There are 165 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas 3rd Overall Pick 2017 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
I wonder how much it was discussed with Solly the goal of making him an end ...... during the pre draft .

Was Solly blind sided with being used as an end ?

Or did he say in the interviews he looks forward to being an end
Ford went out due to injury, Bosa is on a bum ankle, we blew them out. It's not surprising at all if Solly had a strong play count yesterday. Also shows why it's silly to cut/ trade him right now. He's good depth. Let's not go crazy here and think he's worthless.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 16, 2019 at 1:54 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ers808:
In terms of context, both are not facts. I replied to someone asking for us to trade him that he "reportedly" was being shopped in the offseason, with obviously no takers cause he's still with us. You jumped in and asked for a link. I provided the links of "reports" of this. Trade possibilities always follow reports of trades and you know this, It's a part of their jobs to get the clicks. Why would there just be "trade possibilities" if there wasn't even a report of a trade?

And yes he did play the whole game, I stated that most of his snaps came later in the game when we had it in the bag already. We just talking about this recent game though. My 12 snap comment comes from the TB game. Why only 12 in that game?

I guess we have different views of what those words/terms mean...all good.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Ford went out due to injury, Bosa is on a bum ankle, we blew them out. It's not surprising at all if Solly had a strong play count yesterday. Also shows why it's silly to cut/ trade him right now. He's good depth. Let's not go crazy here and think he's worthless.

Good point. Just wish they would play him more inside where he appears to be much more effective as opposed to outside. I think Armstead and Blair are better backup options at DE than Solly. I hope he continues to develop and contribute because the Niners will need him this year.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

I mean, I am not saying he is worthless. But it shouldnt be too difficult to replace him with JAG. After all, he was the lowest graded defender on our team for 2 weeks straight. Would be hard for someone to be worse than the worst.
i feel like this is the last year for Solly. Dude hasnt stood out and is being outplayed by Blair, Thomas, and Armstead. Armstead and Blair are FAs next year, so Solly could def be cap casualty to keep one of em
  • dj43
I just re-watched the second half of the game, primarily to focus on Skule, but also Thomas.

Thomas was being used on both ends of the line and did quite well. Nobody abused him. He held his own, even stalemated a double team. He was hustling. Was more than "just a back-up," IMO. Still not what you want from a #3 but it wasn't his fault he was picked there.
Originally posted by okdkid:
It's the only year left on his deal. They won't pick up the 5th year. I still think they can dump him for a 2021 7th to a team who wants to take a look for a year.

And it's guaranteed. So either they trade him or he's a 9er.

He brings more value even as a backup then a 7th.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
i feel like this is the last year for Solly. Dude hasnt stood out and is being outplayed by Blair, Thomas, and Armstead. Armstead and Blair are FAs next year, so Solly could def be cap casualty to keep one of em

He can't be a cap casualty. His contract is guaranteed.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by okdkid:
It's the only year left on his deal. They won't pick up the 5th year. I still think they can dump him for a 2021 7th to a team who wants to take a look for a year.

And it's guaranteed. So either they trade him or he's a 9er.

He brings more value even as a backup then a 7th.

Agreed. Stupid to trade him right now, we wouldn't get anything worth it. Give him the rest of this season, he don't pan out he don't pan out. Is what it is

Originally posted by blizzuntz:
I wonder how much it was discussed with Solly the goal of making him an end ...... during the pre draft .

Was Solly blind sided with being used as an end ?

Or did he say in the interviews he looks forward to being an end

Lynch said they never viewed him as an edge rusher. That was basically echoed by Kyle and Saleh as well.

But every game, it's right back to taking most snaps at end. They may have viewed him like Michael Bennett, but that was a bad comparison.

Michael Bennett is a DE who kicks inside. Thomas is a DT they have been trying to kick OUTSIDE to DE. It's a completely different thing.

Tons of edge rushers can kick inside in passing situations and succeed. Reggie White and Michael Strahan both did it. The Giants even did it with Justin Tuck.

The reverse generally ain't happening. Edge rushers can still win inside in passing situations with quickness. Inside rushers usually ain't got it when it comes to turning the corner or out-maneuvering an OT.

When Thomas is at DE, he gives you absolutely nothing whatsoever as a pass rusher. You can't have that at DE on 1st and 2nd down, especially in today's passing-oriented league.

He's worse than Gabe Wilkins when it comes to edge rush.

And the "Sparq" stuff is just silly. You can't take a guy's combine measurements and just go, "go-go-gadget edge rusher." There's also one crucial measurement omitted in anyone thinking he fits the edge rusher profile: He has short arms.

At :48 in this video, you hear something very interesting that relates to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogR9TKyNmWg

Turned out to be quite prophetic. Will history repeat itself?
^My biggest issue with the Solomon Thomas defenders like yourself is that you are basically in a round about way claiming that you know better than our coaches, scouts, and front office.
Originally posted by dj43:
I just re-watched the second half of the game, primarily to focus on Skule, but also Thomas.

Thomas was being used on both ends of the line and did quite well. Nobody abused him. He held his own, even stalemated a double team. He was hustling. Was more than "just a back-up," IMO. Still not what you want from a #3 but it wasn't his fault he was picked there.

Did you see if he played inside at all and if so, how did he do?
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
I guess Thomas must have "earned" more snaps in "practice" this week.

I think Thomas was basically handed any starting position he could be good at the day he was drafted #3 overall and since then has managed to lose all of them in practice and in games. There's still nothing wrong with being the 6th best lineman on the best d-line in the league though and he'll be a good replacement for Armstead whose going to get a huge contract.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
^My biggest issue with the Solomon Thomas defenders like yourself is that you are basically in a round about way claiming that you know better than our coaches, scouts, and front office.

Those same coaches, scouts, and front office people were the ones who drafted Thomas in the first place. Why do you trust them now but not then?
Share 49erswebzone