LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • thl408
Originally posted by JustWin2019:
At what? Pass rush? Maybe. We don't know for sure because Thomas never gets anywhere near the pass rush snaps inside that Buckner gets. I would guess it's rather close there.

In run defense? He's not even in the same universe as Thomas. Thomas is one of the best interior run defenders in the league, and Buckner is one of the worst.

I can provide a million examples of how bad Buckner is against the run.

Here are some more against the Bucs:

https://www.nbafullhd.com/95600-2/

Head to the drive starting at 27:00.

That video won't load in that link. Can you re-post the video? I want to see Buckner suck.
  • thl408
Or I could refer to the Kenyan Drake 36 yard run on the Cardinals' opening drive this year in the first meeting with them.

https://www.nbafullhd.com/100166-2/

Or how about vs. the Rams at 10:07 when Havenstein delivers a monstrous pancake block to him?

https://www.nbafullhd.com/97578-2/

Why is nobody saying Buckner can't play inside? He's nowhere near being as good against the run as Thomas. He's a huge liability at the point. Has been ever since college, when he made Jack Conklin's draft status by getting famously thrown to the ground against him.

Meanwhile, the Thomas haters have to reach for 3 yard gain plays where he's trying to interfere with a guard who has no interest in him on a non-combo play to try to prove Thomas can't play inside. It's hilarious.

These links don't load any video. Don't gimme no bammer link.
If Thomas is struggled for nothing earn about Sacke/tackles are zero this year. We should trade him for 3round?
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
LOL

Buckner is better than Thomas, dude.

At what? Pass rush? Maybe. We don't know for sure because Thomas never gets anywhere near the pass rush snaps inside that Buckner gets. I would guess it's rather close there.

In run defense? He's not even in the same universe as Thomas. Thomas is one of the best interior run defenders in the league, and Buckner is one of the worst.

I can provide a million examples of how bad Buckner is against the run.

Here are some more against the Bucs:

https://www.nbafullhd.com/95600-2/

Head to the drive starting at 27:00.

Buckner is clearly better at pass rush and defending the run.
We have all seen plenty if both to judge, it isn't close, one is a Pro Bowler and the other isn't one of the top 5 defensive lineman on his team.

The team should Trade Thomas To NE.
Originally posted by ea_thegreat:
tbh while you have provided some clips it doesn't prove your point entirely. Every player will have plays that they get beat.Buckner at the end of the day is still more consistently better, both against the run and getting to the QB than Solly.

Buckner is nowhere near Thomas in run defense at the point. It's not even close when you watch them every play.

People keep talking about "you don't see 270 pound defensive tackles." You know what you never see? 6'7" nose tackles. Nose tackles have always been classically shorter by defensive lineman standards. You know why? Because being tall is not good for leverage.

Buckner may be a better pass rusher, but Thomas hasn't gotten nearly the opportunities inside to say what he can and can not do there. Buckner has gotten 40+ snaps inside nearly every game he played from the beginning. Thomas has never gotten 30+ snaps inside in his NFL career. When he has played inside, he has had a good ratio of pressures/hits to snaps. He flashes there, unlike outside, where he never does anything.

They started out on equal ground, hell, Thomas was given the advantage of being a Lynch guy. Buckner outplayed him in all facets of the game.
Originally posted by Scottie15:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:

Second from the top with the black arm sleeve

Occupies both blockers. 3 yard run.

Lol man you spin any argument you can to fit your terrible and false narrative. Lol. Is that you, Solomon?

LOL I mean we could have just thrown a log out on the ground and it would have been just as affective.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Now, that wasn't Thomas's best play vs. a double team, as the LG is able to peel off late onto Warner, but he keeps it to a rather minimal gain (not to mention, the fact he was wearing that black arm sleeve would indicate he was probably playing with some kind of minor injury...will be interesting to see the injury report this week).

Compare that to this abomination from #99 last year:

Everyone in the thread was focusing on how Armstead didn't whoop the TE, but I was focusing on how Buckner was like tissue paper. You can't play a double team any worse than this. That's an offense's dream.

Buckner doesn't even do that bad there and #47 (Elijah I think) whiffs on the tackle that could have made it a modest gain. Anyway I trust Saleh and Solly couldn't even beat out Damontre. He's consistently getting blown off the line, it's pretty obvious. This is why 270lbs defensive tackles don't exist, it's physics. He doesn't have the weight to anchor.

