LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
uhh no....I don't believe we drafted BPA that year.

BPA is completely subjective to every team. A lot of people, including myself, ranked Jamaal Adams and Malik Hooker higher as the better prospect, but since they were safeties, they fell down because defensive end is seen as the better investment as far as "positional value".

Solomon shot up the draft boards very late in the process because of a good bowl game. And I'm sure taking a class with John Lynch helped him a lot. A lot of people say that taking a class together was meaningless, and had nothing to do with us selecting him. I'd say....that's being very naive. Having the right connections with the right people will often get you a better job in life in general. I don't see how its any different in football.

OMG this crap again?

First of all Kyle Shanahan calls the shots on who we draft. That's crystal fuking clear when we draft Joe Williams who was taken off our draft board and CJ Beathard. Did he go to Stanford too? Did he take a class with Lynch?

Thomas was considered one of the best players in the country long before that NC game, it just helped his draft stock in a big way.

Thomas isn't the first prospect to shoot up draft boards due to offseason workouts and etc. Carson Wentz was considered as a sleeper pick in the 2nd round after his last season. He shot up to #2 overall...think the eagles regret their selection?

Goff was considered by most the top QB in that class but until the Rams traded up to #1 overall you saw a ton of mocks which had him falling to us at 7.

If you honestly think that a first time GM/HC is going to draft a player they don't consider to be worth #2/#3 overall at those picks because of their connection then you're not naive, you're just stupid.

Why did Pete Carroll pass on Taylor Mays to draft Earl Thomas? Surely that's a situation where you take the guy who played for your team...you know him, he's played in your scheme...match made in heaven right?

The fact that Thomas took a class with Lynch was just a fun bonus. They drafted him because of his tape, because of what they knew about him and his athletic ability. It hasn't worked out but I'm 100% confident "took class with John Lynch" was nowhere on their scouting report.

Not to mention I don't even think they were that close in that class. Sounded like it was just in passing. Some of you are acting like the two of them were banging and Lynch just had to have him close by...
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Solomon was supposed to be a more athletic and more effective version of Arik Armstead. It hasn't worked out like that unfortunately so far. However, we are only one game into the new season/system. Remember the imbeciles last year saying Kittle will never be anything more than a #2 TE after Week 1? Yeah. You see how that turned out.

If he's still not producing or making any impact later in the year, then we know we have a real problem. For now, let's show a little more patience. I'd personally rather not jump to conclusions and look like a total fool while losing all credibility later because I made bold proclamations too soon.

I don't remember people saying that about Kittle. I said Kittle was an A+ pick and absolutely perfect for KS

The two picks I've been screaming about Lynch nailing that year was Spoon and Kittle

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/188733-49ers-select-george-kittle-round-pick-146/page66/

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/188733-49ers-select-george-kittle-round-pick-146/page67/

"Screw this redneck hillbilly."

"So many excuses made for him."

"He's not the long term answer."

"We could do much better."

"No special traits. Easily replaced in the off-season."

Lol and reading which posters who wrote those sounds about right
[ Edited by Alfienator on Sep 12, 2019 at 10:22 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Thomas and Allen were regarded as the two best DTs in college football that yr (draft eligible) that didn't happen because of one game at the end of the yr.

Is what it is now, dude was a clean prospect the only issue was the "tweener" label and yes it has been an issue. IMO a better defensive mind would get more out of ST. Bro will move onto NE in a couple yrs and have career numbers

well....by the time Thomas is out of here, after the 5th year option, etc, Brady will be around 45. I'd say thats right around when he'll retire, maybe sooner. I'll take those chances. I don't mind NE picking him up at that point.
Solomon was supposed to be a more athletic and more effective version of Arik Armstead. It hasn't worked out like that unfortunately so far. However, we are only one game into the new season/system. Remember the imbeciles last year saying Kittle will never be anything more than a #2 TE after Week 1? Yeah. You see how that turned out.

If he's still not producing or making any impact later in the year, then we know we have a real problem. For now, let's show a little more patience. I'd personally rather not jump to conclusions and look like a total fool while losing all credibility later because I made bold proclamations too soon.

I don't remember people saying that about Kittle. I said Kittle was an A+ pick and absolutely perfect for KS

The two picks I've been screaming about Lynch nailing that year was Spoon and Kittle

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/188733-49ers-select-george-kittle-round-pick-146/page66/

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/188733-49ers-select-george-kittle-round-pick-146/page67/

lol...shocker okdkid being one of the guys to trash on Kittle too.

