LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 293 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by JustWin2019:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I've read some recent posts and I think I'm somewhere more negative than saying Thomas "if he was a 5th round pick we would be happy with his production".

I promise that I will be posting videos and/or gifs before the Baltimore game to prove this point. (The GF is visting from Arizona so I sure as hell am not going to work on that s**t while she is here)

I would agree with the bolded if this was nearly any other team. But my original post was to say that he's a liability compared to others on this roster. And we have 6th and 7th rounders who are outplaying Thomas in the run game with Jones and Taylor. We also have street free agents in Day and Moore (edge) who contribute more to the pass rush IMO. I have never said that Thomas is not worth a roster spot on any team... but this is the best Dline in football because we find quality players with late-round picks... which kinda proves to me that he's worth less than a 5th rounder to us at this point.

I had the same issue with Earl Mitchell starting over Jones and I think we can all see how much more production we have had since the change. I believe the coaches like Solly personally and if I was a coach I would want to give him reps to prove himself too. But the tape is saying he shouldn't be playing in front of anyone. Taylor and Jones should be having way more snaps than Solly not equal to or less.

And you cannot find any post of me bashing AA the same way. I thought he showed the speed to power and had other traits that I feel like he could really grow into something which he had. The issue was him was the mental part of the game. He would look like a chicken with his head cut off trying to locate the football sometimes. But now I believe he's figured it out in terms of controlling his movements and understanding the game overall.

With ST I don't see nearly the physical tools or skillset to grow to the type of player AA has become. I just don't think it's possible from what I have seen.

That doesn't mean I want him to fail and tbh I hope I am dead wrong. But I feel like it's being seen that I was correct in my evaluation of AA and I think I'm right about this one too.

Just objective silliness.

Taylor has played well, but those plays where he looks good against the run are one-on-one matchups playing 2 technique. Show me a play of him occupying two blockers and keeping a linebacker clean and then we can talk. Thomas has done that many times this year.

Day provides more in pass rush? When? He has like 1 pressure all year. While has fewer snaps than Thomas (although Thomas also had some wasted snaps playing at DE earlier this year in garbage time vs. Cincinnati), it's not enough to where it's even close between the two in pass rush performance.

What you'll never mention when you finally get around to posting your misunderstood gifs is the play on the first or second Cardinals offensive series where Thomas beat JR Sweezy so badly that he actually stopped in his tracks, suspecting it was a screen. Turns out he had actually just legitimately smoked him.

"Nearly the physical tools or skillset"...what physical tools does Armstead have? He's just taller (which isn't even a tool unless he's batting down balls...which he doesn't).

He's nowhere near as strong, he's nowhere near as fast. Thomas is stouter, has the higher BMI, squats 600, did 30 reps of 225 (Armstead only 24). Armstead ran a 5.1 40 (and he looks every bit of it). Thomas ran a 4.69 (and he looks every bit of that as well when you see him chasing Adrian Peterson all the way to the defense's right sideline after lining up at LDT, in order to cover up for Buckner's failure to shut off his gap).

They also have the exact same arm measurements (33 inches).

So again, what tools?

Armstead has proven to be a good complimentary "effort" lineman when he's with other good linemen who can make the QB step up and give him a lane, or when he can work his way into a coverage sack. He's not some kind of explosive 3 technique, and he's obviously not a speed guy off the edge.

He's worth keeping if it's at a reasonable price, but chances are his agent is going to market him as the next Calais Campbell and some team will want to overpay for him. At that point, you let him walk.

Gonna answer my question?

