There are 144 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas 3rd Overall Pick 2017 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Name a single example of a player becoming a starter without the starter getting injured or performing terrible.

Russel Wilson

Matt Flynn was terrible in preseason.
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Had a good hustle sack. No doubt about it fellas. He's an DR. Cancel your hopes of him getting inside snaps. They appear to like 4/5 other guys on the interior

Cause 4 to 5 other guys are better inside.

Absolutely no evidence of this. Armstead's sack today came from the edge. D.J. Jones is a run down specialist. Nose guard type. I'm not sure Jullian Taylor even has a pressure in his career yet. I don't think Sheldon Day has gotten a pressure yet this year either.

Yeah and Solly can't beat out those guys pretty sad I know. And there more to playing inside than rushing the passer

There is no "beating out." You can't "beat someone out" in the NFL if you don't get playing time. You need a starter to go down with injury to move ahead of someone on the depth chart.

Also, Thomas is the best interior run defender on the team. The coaches just rarely use him there on run downs (because they're idiots), but that's his forte. He was an interior run stuffer in high school and college. He started as a nose guard at Stanford.

The bolded is just flat out false.

Oh, so Tony Banks beat out Kurt Warner in 1998? The Rams left Kurt Warner unprotected in the 1999 expansion draft to the Browns because he was just not able to beat out the great Tony Banks? They signed Trent Green and he needed to get injured...must have been how terrible Warner was.

And then there's Kevan Barlow. Clearly, he BEAT OUT Frank Gore in 2005. Otherwise, Gore would not have needed Barlow to go down with an injury in order to become the starting running back.

And those were back when teams ran actual scrimmages. They don't even run scrimmages now. Everything they do in practice now is literally the same drills they do at the combine. You know, the combine: The thing the 49ers' coaches, scouts, and executives watched Thomas perform in and took him number 3 overall after watching him perform said drills.

He does the same drills the same way he did at the combine, yet they immediately placed him behind incumbent starter Arik Armstead in his rookie season, and he only became a starter after Armstead went down with injury. After he missed almost all of training camp because of the graduation rule.

Are you actually serious? Please tell me you're joking.

Uh...no? I'm pointing out how ridiculous it is to think that players can "beat out" other players in practice.

That is simply not how the game works.

The only way you ever move ahead on the depth chart is with injury or a starter playing so poorly that the coaches take him off the field.

Thomas was never given a chance at his actual position (defensive tackle), so he never had a chance to show what he could do.

There's a difference between saying a player never moves up a depth chart without injury to sometimes a young player will not move up without an injury to a veteran.

Of course teams like to ease in rookies and not every starter is based solely on performance.

But to say that you cannot move up on a depth chart without injury, might be the worst statement I've heard all year on this forum and shows that you clearly have never played football on any level.

I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

Name a single example of a player becoming a starter without the starter getting injured or performing terrible.

Patrick Willis started week 1 and MLB was our best position the year before.

Btw is this SY alt account?
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Name a single example of a player becoming a starter without the starter getting injured or performing terrible.

Alex Smith and Mahomes.
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
So if he puts on 15 pounds of fat - which he could probably do in about a month - he becomes Aaron Donald?

Donald may not be the best example because is he going to gain 15 pounds of fat and somehow get faster. Because 280 Donald already > 270 pound Solly.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
PFF grade of 52.7 this weekend


Lowest rating amongst all Niner defenders

Right next to Bosa though

Yes .

Bosa only had 30 snaps and a over rating of 53.2
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
So if he puts on 15 pounds of fat - which he could probably do in about a month - he becomes Aaron Donald?

Donald may not be the best example because is he going to gain 15 pounds of fat and somehow get faster. Because 280 Donald already > 270 pound Solly.

Plus Donald is actually good
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Had a good hustle sack. No doubt about it fellas. He's an DR. Cancel your hopes of him getting inside snaps. They appear to like 4/5 other guys on the interior

Cause 4 to 5 other guys are better inside.

Absolutely no evidence of this. Armstead's sack today came from the edge. D.J. Jones is a run down specialist. Nose guard type. I'm not sure Jullian Taylor even has a pressure in his career yet. I don't think Sheldon Day has gotten a pressure yet this year either.

Yeah and Solly can't beat out those guys pretty sad I know. And there more to playing inside than rushing the passer

There is no "beating out." You can't "beat someone out" in the NFL if you don't get playing time. You need a starter to go down with injury to move ahead of someone on the depth chart.

Also, Thomas is the best interior run defender on the team. The coaches just rarely use him there on run downs (because they're idiots), but that's his forte. He was an interior run stuffer in high school and college. He started as a nose guard at Stanford.

The bolded is just flat out false.

Oh, so Tony Banks beat out Kurt Warner in 1998? The Rams left Kurt Warner unprotected in the 1999 expansion draft to the Browns because he was just not able to beat out the great Tony Banks? They signed Trent Green and he needed to get injured...must have been how terrible Warner was.

And then there's Kevan Barlow. Clearly, he BEAT OUT Frank Gore in 2005. Otherwise, Gore would not have needed Barlow to go down with an injury in order to become the starting running back.

And those were back when teams ran actual scrimmages. They don't even run scrimmages now. Everything they do in practice now is literally the same drills they do at the combine. You know, the combine: The thing the 49ers' coaches, scouts, and executives watched Thomas perform in and took him number 3 overall after watching him perform said drills.

