Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
It's a crappy call but bottom line, helmet to helmet. It's going to be called every time (unless it's Jimmy Garoppolo). He has to get lower there.

It wasn't helmet to helmet though....his helmet was at the side of Keenum's, even the announcer called it a b******t call.

Yeah on the second view you can see the helmet never contacted Keenum at all. Solly is to blame for not watching the ball on his first penalty. Other than that, he was fine yesterday.

Huh? I just rewatched it. His head even snapped back a bit so from the refs perspective behind him in live time, it's clearly helmet to helmet. I mean, guys are getting called now for swiping by a QB's helmet now. It's ridiculous but you have to have your head down to ensure there is absolutely no chance of your helmet touching a QB's.

Yes. He very clearly hit his helmet. Not much to debate here. Was obvious on the replay. Not sure what people are looking at.
Originally posted by okdkid:
It's a crappy call but bottom line, helmet to helmet. It's going to be called every time (unless it's Jimmy Garoppolo). He has to get lower there.

It wasn't helmet to helmet though....his helmet was at the side of Keenum's, even the announcer called it a b******t call.

Yeah on the second view you can see the helmet never contacted Keenum at all. Solly is to blame for not watching the ball on his first penalty. Other than that, he was fine yesterday.

Huh? I just rewatched it. His head even snapped back a bit so from the refs perspective behind him in live time, it's clearly helmet to helmet. I mean, guys are getting called now for swiping by a QB's helmet now. It's ridiculous but you have to have your head down to ensure there is absolutely no chance of your helmet touching a QB's.

Yes. He very clearly hit his helmet. Not much to debate here. Was obvious on the replay. Not sure what people are looking at.

Very clearly? Even the booth guys were like mmmmmk on the replay.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Not ready to give up on Solomon yet! He has underperformed, but I feel that something will click and when it does he will be an asset to our team.
For the record, I fully believe ST has underwhelmed so far this season. But, we said the exact same things about armstead for his first 4 years, then boom, his 5th year happens and he night be the 2nd best defender on the team.
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Solly once again flashed as an interior pass rusher. Had that hit that he got penalized for and had another nice pressure. He's going to be a good one rushing the passer once he gets more playing time there. Obviously it worsens the run defense a bit but that's fine.

He strengthens the run defense, although Jones is generally good at the point as well. But Thomas can not only stack and shed, but he has rare, rare pursuit ability. How many defensive tackles do you know who can chase Adrian Peterson out to the sidelines after a corner misses a tackle?

There's only one other, and his name rhymes with, "Smaaron Smonald."

My only concern for him at this point is the offsides penalties. He had a game vs. Rice where he had 3 or 4 offsides penalties in a single game. He's got to find a way to play a bit more controlled than that in his attempt to get off the ball.
Originally posted by walker807:

Yes, very clearly. Like us, they don't believe stuff like that SHOULD be called but dems da rulz unless it's Jimmy Garoppolo where apparently, you can just punch him in the face for a non-call.
He had more snaps than Sheldon Day yesterday. I think we'll see more and more of him going forward.
Originally posted by titan:
Not ready to give up on Solomon yet! He has underperformed, but I feel that something will click and when it does he will be an asset to our team.

I think he was just ultra amped up. Finally...FINALLY...after all these years, he gets his first start inside and so badly wants to prove himself. I just hope Saleh doesn't push Taylor ahead of him now because of the big plays he made in his limited snaps. Then again, whatever is best for the team.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by walker807:

They didn't think that should warrant a penalty since he didn't lead with his head. That's a different debate. But the helmet clearly hit the QBs helmet. That's the rule, so it was an obvious penalty.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by titan:

I think he was just ultra amped up. Finally...FINALLY...after all these years, he gets his first start inside and so badly wants to prove himself. I just hope Saleh doesn't push Taylor ahead of him now because of the big plays he made in his limited snaps. Then again, whatever is best for the team.

Just some bad breaks and it keeps coming. The storm will calm and I think he'll redeem himself and give us a hometown discount!

Originally posted by jonnydel:
For the record, I fully believe ST has underwhelmed so far this season. But, we said the exact same things about armstead for his first 4 years, then boom, his 5th year happens and he night be the 2nd best defender on the team.

What people are failing to realize (or simply refusing to type), is that AA was underwhelming on bad football teams. We had the ability to let him stay on the field, take his lumps and hope for improvement (which has happened). If Thomas isnt producing or playing at a level high enough to warrant him being on the field, then he shouldnt be. Our team is good now. We dont have the ability to just let underperforming players play a lot in hopes they will be better in the future.

I expect Thomas to make strides this year, but he simply isnt good enough to play extended snaps....which will stunt his development (unlike AA).
Agree with Jonnydel, that Solomon has underwhelmed, but like AA, i am still in his camp. If i could wait 5 yrs for Arik, i can wait another yr for Solomon. He is coming along, but it will still take more time. I plan to stick with him. When he comes around, it will make a lot of guys happy. I think he will. Just like Arik.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Agree with Jonnydel, that Solomon has underwhelmed, but like AA, i am still in his camp. If i could wait 5 yrs for Arik, i can wait another yr for Solomon. He is coming along, but it will still take more time. I plan to stick with him. When he comes around, it will make a lot of guys happy. I think he will. Just like Arik.

Ditto!!
They take him out when Peterson was gashing us on that first drive.
Thomas is already a huge asset to this team, he's an extremely hard worker an he provides much need depth for us . He is improving week by week, by seasons end he's gonna be a real player for us.
Share 49ersWebzone