When did you have this discussion where You broke down the first drive in the Redskins game with jonnydel if you only joined this forum TWO days ago unless you had a different user name?
As far as what to do with AA, try to get him to sign a team friendly deal. If he says no (most likely will) then franchise tag him, and let his agent shop him around to teams interested in signing him. At that point get the best draft pick from which ever team wants him. Chiefs did that with Dee Ford, and netted a 2nd round pick. We can probably get a 2nd for him as well, or worse case a 3rd, either way, netting an immediate day 2 pick would be a good consolation prize for losing AA. 2020 would then allow us to see what Thomas can do next to Buckner with more reps. Personally if we trade AA away, I would try to get Thomas to sign a extension in hopes we get him locked up on the cheap, because I think the 4th guy along the line (this year AA) is always gonna put up good numbers, when you have Ford+Bosa on the edges, and Buckner right next to you. Thomas will probably have a really good year next year if it unfolds like this.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
How much is his 5th year option?

Buck's 5th yr option next yr is $14.2M so I'm guessing around that much

Yeah wow - I love the kid and want him to shine, but damn I wouldn't make that bet.

Yeah wow - I love the kid and want him to shine, but damn I wouldn't make that bet.

Yeah there no way you can give him the option.
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:

When did you have this discussion where You broke down the first drive in the Redskins game with jonnydel if you only joined this forum TWO days ago unless you had a different user name?

A quick search should clear things up.
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I've read some recent posts and I think I'm somewhere more negative than saying Thomas "if he was a 5th round pick we would be happy with his production".

I promise that I will be posting videos and/or gifs before the Baltimore game to prove this point. (The GF is visting from Arizona so I sure as hell am not going to work on that s**t while she is here)

I would agree with the bolded if this was nearly any other team. But my original post was to say that he's a liability compared to others on this roster. And we have 6th and 7th rounders who are outplaying Thomas in the run game with Jones and Taylor. We also have street free agents in Day and Moore (edge) who contribute more to the pass rush IMO. I have never said that Thomas is not worth a roster spot on any team... but this is the best Dline in football because we find quality players with late-round picks... which kinda proves to me that he's worth less than a 5th rounder to us at this point.

I had the same issue with Earl Mitchell starting over Jones and I think we can all see how much more production we have had since the change. I believe the coaches like Solly personally and if I was a coach I would want to give him reps to prove himself too. But the tape is saying he shouldn't be playing in front of anyone. Taylor and Jones should be having way more snaps than Solly not equal to or less.

And you cannot find any post of me bashing AA the same way. I thought he showed the speed to power and had other traits that I feel like he could really grow into something which he had. The issue was him was the mental part of the game. He would look like a chicken with his head cut off trying to locate the football sometimes. But now I believe he's figured it out in terms of controlling his movements and understanding the game overall.

With ST I don't see nearly the physical tools or skillset to grow to the type of player AA has become. I just don't think it's possible from what I have seen.

That doesn't mean I want him to fail and tbh I hope I am dead wrong. But I feel like it's being seen that I was correct in my evaluation of AA and I think I'm right about this one too.

Just objective silliness.

Taylor has played well, but those plays where he looks good against the run are one-on-one matchups playing 2 technique. Show me a play of him occupying two blockers and keeping a linebacker clean and then we can talk. Thomas has done that many times this year.

Day provides more in pass rush? When? He has like 1 pressure all year. While has fewer snaps than Thomas (although Thomas also had some wasted snaps playing at DE earlier this year in garbage time vs. Cincinnati), it's not enough to where it's even close between the two in pass rush performance.

What you'll never mention when you finally get around to posting your misunderstood gifs is the play on the first or second Cardinals offensive series where Thomas beat JR Sweezy so badly that he actually stopped in his tracks, suspecting it was a screen. Turns out he had actually just legitimately smoked him.

"Nearly the physical tools or skillset"...what physical tools does Armstead have? He's just taller (which isn't even a tool unless he's batting down balls...which he doesn't).

He's nowhere near as strong, he's nowhere near as fast. Thomas is stouter, has the higher BMI, squats 600, did 30 reps of 225 (Armstead only 24). Armstead ran a 5.1 40 (and he looks every bit of it). Thomas ran a 4.69 (and he looks every bit of that as well when you see him chasing Adrian Peterson all the way to the defense's right sideline after lining up at LDT, in order to cover up for Buckner's failure to shut off his gap).

They also have the exact same arm measurements (33 inches).

