LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 395 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
maybe the lightbulb will finally click for Solomon in Year 5 like it did for Arik Armstead.

Anything is possible. But even in his down years Armstead still flashed from time to time.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
One big play against the Bengals was his third quarter sack when he single-handedly read and interfered with the screen attempt. When Dalton tried to scramble, Thomas came back for the sack, One-man play.

Originally posted by dj43:
see post #16062 on page 1071. Read it.

Post #16062 echoes what I have been saying to all of the Thomas defenders in this thread. In a round about way, their argument is basically that they know more than our coaching staff and front office.
Dude might ERUPT Sunday ...............for 1 tackle.
  • dj43
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

Post #16062 echoes what I have been saying to all of the Thomas defenders in this thread. In a round about way, their argument is basically that they know more than our coaching staff and front office.

My post was specific to that one poster.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

I'll go one step further and say thats a tackle for loss.
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Again, when is it that he played a lot of snaps inside for our coaches to see that he can't do it? He played inside the way Kurt Warner played QB for the Rams in 1998.

That's the point. If he had actually been tried inside and the coaches saw how he performed in games and decided they think he's not good there, that would be one thing.

But that's not what happened.

And as I said, you can't tell anything from "practice." If you could, Frank Gore starts over the horrid Kevan Barlow in 2005 from the beginning. Kurt Warner starts over Tony Banks (and they never sign Trent Green), Corey Dillon starts over Ki-Jana Carter, Tom Brady starts over Drew Bledsoe at least from the start of 01, Terrell Owens starts over J.J. Stokes in 96 before Stokes's injury, Joe Montana starts over Steve DeBerg from the start of 1980, etc.

That 3rd down thing is real. Kicking inside on 3rd down is a great thing, but how many 3rd down opportunities are there and can we justify giving Thomas all of them? I think the number is between 10 and 20.

I keep hearing that he can't play inside over the course of a game. I've heard it, but still am skeptical of how true that is. Like is it true in the sense that, Erik Pears can't play tackle? Like is Thomas so bad that he would be a detriment out there? That's what cant play inside means over a game means to me.

I've been wanting the team to just leave him out there in preseason to see how he holds up. We had a chance last week in the blow out. It's got to be done because he will not cut it as an end trying to generate pressure from the edge with any consistency.
  • Kyzen
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

lol.

My post was specific to that one poster.

Mine wasnt, but said poster was definitely included.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Sep 19, 2019 at 6:40 PM ]

And again, you are ignoring the point.

As I said, there are countless examples of coaches starting worse players over better ones.

Why don't you address that?

Otherwise, Drew Bledsoe was better than Tom Brady, Tony Banks and Steve Bono were better than Kurt Warner, Kevan Barlow was better than Frank Gore, and Steve DeBerg was better than Joe Montana.

The coaches themselves would tell you I'm right about them getting plenty of things wrong when it comes to player evaluation...and doesn't that put you in the ultimate bind.

Apparently YOU are saying you know better than the coaches in that regard.

Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Again, when is it that he played a lot of snaps inside for our coaches to see that he can't do it? He played inside the way Kurt Warner played QB for the Rams in 1998.

That's the point. If he had actually been tried inside and the coaches saw how he performed in games and decided they think he's not good there, that would be one thing.

But that's not what happened.

And as I said, you can't tell anything from "practice." If you could, Frank Gore starts over the horrid Kevan Barlow in 2005 from the beginning. Kurt Warner starts over Tony Banks (and they never sign Trent Green), Corey Dillon starts over Ki-Jana Carter, Tom Brady starts over Drew Bledsoe at least from the start of 01, Terrell Owens starts over J.J. Stokes in 96 before Stokes's injury, Joe Montana starts over Steve DeBerg from the start of 1980, etc.

What exactly are you trying to police here? This is a perfectly legitimate discussion.
OK, He's not Bryant Young or Stubblefield. Just let him play and see what he can do. Lucky to have some depth on that D-line finally.
Originally posted by pete98146:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
maybe the lightbulb will finally click for Solomon in Year 5 like it did for Arik Armstead.

I don't think it has anything to do with a lightbulb. It's not like he's a 300 lb speedster that is mentally taking plays off. He's a tweener. Sadly he doesn't have enough foot speed or technique to be an outside rusher and he's too small to be an every down interior lineman. At best he'll be a decent rotational backup in this league. Nothing more...nothing less.

Pettis is a better example of your lightbulb theory. He's a kid that has all the skills. He needs to decide if he has the mental fortitude and strength to succeed.

"Too small to be an every down interior lineman."

If it's about size, (hint: It's not), why not just have him hit the buffet and put on 30 pounds of fat? Why not get go out and sign sumo wrestlers to play DT?

The reason Thomas isn't 300 pounds is there isn't an ounce of fat on him. He's pure muscle. That's the difference between he and someone like Dana Stubblefield.

And the difference between he and Buckner/Armstead is he's much shorter. He has a higher BMI than either of them. Nobody used to think having power forward height was an asset on the interior of a line, yet here we are...
Originally posted by Curlin:
OK, He's not Bryant Young or Stubblefield. Just let him play and see what he can do. Lucky to have some depth on that D-line finally.

At this point, we are hoping for a semi-productive backup. Being a potential HOF and former and DPOY is pretty unrealistic now.
Share 49ersWebzone