LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by thl408:
Is it an excuse to say that this is his 2nd season in the league and that last season was a throwaway due to his personal tragedy? I'mma go with that and hope he does well in 2020, his 3rd season in the league.

Okay so are you throwing him the 5th yr option this off season then? If not he's a FA after 2020.
Originally posted by genus49:
Good for you?

Who said pump him up? What is your solution?

Cut him? Trade him? Murder him?

He's a 49er. Either he plays well or not. His draft status at this point means nothing outside of giving fans ability to say whether he's playing up to his draft pick or not. He's not. End of story.

Now what?

Murder him haha jeez.

Well his draft status has SF paying him a good chunk of money for not much in return. So we've lost out on getting a high impact player (as of now) with a important draft pick and we're currently stuck with a higher end price tag for a depth player, when we could really use that cash elsewhere.

I get what you're saying with trying to move on from the draft status thing. Problem is missing on picks like this (and foster) can crush a team LT. We've been fortunate enough to have a ton of cap space early to improve the roster and find some gems later in drafts.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Is it an excuse to say that this is his 2nd season in the league and that last season was a throwaway due to his personal tragedy? I'mma go with that and hope he does well in 2020, his 3rd season in the league.

Okay so are you throwing him the 5th yr option this off season then? If not he's a FA after 2020.

I doubt they do a 5th year option at this point but we can always hope for a Kyle Fuller type of situation. Bears didn't pick up his 5th year option.

4th season he made the All Pro/Pro Bowl team. They transition tagged him and extended him.
Murder him haha jeez.

Well his draft status has SF paying him a good chunk of money for not much in return. So we've lost out on getting a high impact player (as of now) with a important draft pick and we're currently stuck with a higher end price tag for a depth player, when we could really use that cash elsewhere.

I get what you're saying with trying to move on from the draft status thing. Problem is missing on picks like this (and foster) can crush a team LT. We've been fortunate enough to have a ton of cap space early to improve the roster and find some gems later in drafts.

The way some people post itt it wouldn't surprise me if someone opted for that option lol. People act like Thomas is stealing their hard earned money or something.

And of course you want to hit on your top picks. Foster is already a waste so it sucks. But if Thomas can turn into a quality starter but not an elite guy you look for normally with a top 3 pick - let's be honest those type of picks you're looking at franchise cornerstone. He's clearly not that. Hell even if he turns into a stud run stuffer who makes us very good vs the run that likely won't make people happy. #3 overall pick you're looking for a Nick Bosa type - pass rush/run stop combo of elite level.

But in time players are just either really good, decent, meh or why are they on a roster?

Thomas' book is still open though it's highly doubtful he'll ever be in the really good category.

If 10 years from now he ends up being here for at least another contract and turns into even a pretty decent starter for us and Spoon keeps playing like he has early this season before getting hurt and Kittle does what Kittle does this draft is still a very good one.

Kittle - top TE in the league right now
Spoon - looking like he can be a pretty good starting corner
Breida - high quality RB starter
DJ Jones - solid NT/DT
Bourne - solid WR depth

Taylor - TBD due to his injuries.

Even without Thomas doing anything overall that's a pretty good draft class. Getting the top player at his position in the NFL makes that draft pretty good just on his own. Maybe the position isn't as high impact as QB, DE, OT, CB but Kittle is a huge part of our offense.

I think if Thomas can turn into a decent starter, even if he's not elite level this draft is a pretty damn good one for us...despite the less than stellar double first round selections.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
At the end of the day, I am not worried about whether we keep Thomas or not. If we keep him, it likely means he's still the best depth option. If we don't, it means we've found someone better. Plain and simple.

All this debate from both ends of the spectrum gets tiring either way. We'll see how it pans out.

Just gotta hope we don't draft another Solomon Thomas like player in the 1st rd ever again
I doubt they do a 5th year option at this point but we can always hope for a Kyle Fuller type of situation. Bears didn't pick up his 5th year option.

4th season he made the All Pro/Pro Bowl team. They transition tagged him and extended him.

Hey I'd love nothing more than him to all of a sudden play at a pro-bowl level.

Fuller if I remember correctly actually showed up and played well his rookie yr(all-rookie team). ST hasn't done anything yet.
  • thl408

Hey I'd love nothing more than him to all of a sudden play at a pro-bowl level.

Fuller if I remember correctly actually showed up and played well his rookie yr(all-rookie team). ST hasn't done anything yet.

The team has to decide whether they want to pick up his 5th year option before he plays his 4th year? Solly was a rookie in 2017. So 2018, 2019 (3rd season), 2020 (4th season).

The way some people post itt it wouldn't surprise me if someone opted for that option lol. People act like Thomas is stealing their hard earned money or something.

And of course you want to hit on your top picks. Foster is already a waste so it sucks. But if Thomas can turn into a quality starter but not an elite guy you look for normally with a top 3 pick - let's be honest those type of picks you're looking at franchise cornerstone. He's clearly not that. Hell even if he turns into a stud run stuffer who makes us very good vs the run that likely won't make people happy. #3 overall pick you're looking for a Nick Bosa type - pass rush/run stop combo of elite level.

But in time players are just either really good, decent, meh or why are they on a roster?