So again, what tools?

Armstead has proven to be a good complimentary "effort" lineman when he's with other good linemen who can make the QB step up and give him a lane, or when he can work his way into a coverage sack. He's not some kind of explosive 3 technique, and he's obviously not a speed guy off the edge.

He's worth keeping if it's at a reasonable price, but chances are his agent is going to market him as the next Calais Campbell and some team will want to overpay for him. At that point, you let him walk.

Maybe we should Trade Thomas To New England.
I don't see AA being back next season so my guess is that we pick up Solly's 5th year and rely on him and Taylor replacing him. I don't think Solly gets to AA's redemption level but It's too early to write him off just yet. If we do end up tagging then extending AA that's when you ship Solly out.

Still the wrong pick. We should of went elsewhere, extended AA long ago when you could of got him cheap but it is what it is.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I don't see AA being back next season so my guess is that we pick up Solly's 5th year and rely on him and Taylor replacing him. I don't think Solly gets to AA's redemption level but It's too early to write him off just yet. If we do end up tagging then extending AA that's when you ship Solly out.

Still the wrong pick. We should of went elsewhere, extended AA long ago when you could of got him cheap but it is what it is.

The reason we didn't do that with AA and why we drafted Thomas was because AA didn't show anything to warrant a new regime having faith in his play.

Not much we can do about it now but hope for the best which is Solly's disappointing play so far can be looked as a reason we were in position to draft Bosa. So if we get anything out of Thomas now to be excited about it's with Bosa in tow. If he can step up similar to Armstead next season and maybe play himself into an extension(I would hope he'd give us a discount considering everything that went down and the support we showed him but who knows)

Either way Armstead is playing top notch this season so you can't be rational and say Thomas should play over him. But at least he's flashing enough as a depth guy to give some hope that maybe next year consistent snaps will get more out of him after another offseason where he can work on his game. We all know he's dedicated. That second season was such a complete wash it's just a tough evaluation whether he's got any potential as a starter or not.

Watch him have a career day today and become like AA and finally breakout

It really doesn't matter. They don't even rave about Thomas in practice the way they used to rave about AA in 2017. And we all though AA was meh in 2017. But the coaches saw something in him in practice. We have yet to get to that level with Thomas. I don't see that 5th year option being picked up. I do think he isn't as bad as people have made him out to be. He just isn't going to live up the the draft slow or even being a first round pick. For now at least.

Poor ST can't even put his mouth guard in right
Every time i see this guy he is standing around hitting nothing. On the edge hes a zero.

Maybe inside its different.
Definitely ineffective outside against the pass.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Every time i see this guy he is standing around hitting nothing. On the edge hes a zero.

There isn't a Solomon Thomas supporter on the planet who thought he was anything other than horrible on the outside. Not sure why people are still talking about him at DE as though it's relevant to any discussion. It's as unanimous as anything in life...and there are people out there who think chocolate milk comes from brown cows.

But he's stuck playing there yet again because of Dee Ford's injury. It just never ends. He should never receive another snap at DE in his life (unless it's a 3-4 defense, of course). It's like putting Ted Washington at DE.

That's why people calling him a "tweener" is so laughable. He's very good inside and abysmal on the edge. That's the opposite of a tweener. A tweener would be someone who gets equal results no matter where you line him up.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

There isn't a Solomon Thomas supporter on the planet who thought he was anything other than horrible on the outside. Not sure why people are still talking about him at DE as though it's relevant to any discussion. It's as unanimous as anything in life...and there are people out there who think chocolate milk comes from brown cows.

But he's stuck playing there yet again because of Dee Ford's injury. It just never ends. He should never receive another snap at DE in his life (unless it's a 3-4 defense, of course). It's like putting Ted Washington at DE.

That's why people calling him a "tweener" is so laughable. He's very good inside and abysmal on the edge. That's the opposite of a tweener. A tweener would be someone who gets equal results no matter where you line him up.

Nah, this dude's trash. Nice try though
Share 49ersWebzone