Guess every player is sh*t until they're not.
Originally posted by genus49:
OMG this crap again?

First of all Kyle Shanahan calls the shots on who we draft. That's crystal fuking clear when we draft Joe Williams who was taken off our draft board and CJ Beathard. Did he go to Stanford too? Did he take a class with Lynch?

Thomas was considered one of the best players in the country long before that NC game, it just helped his draft stock in a big way.

Thomas isn't the first prospect to shoot up draft boards due to offseason workouts and etc. Carson Wentz was considered as a sleeper pick in the 2nd round after his last season. He shot up to #2 overall...think the eagles regret their selection?

Goff was considered by most the top QB in that class but until the Rams traded up to #1 overall you saw a ton of mocks which had him falling to us at 7.

If you honestly think that a first time GM/HC is going to draft a player they don't consider to be worth #2/#3 overall at those picks because of their connection then you're not naive, you're just stupid.

Why did Pete Carroll pass on Taylor Mays to draft Earl Thomas? Surely that's a situation where you take the guy who played for your team...you know him, he's played in your scheme...match made in heaven right?

The fact that Thomas took a class with Lynch was just a fun bonus. They drafted him because of his tape, because of what they knew about him and his athletic ability. It hasn't worked out but I'm 100% confident "took class with John Lynch" was nowhere on their scouting report.

Not to mention I don't even think they were that close in that class. Sounded like it was just in passing. Some of you are acting like the two of them were banging and Lynch just had to have him close by...

I didn't say its the only reason. I'd say it helped somewhat. Even if its a small difference, that goes a long way. We know there was a huge dropoff after Myles Garrett was the consensus #1, and this FO probably had a bunch of prospects after that in a similar tier. You don't think it was a factor at all? Come on.....

Especially for this FO.......they tend to go after players that they have familiarity with. Earl Mitchell....Tevin Coleman. A lot of the FA signings and guys they bring in, they trace back to a time when Kyle coached them up. Or Martin Mayhew knowing Laken Tomlinson. Etc etc....

Kyle Shanahan does not call the shots by himself. It's a collaborative effort, but Shanahan has priority when it comes to skill players on offense. So for picks like Beathard, Pettis, Joe Williams, Jalen Hurd, Deebo, those are the guys he identified. I don't think Shanahan is the type of guy who would bang on the table and demand that John Lynch trade up for a defensive player....Maybe he might be, but we have not seen that yet. I defintetely don't buy that Shanahan demanded that John Lynch draft Solomon Thomas. It's more likely that they came to a mutual agreemeent.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Lol and reading which posters who wrote those sounds about right

you may think i am nuts which is understandable but you never caught me saying that stuff about george!
Originally posted by tjd808185:

There's some big differences there. We sent Vance packing so you knew Kittle would get his opportunities. If people called him trash it's an overreaction to a bad game. Here it's clear the team prefers someone else over him. You can't shine when you're not even on the field. Unless AA goes down how does that change?

That further illustrates the point that it's far too early to make absolute statements. We're one game into the season. Since AA wasn't jettisoned, Thomas won't get as many snaps either way. AA played too well last year, and continued to play too well in the game Sunday for them to shake it up much. It wasn't necessarily a knock on Thomas but more a credit to AA. Does that make sense?

That said, the moment AA starts to struggle with a matchup where his opponent is weaker against speed than power, that's when I think you'll see the snap count shift more towards Thomas. That's one nice thing we have -- I think in terms of the depth of skill-set balance, this D-line is pretty good.
OMG this crap again?

I didn't say its the only reason. I'd say it helped somewhat. Even if its a small difference, that goes a long way. We know there was a huge dropoff after Myles Garrett was the consensus #1, and this FO probably had a bunch of prospects after that in a similar tier. You don't think it was a factor at all? Come on.....

Especially for this FO.......they tend to go after players that they have familiarity with. Earl Mitchell....Tevin Coleman. A lot of the FA signings and guys they bring in, they trace back to a time when Kyle coached them up. Or Martin Mayhew knowing Laken Tomlinson. Etc etc....

