There are 148 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas 3rd Overall Pick 2017 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
Even if I was to guy your belief that Thomas was a bench player at the very start of his career strictly because of the college rule that put him behind when he showed up....

....the idea that in his 3rd season, he has not been given ample enough opportunity to win the starting job over players who were drafted substantially lower than him and/or havent even been on the team as long has he has, is absolutely absurd.

Your argument would hold a sliver of weight if players like DJ Jones werent getting more PT than Thomas is. The fact that Thomas cant get on the field over those guys kind of poo poos all over your argument.
I do see his point to an extent. When you look at Moore and Willis it's a bridge situation. We have no plans for Moore, Willis is the future.
No one wants to hand the rook the job but once it's earned, the backup f ups or gets injured there's no turning back. That's different than the team being high on AA and Solly having to unseat him. It just goes to show that we never intended for Solly to replace AA. His role was planned elsewhere and he may just not have lived up to it.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Even if I was to guy your belief that Thomas was a bench player at the very start of his career strictly because of the college rule that put him behind when he showed up....

....the idea that in his 3rd season, he has not been given ample enough opportunity to win the starting job over players who were drafted substantially lower than him and/or havent even been on the team as long has he has, is absolutely absurd.

Your argument would hold a sliver of weight if players like DJ Jones werent getting more PT than Thomas is. The fact that Thomas cant get on the field over those guys kind of poo poos all over your argument.

The coaches never viewed Thomas as a potential nose guard. They viewed him as a 3 technique, and in order for him to start there, Buckner had to play horribly and be benched. That didn't happen.

D.J. Jones was Earl Mitchell's backup. He got the job after Mitchell fell out of favor with the coaches (and he's now out of football).
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
No, it was the worst position group on the team. That is actually a hilariously great example of exactly my point. They drafted Willis and still wouldn't bench Derek Smith - who was the worst linebacker in pro football - for him. He started out a backup, and it was only after Brandon Moore - who only became a starter the last several games down the stretch the previous year - missed a bunch of tackles in preseason, that they put him in over Moore.

Another player being benched because of poor play is not the same as you winning a job. I mean, when Garcia was benched for Stenstrom in 1999, did Stenstrom beat him out for the job?

Of course not. It was just that they saw how bad Garcia was the prior few weeks and wanted to see if Stenstrom would be any better. Then they switched back when Stenstrom was even worse.

If they based this stuff on practice, they wouldn't have only made these decisions after seeing the results in actual games.

You said you cannot become a starter without an injury. Now you're changing your argument because you know you're wrong. Moore, Smith, and Ulbrich was the deepest position group on the team. Moore had 6.5 sacks, Smith had been the teams leader in tackles for many years and was a good player before the eye issues, and Ulbrich always was decent when filling in. It wasn't a great group but find me a better trio of players on that roster... I'll wait. That team sucked really bad which is why I believe that group was the best on the team. If it were 2019 it would be the worst.

I really don't know what to say to you other than maybe before calling people "clueless" you should get your facts straight.

A scrimmage, to me, is a simulated game. The 49ers and every other team have 11-11 periods of practice. They don't just have combine drills like you said. It's not the same as a real game but it's certainly more of a scrimmage than a combine drill.

I think it's pretty clear from the context what my point is. The point is you can't "earn" anything; somebody else has to get injured or play badly in order for you to get your shot.

Moore was a former undrafted free agent who got playing time because of injuries to Ulbrich (who was mediocre...tough, but slow as molasses). Smith was utterly terrible his whole career and he's proof of the "seniority" effect in the NFL. Leading a team in quantity of tackles is meaningless; it's just a function of position. He played all 3 downs at the highest traffic position and padded his numbers tackling wide receivers and tight ends 10+ yards down field on 3rd down. What he couldn't do was bring ball carriers down at the point of contact. He also missed tackles at a similar rate to Kwon Alexander, but without the perks of delivering big hits or making great stops, or making great plays in coverage. He was never a factor in coverage or as a pass rusher, despite playing all 3 downs. He drifted around in zone and tackled receivers down field after they had already picked up the first.

Let's see...Frank Gore had a monster season, so RB was a better position group by default. Vernon was on board at TE. Walt Harris had a huge year and Shawntae Spencer was decent, so corner wasn't really the problem. Bryant Young was still good.

The 49ers and every other team don't do full contact practice anymore. That's an extension of how soft the league is now. You can't evaluate squat from this stuff, nor do coaches even really try to.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Yup the idiot coaches hate the number 3 overall pick and want to bury him in the depth chart and put him out of position. During the draft process Sollys concern was he didn't have position in the pros and still kinda doesn't.

Didn't have a position? How do you play football without a position? What did he do in college? Why was he drafted #3 overall after declaring after his sophomore year of college when he apparently didn't even play football?

Sheer lunacy. The arguments in this thread are absurd.

Because John Lynch had a class with him.

I can't think of another reason.
Trade Solly for a veteran LT if there's one out there
I still can't fathom how fans tie themselves so hard to a player.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I do see his point to an extent. When you look at Moore and Willis it's a bridge situation. We have no plans for Moore, Willis is the future.
No one wants to hand the rook the job but once it's earned, the backup f ups or gets injured there's no turning back. That's different than the team being high on AA and Solly having to unseat him. It just goes to show that we never intended for Solly to replace AA. His role was planned elsewhere and he may just not have lived up to it.

Spot on. Many including myself fell for the idea that he could be a Bennett type player. But the edge just doesn't work for him. He's really not bad inside. He could be a good player there for sure. But we just have dominant players there right now. Would be a crime to bench them.

Although it could be nice to rotate him with Armstead. One play you get a bull rush from Armstead then quickness of Thomas .
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
I still can't fathom how fans tie themselves so hard to a player.

the team could dump. thomas. ward cj and pettis today and i would sleep like a baby
  • dj43
Didn't have a position? How do you play football without a position? What did he do in college? Why was he drafted #3 overall after declaring after his sophomore year of college when he apparently didn't even play football?

Sheer lunacy. The arguments in this thread are absurd.

Continued comments like this will...

• dj43
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
PFF grade of 52.7 this weekend

Lowest rating amongst all Niner defenders

True.

To be fair, it is a big improvement from the 35 last week.
  • dj43
As for playing time...yesterday, Thomas played 33 snaps. DeForest Buckner played 34.

Why is Buckner losing snaps?

Cause he didn't have to play the 4th quarter. My god do you watch football.

They played Bosa in the 4th quarter, and he's dealing with an injury.

We have crap for depth behind Bosa and Ford.

Also, as good as he is, Bosa still needs experience at this level.
Originally posted by 951NINER:

I'm for this. That is why KS didn't even attempt for JG to throw a pass after Joe left. It was all runs and Skule is not ready for the LT backup spot.

We reportedly tested Solly on the trade market in the offseason, nobody wanted him
Originally posted by 49ers808:

We reportedly tested Solly on the trade market in the offseason, nobody wanted him

Shocking
Share 49erswebzone