LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 202 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by KittleSkittle:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Maybe they re sign AA but you know how guys tend to have great years when it's contract time. I'm thinking another team might outbid us and we roll with Solly as AA's replacement. If ST can perform then they probably pick up his 5th year option and if not just move on from him then. .

That's why you transition tag AA. Give yourself the ability to match. Let the market decide his worth.

Also, the Niners have to pick up Thomas' option this offseason. I really doubt they do that.

That's a good point actually. Though I was surprised when they picked up AA's option. It's hard to predict what they'll do in that regard and Thomas's option is expensive.

You never know. After the first two games my excitement for Thomas breaking out this year took a big hit. He may simply be a backup who hustles hard but never really makes a big impact. Sucks but clearly where I thought he would be and where he actually is are way far apart and honestly I still can't figure out why. He had the work ehtic, he had the growth with his technique, no injury history, no off the field concerns and great tape...just a total mind fuk.

However having said that we've seen other first round picks who didn't look good enough to have teams pick up their 5th year option who ended up playing great their 4th season - Kyle Fuller comes to mind as the most recent.

We'll see what happens with Thomas but it's not looking promising and it's a shame cuz the guy is really nice and it would be great if he could salvage his career here.

I mean, I think we both have a good idea why this has happened, but apparently I'm "beating it to death."

That's why at this point, I want Bill B to come calling, because I have a strong hunch things would be quite a bit different for him over there. At this point, it might be best for all parties that they move on.

And at least he would be out of the division, as opposed to signing with Wade Phillips. That would be the ultimate nightmare, because if you are capable of anything as a defensive lineman, Wade Phillips will figure it out and unleash it. He's been doing that for 40 years.
  • dj43
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
I mean, I think we both have a good idea why this has happened, but apparently I'm "beating it to death."

That's why at this point, I want Bill B to come calling, because I have a strong hunch things would be quite a bit different for him over there. At this point, it might be best for all parties that they move on.

And at least he would be out of the division, as opposed to signing with Wade Phillips. That would be the ultimate nightmare, because if you are capable of anything as a defensive lineman, Wade Phillips will figure it out and unleash it. He's been doing that for 40 years.

Full agreement there.

Thank you.
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by KittleSkittle:
Maybe they re sign AA but you know how guys tend to have great years when it's contract time. I'm thinking another team might outbid us and we roll with Solly as AA's replacement. If ST can perform then they probably pick up his 5th year option and if not just move on from him then. .

That's why you transition tag AA. Give yourself the ability to match. Let the market decide his worth.

Also, the Niners have to pick up Thomas' option this offseason. I really doubt they do that.

That's a good point actually. Though I was surprised when they picked up AA's option. It's hard to predict what they'll do in that regard and Thomas's option is expensive.

You never know. After the first two games my excitement for Thomas breaking out this year took a big hit. He may simply be a backup who hustles hard but never really makes a big impact. Sucks but clearly where I thought he would be and where he actually is are way far apart and honestly I still can't figure out why. He had the work ehtic, he had the growth with his technique, no injury history, no off the field concerns and great tape...just a total mind fuk.

However having said that we've seen other first round picks who didn't look good enough to have teams pick up their 5th year option who ended up playing great their 4th season - Kyle Fuller comes to mind as the most recent.

We'll see what happens with Thomas but it's not looking promising and it's a shame cuz the guy is really nice and it would be great if he could salvage his career here.

Bill isn't going to call and give anything when he knows he can get for a cheaper salary as a FA

And Solly should do it , might be his only chance to some what save his career
  • dj43
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Bill isn't going to call and give anything when he knows he can get for a cheaper salary as a FA

And Solly should do it , might be his only chance to some what save his career
The only way he does that is to continue to improve his play game-by-game.

Ok I thought they had another year to pick up his option. In that case I wouldn't do that either.

Based o the first 2 games I TOTALLY agree

But hopefully he can turn it around.

Regretfully, I'm pessimistic.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Fine was BS. Should've been fined for not living up to his draft slot.
I don't know why, but I just have a feeling that Solly gets another sack on Sunday, but this one a legit non-hustle sack.
Maybe the fine will light a fire under his arse
[ Edited by wysiwyg on Sep 21, 2019 at 7:03 PM ]
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
I don't know why, but I just have a feeling that Solly gets another sack on Sunday, but this one a legit non-hustle sack.

It does seem like most his career sacks are from the QB giving himself up, or chasing him out of bounds. lol
Fined 21K for what amounted to not much more than two hand touch? The league has become totally pussifed.

Originally posted by dj43:
Continue implies that it has already happened. I thought the move to the inside his natural position would help him. I have yet to see it. So far he is the only player I see on that DL who cannot get penetration to save his life (unless the QB holds the ball for like 5 seconds)
  • dj43
Originally posted by kansasninerfan:
Continue implies that it has already happened. I thought the move to the inside his natural position would help him. I have yet to see it. So far he is the only player I see on that DL who cannot get penetration to save his life (unless the QB holds the ball for like 5 seconds)

Week 2 was a noticeable improvement over Week 1. Still much room for more.
$21,056 for a hit on Dalton. Must have got some penetration.
Originally posted by English:
$21,056 for a hit on Dalton. Must have got some penetration.

I think the fine was harsh. Hit wasn't bad and not terribly late.
Week 2 was a noticeable improvement over Week 1. Still much room for more.

Yeah he did pickup a sack..and almost a qb hit..

I think if he continues improving he will become a solid backup but I don't think he will ever live up to his draft status..not when you're getting outplayed by Julian Taylor, Dj Jones, Arik armstead, Sheldon day, Ronald blair
Share 49ersWebzone