He does the same drills the same way he did at the combine, yet they immediately placed him behind incumbent starter Arik Armstead in his rookie season, and he only became a starter after Armstead went down with injury. After he missed almost all of training camp because of the graduation rule.

Are you actually serious? Please tell me you're joking.

Uh...no? I'm pointing out how ridiculous it is to think that players can "beat out" other players in practice.

That is simply not how the game works.

The only way you ever move ahead on the depth chart is with injury or a starter playing so poorly that the coaches take him off the field.

Thomas was never given a chance at his actual position (defensive tackle), so he never had a chance to show what he could do.

There's a difference between saying a player never moves up a depth chart without injury to sometimes a young player will not move up without an injury to a veteran.

Of course teams like to ease in rookies and not every starter is based solely on performance.

But to say that you cannot move up on a depth chart without injury, might be the worst statement I've heard all year on this forum and shows that you clearly have never played football on any level.

I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

Name a single example of a player becoming a starter without the starter getting injured or performing terrible.

Patrick Willis started week 1 and MLB was our best position the year before.

Btw is this SY alt account?

Huh? MLB was Derek Smith (horrid) and Brandon Moore. Moore was horrible in preseason and benched. Smith was his usual horrible self and continued to be the starter regardless of how utterly atrocious he was.
TradeThomas I like how you sneakily added in "or plays terribly" to your argument after the fact.

And also that you think players don't scrimmage anymore. You're funny man.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Name a single example of a player becoming a starter without the starter getting injured or performing terrible.

Alex Smith and Mahomes.

Mahomes backed up Alex Smith his whole rookie year. Mahomes never beat him out. The Chiefs traded Smith and moved on, much the way the Chargers let Drew Brees leave and moved on with Rivers. Rivers obviously never beat out Brees.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
TradeThomas I like how you sneakily added in "or plays terribly" to your argument after the fact.

And also that you think players don't scrimmage anymore. You're funny man.

You've clearly never been to an NFL practice if you think they actually do scrimmages. Just clueless.

Originally posted by Waterbear:
Patrick Willis started week 1 and MLB was our best position the year before.

Btw is this SY alt account?

SY was anti Solly. Well he started pro Solly then flipped hard.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 16, 2019 at 10:34 AM ]
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Huh? MLB was Derek Smith (horrid) and Brandon Moore. Moore was horrible in preseason and benched. Smith was his usual horrible self and continued to be the starter regardless of how utterly atrocious he was.

It was the best position group on the team. I remember that because I wanted Carriker and used that arguement not to draft Willis. Oops.

Either way... that's not what you said. You said that you cannot win a job without an injury now you're changing your argument.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Huh? MLB was Derek Smith (horrid) and Brandon Moore. Moore was horrible in preseason and benched. Smith was his usual horrible self and continued to be the starter regardless of how utterly atrocious he was.

It was the best position group on the team. I remember that because I wanted Carriker and used that arguement not to draft Willis. Oops.

Either way... that's not what you said. You said that you cannot win a job without an injury now you're changing your argument.

No, it was the worst position group on the team. That is actually a hilariously great example of exactly my point. They drafted Willis and still wouldn't bench Derek Smith - who was the worst linebacker in pro football - for him. He started out a backup, and it was only after Brandon Moore - who only became a starter the last several games down the stretch the previous year - missed a bunch of tackles in preseason, that they put him in over Moore.

Another player being benched because of poor play is not the same as you winning a job. I mean, when Garcia was benched for Stenstrom in 1999, did Stenstrom beat him out for the job?

Of course not. It was just that they saw how bad Garcia was the prior few weeks and wanted to see if Stenstrom would be any better. Then they switched back when Stenstrom was even worse.

If they based this stuff on practice, they wouldn't have only made these decisions after seeing the results in actual games.
[ Edited by TradeThomasToNE on Sep 16, 2019 at 10:43 AM ]
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
No, it was the worst position group on the team. That is actually a hilariously great example of exactly my point. They drafted Willis and still wouldn't bench Derek Smith - who was the worst linebacker in pro football - for him. He started out a backup, and it was only after Brandon Moore - who only became a starter the last several games down the stretch the previous year - missed a bunch of tackles in preseason, that they put him in over Moore.

Another player being benched because of poor play is not the same as you winning a job. I mean, when Garcia was benched for Stenstrom in 1999, did Stenstrom beat him out for the job?

Of course not. It was just that they saw how bad Garcia was the prior few weeks and wanted to see if Stenstrom would be any better. Then they switched back when Stenstrom was even worse.

If they based this stuff on practice, they wouldn't have only made these decisions after seeing the results in actual games.

You said you cannot become a starter without an injury. Now you're changing your argument because you know you're wrong. Moore, Smith, and Ulbrich was the deepest position group on the team. Moore had 6.5 sacks, Smith had been the teams leader in tackles for many years and was a good player before the eye issues, and Ulbrich always was decent when filling in. It wasn't a great group but find me a better trio of players on that roster... I'll wait. That team sucked really bad which is why I believe that group was the best on the team. If it were 2019 it would be the worst.

I really don't know what to say to you other than maybe before calling people "clueless" you should get your facts straight.

A scrimmage, to me, is a simulated game. The 49ers and every other team have 11-11 periods of practice. They don't just have combine drills like you said. It's not the same as a real game but it's certainly more of a scrimmage than a combine drill.
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Name a single example of a player becoming a starter without the starter getting injured or performing terrible.

Russel Wilson

Matt Flynn was terrible in preseason.

Forest Gump
Share 49erswebzone