LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 327 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
I am white defender of ST and yes he is a backup, I do think we need him very much but at this point if he ever turns out to be a 4-5 sack guy that would be best.

If he plays nose tackle this week an does well, then hey great. But at this point it's almost as if you want him to lose 20-25 lbs a an become an outside LB speed rusher. Who's knows anymore but man what a whiff. He didn't have an easy road and a big hill to climb, I can admit that. I hope things change but I think the team knows what they have. He gets about 30 snaps a game. That's what they think he is

To his credit, he did have a sack last week, but it was voided on a penalty.

Solomon is a DT, he has had PT, and knows the system on D. We are short on DL. Who on earth doesnt' think we need him desperately at this point in time? Anyone thiniking otherwise is just not being realistic. Look, we got this far wth good backups. Injury has taken those away. We need guys who have played next to guys out there right now. No brainer
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Dec 12, 2019 at 5:57 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers81:
It would seem that with all of the players that they would like to extend or re-sign they may not be able to wait on Thomas much longer to fulfill his potential. I could easily see them cutting him loose next year to free up a bit of cap space.

Hopefully, if he goes on to FA - he doesn't receive any offers and we can bring him back, as a backup player and stick him back in the rotation.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 12, 2019 at 5:39 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
We should convert him to a FB.

We should convert him to another roster.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by teylo31:

Definitely, a major blunder taking him at #3.
Originally posted by Niners418:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Agreed - we'll take anything productive from him. Make some plays starting this week vs. the Falcons...would be a big shot in the arm for this DL. I hate to ask the % of snaps AA, Buck, & Bosa are playing the last few games.

Please don't quote Grant. We know the depth has been killed but the week 8 snaps are when we beat the Panthers by 40 so clearly they were rested. Curious the snaps week 14 vs other weeks.

Well, in this particular case I don't think he is wrong. I have seen this mentioned in a couple of other articles as well. One of the reasons they stocked up on d-linemen was so that they could rotate them in and keep them fresh so they could get after the passer the whole game. Blair, Moore and Jones all done for the season. J. Taylor week to week with an elbow injury. They are literally down to their practice squad players as back-ups along the line and a guy who hasn't played a meaningful snap of football in almost two years, assuming they activate Street at all.

It sucks.....he just seems to be the ultimate tweener, not fast enough on the edge, not powerful enough inside to take on double teams in run defense. His only sweet spot is inside one on one in a pass rush situation.
Originally posted by Thanos89:

It sucks.....he just seems to be the ultimate tweener, not fast enough on the edge, not powerful enough inside to take on double teams in run defense. His only sweet spot is inside one on one in a pass rush situation.

Same utter BS over and over again. Why does nobody ever listen?

Thomas is literally the strongest player on the roster. He is also as pure a DT as it gets. He can not play on the edge. At all. There is no bigger gap in performance from one position compared to another than with Thomas as a DT in comparison to him as a DE. As a DE, he's not even NFL caliber. As a DT, he is a frontline starter.
He's gotta be a top 10 all time Niner bust. Especially at #3...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JustWin2019:
Originally posted by Thanos89:

Same utter BS over and over again. Why does nobody ever listen?

Thomas is literally the strongest player on the roster. He is also as pure a DT as it gets. He can not play on the edge. At all. There is no bigger gap in performance from one position compared to another than with Thomas as a DT in comparison to him as a DE. As a DE, he's not even NFL caliber. As a DT, he is a frontline starter.

As a DT he's a frontline starter?
I thought he was on IR can't remember the last time I've heard his name on the telecast. Stop picking Stanford players in the 1st round.

Originally posted by Waterbear:
.be

I turned a lot of clips into gifs before the Ravens game just to realize tiny pic is not an option anymore and I don't know how to post self made gifs now so I went back and made a video, and I gotta say it was much more fun. Unfortunately I had a lot of things come up so I haven't had time to post much on here period, let alone go back and forth with Solomon's mother/part time psyhcic.

