon. Thomas is redundant, which might not necessarily be a bad thing. Depth is good.

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/20/does-solomon-thomas-fit-with-49ers-at-no-2-in-nfl-draft/

Not very creative.

Originally posted by TheWooLick:
A team full of holes drafting for depth? Three straight first picks spent on defensive ends seems like a mistake.

Thomas played in a 3-4 at Stanford, tasked with disrupting opposing offenses from the interior against guards, much like Armstead and Buckner during their college careers at Oregon. Thomas is redundant, which might not necessarily be a bad thing. Depth is good.

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/20/does-solomon-thomas-fit-with-49ers-at-no-2-in-nfl-draft/

Not very creative.

this...homer pick...dumb
[ Edited by Bobbi9698 on Apr 27, 2017 at 7:34 PM ]
Again, our DL is more than good enough to get the job done. The objective is not to have the best line ever but to the detriment of having the worst secondary or the worst receiving core. I mean why not compound our backs for depth? Our Corners? Our wide outs? DL was one of our stronger points last year. That pick was immature at best.

Did you watch the same team last year?

Our secondary was the strength of the defense last year...and that was with the terrible front line and no pass rush. The secondary depth in this class is insane. We have plenty of other picks to address the secondary. Stop being a drama queen.
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
this...homer pick...dumb

Homer pick? Are you serious?

Stop posting that idiocy reported by someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

Our coaches and front office drafted this kid. Obviously they don't think he's redundant. Honestly some of you make me embarrassed to be a 49ers fan.
Wow 😂😂😂😂 he could have selected Barbra Bush and some of you guys would have justified it with ideas on paper, enthusiastic hypothetics and ones sided views all while ignoring the fact that the DL was fine with or without Thomas. But our secondary is not fine with a situation where our best corner is a 4th corner at best.

This is just a ridiculously self-serving summary of what many have written here.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
New coaches. Can't pin past mistakes on this new regime.

You can pin redundant and useless picks on them.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Absolutely amazed we got some fans crying over taking one of the 3 best players in the draft....Garrett, Solomon, Allen,. But allen has been playing injured, (he's still great), Garrett went #1, and we got the best DL in the draft....also one of the best two players in draft. What is wrong with that?

"Build your lines first"....Vince Lombardi. Well, Lynch and Kyle pretty well fixed the OL and O with Zuttah and then Jusczyk. Gilliam as a good backup. Sure we need a QB, WR, but we gotta build our D and the DL is the place to start As for where Solomon plays? Well ,that is why i said Saleh has the toughest job on the team. Get the talent and then put out a D that utilizes all our guys. Don't get so buried in 3t, 1t, 5 t....just let Saleh figure out who goes where best....and almost surely, WHEN and more to the point, WHERE. What we got was something we are running low on....an all pro/IMPACT players, who we need as a leader. Could we have made a better choice? Jamal adams...at #2? Way too high for a S. Williams as WR? Yep but at #2, ok, #3, too high. Garrett? Gone to Cleve. So we got :

Potential all pro.(Likely)
Definite IMPACT player
Team Leader (all character guy with huge work ethic....oh yeah, helluva athlete). Oh, and we are about out of gas with our two IMPACT leaders...Bow and Joe. We had to have Solomon.

DL member....cripes we couldn't stop anybody's run game all yr. Hell yeah we needed an IMPACT, all pro DL.
John gets the talent, Saleh figures out how to use it. That means finding a place for AA and as PHX said, that might mean moving all over. Fantastic, can't wait to see it.
And, and....we picked the Bears pocket for a rd 3, rd 4 and then rd 3 next yr....we were going to take him anyway...Lynch just sweetened the pick. I love it.

So Kyle and John worked on OL in FA, and now gave a huge lift to DL. How on earth can anyone not like that, esp with 3 pieces of candy besides, thank you Lynch and CHI.

Wow 😂😂😂😂 he could have selected Barbra Bush and some of you guys would have justified it with ideas on paper, enthusiastic hypothetics and ones sided views all while ignoring the fact that the DL was fine with or without Thomas. But our secondary is not fine with a situation where our best corner is a 4th corner at best.

"The DL was FINE without Solomon" .....riight. DL couldn 't stop jack diddly . So our DL was Fine? Just watch that FINE DL on any tape from last yr. Ain't there.
Originally posted by genus49:

Our secondary was the strength of the defense last year...and that was with the terrible front line and no pass rush. The secondary depth in this class is insane. We have plenty of other picks to address the secondary. Stop being a drama queen.

Thank you!!!

Homer pick? Are you serious?

Stop posting that idiocy reported by someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

Our coaches and front office drafted this kid. Obviously they don't think he's redundant. Honestly some of you make me embarrassed to be a 49ers fan.

You should be embarrassed to be a 49ers fan. they have picked the same position 3 years in a row.
better pass rusher than AA, solid against the run, we have a 4-3 front anyway so someone is getting kicked inside (prolly AA) with buck and thomas attacking from the same side and Lynch/new rookie on the other side. we can get corners and safeties in the next few rounds, this is an insanely deep defensive draft. we can take all defense and peterman in the 3rd and call it a good draft. maybe take a big fast small school receiver or RB at the end of the draft too
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Well that;s one man's opinion. Problem with CBs, Ss, WRs. QBs, and none was a top 3 or top 5 pick . They were in the top 6-8 maybe, but surely weren't the 2nd best player in the draft. Solomon was...er..#3 pick as we got the #2 pick plus an extra rd 3 and 4, both high, and a rd 3 next yr. And you think that is not the best player/pak we could have gotten? Wow, how we could have done better than that, i have no idea. We done great, a solid A. With the 3 extra picks, make it an A+ Ok, gotta give CHI a hand in making this an even better pick...but great job by Lynch. Great pick, best pick available for us. An IMPACT /all pro potential DL? Cripes you can't turn that down. Terrific pick, incredible valu for the pak.

I love lynch. Great job.

You don't select the best player available when the position of that player is a position that is deep on your depth chart. You select the player as just as good as him but at a position of need. I will never understand this.

Don't get me wrong, if he turns out great I will eat my crow with a smile and a full stomach, but this is one of those picks that seems like an attempt to be seen in a particular image

Wow. How fast people forget the D gave up franchise record amount of rushing yards. Front 7 was push around like kindergarteners.
Share 49ersWebzone