Kyle Shanahan does not call the shots by himself. It's a collaborative effort, but Shanahan has priority when it comes to skill players on offense. So for picks like Beathard, Pettis, Joe Williams, Jalen Hurd, Deebo, those are the guys he identified. I don't think Shanahan is the type of guy who would bang on the table and demand that John Lynch trade up for a defensive player....Maybe he might be, but we have not seen that yet. I defintetely don't buy that Shanahan demanded that John Lynch draft Solomon Thomas. It's more likely that they came to a mutual agreemeent.

Wait, you're comparing familiarity between coaches and players to two people who took the same class?

Let me say, I don't think okdkid is an "imbecile" at all. Just happened to make a premature statement at the time. I regret the word usage, too harsh and I changed it. I've looked silly plenty of times myself in the past saying things about players too soon, which is why I've learned the hard way to be more patient.
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Wait, you're comparing familiarity between coaches and players to two people who took the same class?

I'd say that knowing someone's character is a big part of the draft process, so if you know someone personally, why would that not help?

Especially after the Reuben Foster debacle. Perhaps if Lynch took a class at Alabama and saw this guy being an idiot, maybe he wouldn't have drafted him.

• okdkid
  • Veteran

Hell yeah! I was a BIG Kittle hater in his first year. No doubt. I'll own it. I didn't see it at all with the injury and drops. Always happy to be wrong if the guy turns into a beast.

HOWEVER -- Kittle & Thomas are not comparable. Kittle became a beast instantly when his injury issues were behind him. Thomas is getting even LESS playing time as his career progresses.
[ Edited by okdkid on Sep 12, 2019 at 10:45 AM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Let me say, I don't think okdkid is an "imbecile" at all. Just happened to make a premature statement at the time. I regret the word usage, too harsh and I changed it. I've looked silly plenty of times myself in the past saying things about players too soon, which is why I've learned the hard way to be more patient.

It's the way of the internet.

I don't. I think the fact that our DL was so awful that we couldn't stop the run for SH*T the year prior with Buckner and Armstead already on the team was the reason for the selection.

Our safety group was actually a lot stronger than our DL even with Buckner there. I mean do you guys recall just how pathetic we were at stopping the run?

The class with Lynch was a funny side bonus. Like think about this for a second...do you honestly think when evaluating players someone had the balls to say "hey I took a class with this kid, he's going to be a great edge rusher for us because of it"?

It just doesn't make any sense. It's something people throw out to try to sh*t on the pick even more and pretend that somehow Thomas wasn't considered a top 5 draft pick for all sorts of people who didn't take a class with Lynch. Why did they rank him so highly?

And yes Kyle and Lynch came to a mutual agreement, has to be the case for #3 overall pick...which is why it's silly to think that there was any push from Lynch for Solly cuz of their class together. Lynch is a HOF candidate safety, he cares about football evaluations not alumni connections. This isn't a coaching internship we're talking about here. This was their first selection. If Lynch didn't fully trust Thomas as a football player he would've never drafted him with that first pick.
Originally posted by okdkid:

Hell yeah! I was a BIG Kittle hater in his first year. No doubt. I'll own it. I didn't see it at all with the injury and drops. Always happy to be wrong if the guy turns into a beast.

HOWEVER -- Kittle & Thomas are not comparable. Kittle became a beast instantly when his injury issues were behind him. Thomas is getting even LESS playing time as his career progresses.

The point should be to stop being so eager to sh*t on players. I want the best guys on this roster but watching football over the years I've seen many guys who jump out right away and end up having monster careers but I've also seen plenty who stumbled out of the gate and didn't put it together until later in their careers.

We can't change the past and Thomas very likely will never turn out to be a quality player here, especially if we keep putting him at edge and hoping a miracle happens there(it won't) but that doesn't change the fact that he was a great player at Stanford and he got his stock raised on his own merits and not because he took a class with Lynch.

Will we give him a chance to succeed in any shape or form here by playing him inside? We'll see. Doesn't look promising. But just like Kittle his book isn't quite closed.

Let's see what happens. In either case I simply don't understand the desire to trash on players so early in their careers.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

i make a living out of it.. i supported the jh firing and tried to be supportive of jt but that lasted two games and i changed my tune real quick. to bad we have some posters.. NOT YOU,,. who love to throw that stuff in our face years later. like they have never changed their mind on someone
Share 49ersWebzone