There's a lot to discuss, I unlocked peak trolling with myself, and I learned more about all Dline on the team with the rest of the DLine videos to come(considering Thomas is supposed to be comparable interior passrusher and the best run defender on the team). Let the "justwin" spin begin and a more in depth breakdown to follow.

...Oh, and I seriously apologize in advance.

So after being challenged to come up with examples from the Arizona game...the first clip is you going back to LAST YEAR to find a clip of him at DEFENSIVE END.

Do you see how ridiculous you are being?

You also reveal just how embarrassingly little you know about the game with these clips.

1. Thomas is not responsible for the gap outside a WR blocking down. He doesn't have the angle and his gap is inside. WR #83 picking off two other defenders on that run was what sprung that run, however.

2. LOL, after delaying and delaying the very next clip is you using this last game. Yes, Thomas over-pursued against zone blocking on this play (that cutback is the key to zone blocking). He was nowhere near as bad there as your hero, D.J. Jones, was against this vs. the Rams on the first drive of that game, however.

3. Hey look, in a video about RUN DEFENSE, you included a PASS PLAY (where he reads screen on what was, in fact, a screen). And you have the gall to act snarky in this video where you make a complete fool of yourself? Christ.

4. This is a good play by Thomas. He perfectly occupies a double team (neither blocker is able to peel off and block an unblocked defender) and keeps Tartt (who was lined up at linebacker on this play; Dre Greenlaw is covering the slot) completely free. The problem is Tartt got trucked by Peterson, instead of stopping this for what should have been no more than a gain of 2. Football. Novice.

5. And, just as I predicted. You don't grasp recognition or gap responsibility. At all. Thomas set the defense up to stop this by correctly recognizing where the play was going and jumping across the guard to his outside shoulder, despite originally being responsible for the A gap. Greenlaw's inability to beat the WR to the edge was what sprung the run here. I especially love how you post every play twice (because you couldn't find anything) and then insert irrelevant attempts at lowbrow meme crap after plays that show just how little you know about the game.

6. Oh goodie, your buddies in this thread tipped you off to this one. 3 weeks of running away for this.

7. Hey look, another play from LAST YEAR. Remember that Cardinals game we were talking about 4 weeks ago? Here, Thomas gets his foot stepped on and loses his balance. That's what happens when you're off balance and a pulling guard blind sides you (that's JR Sweezy, whom Thomas has dominated one-on-one in their matchups).

8. Hey look, yet another play from LAST YEAR. And this is a scheme F up by Saleh (badly timed run blitz). He was doing exactly what the coaches asked of him on that play.

9. A pass play where Murray rolls out and throws an incompletion? Like...that's your example of a lowlight against the run?

10. YES, another pass play where Thomas is surrounded by about 4 linemen on what turns into a sack. Excellent work here, bro.

11. Lookie here, ANOTHER pass play...this time when he's lined up at DE. He doesn't do anything against the OT at DE. You sure showed me!

12. Another pass play where Thomas, at DE, gets chipped by the WR and held. More excellent work by you.

13. A pass play from last year where Thomas is at DE.

I mean, are you so new to football that you don't even know the difference between a running play and a passing play? Seriously?

Not only are you clueless, but you are a liar. You clearly never played football. You are a novice. Every single post of yours is an embarrassment.

Like, you literally just owned yourself with that video.
[ Edited by JustWin2019 on Dec 12, 2019 at 8:42 PM ]
As a DT he's a frontline starter?

Yes. He would be if he were a starter.

Many fans don't seem to get that production is directly tied to playing time.

When Thomas gets 40+ snaps per game at DT the way Buckner does and fails to put up similar or better numbers, then come talk to me about how he's a bust.

• 91til
  • Veteran
Well, with all the injuries along the DL, this is his chance to contribute. Even if it's just in the run game
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Scottie15:

Damn man at lest have standards....
Share 49ersWebzone