If that was Thomas he would have said...occupied two blockers
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Now, that wasn't Thomas's best play vs. a double team, as the LG is able to peel off late onto Warner, but he keeps it to a rather minimal gain (not to mention, the fact he was wearing that black arm sleeve would indicate he was probably playing with some kind of minor injury...will be interesting to see the injury report this week).

Compare that to this abomination from #99 last year:

Everyone in the thread was focusing on how Armstead didn't whoop the TE, but I was focusing on how Buckner was like tissue paper. You can't play a double team any worse than this. That's an offense's dream.

Buckner doesn't even do that bad there and #47 (Elijah I think) whiffs on the tackle that could have made it a modest gain. Anyway I trust Saleh and Solly couldn't even beat out Damontre. He's consistently getting blown off the line, it's pretty obvious. This is why 270lbs defensive tackles don't exist, it's physics. He doesn't have the weight to anchor.

Yup.
Originally posted by thl408:
Or I could refer to the Kenyan Drake 36 yard run on the Cardinals' opening drive this year in the first meeting with them.

https://www.nbafullhd.com/100166-2/

Or how about vs. the Rams at 10:07 when Havenstein delivers a monstrous pancake block to him?

https://www.nbafullhd.com/97578-2/

Why is nobody saying Buckner can't play inside? He's nowhere near being as good against the run as Thomas. He's a huge liability at the point. Has been ever since college, when he made Jack Conklin's draft status by getting famously thrown to the ground against him.

Meanwhile, the Thomas haters have to reach for 3 yard gain plays where he's trying to interfere with a guard who has no interest in him on a non-combo play to try to prove Thomas can't play inside. It's hilarious.

These links don't load any video. Don't gimme no bammer link.

Yeah I don't see any videos either I also don't see any of the videos where ST is a monster either nothing is working...
Definitely a bust, but maybe we can get some production out of him until his contract expires.

Don't think he will be with us much longer, and may become a backup somewhere else if lucky.

Originally posted by Scottie15:
Yup.

and you know I was a ST guy...I can be objective about stuff, dude hasn't stood out at all.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

No, Buckner got absolutely demolished on that play. Blown off the ball about as badly as you will ever see happen to a guy in the NFL, and the post blocker went through him like tissue paper and wiped out the LB. And that was a designed combo block.

Unlike with Thomas, where he was attempting to tie up a guard on a play where the guard was not designed to even touch him. Thomas tried to force the double team and didn't quite pull it off. He should have just let the guard to the second level and beaten the tackle to the gap instead. Recognition error.

He doesn't make many of those, however. Last week he jumped to the outside shoulder of the Cardinals' LG on an RPO going his way, which gave Warner and Greenlaw the signal to move in that direction as well (only for Greenlaw to fail to get outside the blocking WR and get sealed).
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

***EDIT*** I retract bolding the first line. The bold should apply to the entire post.

I already posted the QB hits to snaps ratio, showing Thomas had a higher ratio than Buckner before the Packers game (where Thomas played all but 2 or 3 snaps at DE because of the injuries to Ford and Blair).

And anyone who thinks Buckner is anywhere near as good against Thomas against the run, let alone better, really has no business discussing football. It's like saying Steve Young had a stronger arm than Brett Favre. Sheer lunacy and objectively false.
Originally posted by thl408:
That video won't load in that link. Can you re-post the video? I want to see Buckner suck.

The links work fine. What browser are you using?

All the games from this year are available on NFL Full HD. You can google that if the direct links aren't working for you.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

***EDIT*** I retract bolding the first line. The bold should apply to the entire post.

I already posted the QB hits to snaps ratio, showing Thomas had a higher ratio than Buckner before the Packers game (where Thomas played all but 2 or 3 snaps at DE because of the injuries to Ford and Blair).

And anyone who thinks Buckner is anywhere near as good against Thomas against the run, let alone better, really has no business discussing football. It's like saying Steve Young had a stronger arm than Brett Favre. Sheer lunacy and objectively false.

What post # is that? I genuinely can't find it.

So far I have a couple games of GIFs ready but I should hopefully finish before this Sunday.
Share 49ersWebzone