Thomas' book is still open though it's highly doubtful he'll ever be in the really good category.

If 10 years from now he ends up being here for at least another contract and turns into even a pretty decent starter for us and Spoon keeps playing like he has early this season before getting hurt and Kittle does what Kittle does this draft is still a very good one.

Kittle - top TE in the league right now
Spoon - looking like he can be a pretty good starting corner
Breida - high quality RB starter
DJ Jones - solid NT/DT
Bourne - solid WR depth

Taylor - TBD due to his injuries.

Even without Thomas doing anything overall that's a pretty good draft class. Getting the top player at his position in the NFL makes that draft pretty good just on his own. Maybe the position isn't as high impact as QB, DE, OT, CB but Kittle is a huge part of our offense.

I think if Thomas can turn into a decent starter, even if he's not elite level this draft is a pretty damn good one for us...despite the less than stellar double first round selections.

At this pt you have to question if ST is here beyond his rookie deal. It's a fair thing to say.
  • thl408

2019 is his 3rd season. 2020 is his 4th. Do the 49ers have to decide on the 5th year option after 2019, or after 2020?

2019 is his 3rd season. 2020 is his 4th. Do the 49ers have to decide on the 5th year option after 2019, or after 2020?

After this year I believe.

After this year I believe.

How much is his 5th year option?
The team has to decide whether they want to pick up his 5th year option before he plays his 4th year? Solly was a rookie in 2017. So 2018, 2019 (3rd season), 2020 (4th season).

Yup they have to make a decision this off season. They had to do it for Buck this past off season and he's on the option next yr unless we extend him.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
How much is his 5th year option?

Buck's 5th yr option next yr is $14.2M so I'm guessing around that much
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I've read some recent posts and I think I'm somewhere more negative than saying Thomas "if he was a 5th round pick we would be happy with his production".

I promise that I will be posting videos and/or gifs before the Baltimore game to prove this point. (The GF is visting from Arizona so I sure as hell am not going to work on that s**t while she is here)

I would agree with the bolded if this was nearly any other team. But my original post was to say that he's a liability compared to others on this roster. And we have 6th and 7th rounders who are outplaying Thomas in the run game with Jones and Taylor. We also have street free agents in Day and Moore (edge) who contribute more to the pass rush IMO. I have never said that Thomas is not worth a roster spot on any team... but this is the best Dline in football because we find quality players with late-round picks... which kinda proves to me that he's worth less than a 5th rounder to us at this point.

I had the same issue with Earl Mitchell starting over Jones and I think we can all see how much more production we have had since the change. I believe the coaches like Solly personally and if I was a coach I would want to give him reps to prove himself too. But the tape is saying he shouldn't be playing in front of anyone. Taylor and Jones should be having way more snaps than Solly not equal to or less.

And you cannot find any post of me bashing AA the same way. I thought he showed the speed to power and had other traits that I feel like he could really grow into something which he had. The issue was him was the mental part of the game. He would look like a chicken with his head cut off trying to locate the football sometimes. But now I believe he's figured it out in terms of controlling his movements and understanding the game overall.

With ST I don't see nearly the physical tools or skillset to grow to the type of player AA has become. I just don't think it's possible from what I have seen.

That doesn't mean I want him to fail and tbh I hope I am dead wrong. But I feel like it's being seen that I was correct in my evaluation of AA and I think I'm right about this one too.

Just objective silliness.

Taylor has played well, but those plays where he looks good against the run are one-on-one matchups playing 2 technique. Show me a play of him occupying two blockers and keeping a linebacker clean and then we can talk. Thomas has done that many times this year.

Day provides more in pass rush? When? He has like 1 pressure all year. While has fewer snaps than Thomas (although Thomas also had some wasted snaps playing at DE earlier this year in garbage time vs. Cincinnati), it's not enough to where it's even close between the two in pass rush performance.

What you'll never mention when you finally get around to posting your misunderstood gifs is the play on the first or second Cardinals offensive series where Thomas beat JR Sweezy so badly that he actually stopped in his tracks, suspecting it was a screen. Turns out he had actually just legitimately smoked him.

"Nearly the physical tools or skillset"...what physical tools does Armstead have? He's just taller (which isn't even a tool unless he's batting down balls...which he doesn't).

He's nowhere near as strong, he's nowhere near as fast. Thomas is stouter, has the higher BMI, squats 600, did 30 reps of 225 (Armstead only 24). Armstead ran a 5.1 40 (and he looks every bit of it). Thomas ran a 4.69 (and he looks every bit of that as well when you see him chasing Adrian Peterson all the way to the defense's right sideline after lining up at LDT, in order to cover up for Buckner's failure to shut off his gap).

They also have the exact same arm measurements (33 inches).

So again, what tools?

Armstead has proven to be a good complimentary "effort" lineman when he's with other good linemen who can make the QB step up and give him a lane, or when he can work his way into a coverage sack. He's not some kind of explosive 3 technique, and he's obviously not a speed guy off the edge.

He's worth keeping if it's at a reasonable price, but chances are his agent is going to market him as the next Calais Campbell and some team will want to overpay for him. At that point, you let him walk.
Share 49ersWebzone