LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by lamontb:
The easy b******t test is just to simply ask if the Rams Hawks or Cards drafted him at #3 and he had the exact same production he has had with us what would 99% of us call him? Only the 1% that had a draft crush on the guy would still be holding out hope. As you can she the guys in thread still holding out hope were all in favor with drafting him to begin with. This isn't that hard to decipher. But we all now know the reality.

That's because we wouldn't have any clue about the politics on those teams.

Was Vernon Gholston really a bust, or is Rex Ryan just a clown? I have no idea.
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Except they DIDN'T see him as an edge. The coaches have repeatedly said they saw him as an inside rusher who will affect games rushing from the inside.

There's no coach speak in that, because they were just being asked about how they planned to use him. They weren't being asked how good he was, etc.

Lynch, Shanahan, and even Saleh said they viewed him as an inside pass rusher.

And then they gave him 5 snaps per game rushing the QB inside.

I'm assuming by your handle that this is a secondary account, lol
Originally posted by genus49:
The point was too many people around these parts are so quick to trash players early in their careers instead of just letting them play and showing what they can do.

How many people were calling for Vance McDonald to be cut/traded?

We can pretty much go down the list for any player who didn't play great out of the gate...hell go look at the Bosa thread and with him missing 2 practices people are already circling again trying to talk sh*t about him being injury prone even though he was our best DLman vs Tampa and hasn't missed a single meaningful game yet.

Sure there are times when players under perform early and never break out but IMO before you judge a player one way or another you should see them for a good 3 years.

I was. And Kittle had 1300 yards without that average tight end getting in his way. I fail to see how I misjudged there.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 12, 2019 at 2:06 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
The point was too many people around these parts are so quick to trash players early in their careers instead of just letting them play and showing what they can do.

We can pretty much go down the list for any player who didn't play great out of the gate...hell go look at the Bosa thread and with him missing 2 practices people are already circling again trying to talk sh*t about him being injury prone even though he was our best DLman vs Tampa and hasn't missed a single meaningful game yet.

Sure there are times when players under perform early and never break out but IMO before you judge a player one way or another you should see them for a good 3 years.

I was. And Kittle had 1300 yards without that average tight end getting in his way. I fail to see how I misjudged there.

Me too . Vance was and is still trash . Delanie Walker is old as dirt and is still way better than him

But at least McDonald made sense as a pick since we didn't have a bunch of 1st round TEs on the team .
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Me too . Vance was and is still trash . Delanie Walker is old as dirt and is still way better than him

But at least McDonald made sense as a pick since we didn't have a bunch of 1st round TEs on the team .

Yeah I'm not on the McDonald bandwagon just because at 28 he finally produced as the 4th option in a potent offense
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

2018 McDonald per game: 3.3 rec for 40 yards and 0.3 TDs

2017 Walker per game: 4.6 rec for 50.4 yards and 0.2 TDs

Way better? I don't know about that.
Originally posted by Jcool:

2017 Walker season equals more than half of McDonalds career receptions lol
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

So?

So?

Walker out performed his yardage by 25% and catches by 33% all while Vance is playing for the #2 passing offense in the league

I know that's way better
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by slowriot:
Kevin Lynch‏ @klynch49 16s16 seconds agoMore

He's much more of an athlete than Alabama's Jonathan Allen, who's more of a technician. You can't argue with that pick. #49ers

How is Jonathan Allen doing theses days..

Currently dealing with a MCL sprain

Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Not many teams who needed a qb passed on Mahomes and he was a top 10 pick.

How many non-all time great qbs have thrown for 5000 yards and 50 TDs.
Calling him just good is ridiculous, he is elite.
Alex Smith looked like a complete scrub in '17 compared to Mahomes in '18.

At least 6 teams with no real starter at QB or a mediocre QB passed on him. That certainly means we weren't the only front office who didn't see him as a "generational" talent at QB.

And Alex Smith had a career year in that offense with LESS talent than Mahomes had in 2018.

Alex Smith...

You remember him right? The guy who hardly ever throws the ball deep, the guy who is a game manager at best most of his career?

You want to use hindsight and pretend Mahomes is an elite QB on this roster? On the roster we had in 2017? That doesn't happen.

If we draft Mahomes there is a very likely scenario where people are asking if Mullens should be starting over him now. Good luck seeing him use that arm of his throwing deep when our OL can't block the same way.

He went to the perfect team for him. The idea that he grasps Kyle's system as a rookie is a huge assumption and sorry I'm not buying it. You can point to how well he played last year...with THAT roster. I'm worried about ours.

Mahomes is an elite qb period.

First you called him just good, now you are saying he would play so poorly here the fans would be calling for him to be benched.

You have over committed to your argument and gone off the rails.

He's an elite QB based on where he plays.

Fact is if he was a generational talent or elite talent at QB like you and others have claimed(using HINDSIGHT based on how he played last year for KANSAS CITY) he would've been drafted way before KC moved up for him.

Mahomes got to sit back for a full season. Lean from Andy Reid and Alex Smith. He got the keys to the team when they loaded up that offense. Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins, Travis Kelce a terrific OL. Kareem Hunt and other guys they had, They designed the offense around his talents.

We draft Mahomes at #2/#3 and he's starting. You don't draft a QB that high with no real QB on the roster and let him sit.

You honestly think he has anywhere near the success he had with KC if he's forced to start early in 2017? And yes there is a real possibility that despite his talent the lack of talent here and possible struggles with Kyle's system - Kyle doesn't change his system for a QB, the QB has to learn the system.

You want to judge Mahomes based on how he played on a totally different team, totally different talent around him and different scheme and then pretend the same QB shows up here as a rookie. That's not how things work.

There have been a ton of great QB prospects, some of them considered ELITE who have gotten killed early in their careers because the talent on those teams have been so poor that they never lived up to their expectations. So yes there is a very real possibility that Mahomes comes here and despite his talent things go to sh*t for him and who knows how his confidence suffers as a result.

Either way we didn't take Mahomes so get over it. Any discussion about Mahomes playing here is hypothetical. You claiming he'd be elite here as well is a total hypothetical which cannot be proven.

How many qbs have thrown for 50 tds and 5000 yards in a season?
Were any of them not elite?

Mahomes is elite. I don't think he would have had 5000/50 here but he would have done better than anyone they could have gotten.

Saying he is like other great prospects who failed or saying he would have played badly enough for fans to call for him to be benched seems to be huge overstatements.
  • dj43
I want some dang Solomon Thomas news....

...not off-topic QB debate.
Originally posted by dj43:

Ditto x 1000000000000000
Originally posted by dj43:

You will get plenty of Solly posts when he plays 15 snaps on Sunday, and his fans inexplicably wonder why.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Wtf are you talking about? It wasn't Kittle or Vance. The point was people had no patience and were calling for Vance to be CUT when there was absolutely no reason to do so cap wise or logic wise. Having Kittle and Vance here now wouldn't give us a great TE duo now?

He's played very well for Pittsburgh. The point is people take this stuff personally and if players aren't instant impact types or deal with injuries the webzone is super quick to trash them. You can point out someone isn't playing well or needs to improve a certain part of their game without acting like that player murdered your pet.
Share 49ersWebzone