LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by genus49:
Apparently 6 teams passing on an "elite/generational" QB prospect isn't enough to indicate that he wasn't considered some can't miss prospect.

Yup you are correct.

Those are 2 phrases that are not equivalent

Mahomes arm was generational talent. But he was risky because he'd need to adapt to an nfl offense, and it was a bigger learning curve than Tribusky

If you guys don't think Mahomes has the highest ceiling of a prospect that year, than I simply think you're incapable of evaluating a qb in the draft.

Teams passing on Mahomes as proof of value is ridiculous, and relies on a heaping manure pile of assumptions.

Finally for the 59th time, it wasn't ST or Mahomes. There were other guys on the board as well.
Solomon was supposed to be a more athletic and more effective version of Arik Armstead. It hasn't worked out like that unfortunately so far. However, we are only one game into the new season/system. Remember the people last year talking like Kittle will never be anything more than a #2 TE after Week 1? Yeah. You see how that turned out.

If he's still not producing or making any impact later in the year, then we know we have a real problem. For now, let's show a little more patience. I'd personally rather not jump to conclusions and look like a total fool while losing all credibility later because I made bold proclamations too soon.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 12, 2019 at 10:35 AM ]
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Apparently 6 teams passing on an "elite/generational" QB prospect isn't enough to indicate that he wasn't considered some can't miss prospect.

Yup you are correct.

Mahomes arm was generational talent. But he was risky because he'd need to adapt to an nfl offense, and it was a bigger learning curve than Tribusky

If you guys don't think Mahomes has the highest ceiling of a prospect that year, than I simply think you're incapable of evaluating a qb in the draft.

Teams passing on Mahomes as proof of value is ridiculous, and relies on a heaping manure pile of assumptions.

Finally for the 59th time, it wasn't ST or Mahomes. There were other guys on the board as well.

His arm was yes...but we've seen numerous cannon armed QBs who were total failures in the league.

Calling him a generational arm talent is correct.

Calling him a generational QB prospect is hindsight BS.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Solomon was supposed to be a more athletic and more effective version of Arik Armstead. It hasn't worked out like that unfortunately so far. However, we are only one game into the new season/system. Remember the imbeciles last year saying Kittle will never be anything more than a #2 TE after Week 1? Yeah. You see how that turned out.

If he's still not producing or making any impact later in the year, then we know we have a real problem. For now, let's show a little more patience. I'd personally rather not jump to conclusions and look like a total fool while losing all credibility later because I made bold proclamations too soon.

There's some big differences there. We sent Vance packing so you knew Kittle would get his opportunities. If people called him trash it's an overreaction to a bad game. Here it's clear the team prefers someone else over him. You can't shine when you're not even on the field. Unless AA goes down how does that change?
His arm was yes...but we've seen numerous cannon armed QBs who were total failures in the league.

If you have a gifted offensive mind as a coach, the thought of giving him a generational arm talent should make you hard.
Solomon was supposed to be a more athletic and more effective version of Arik Armstead. It hasn't worked out like that unfortunately so far. However, we are only one game into the new season/system. Remember the imbeciles last year saying Kittle will never be anything more than a #2 TE after Week 1? Yeah. You see how that turned out.

I don't remember people saying that about Kittle. I said Kittle was an A+ pick and absolutely perfect for KS

The two picks I've been screaming about Lynch nailing that year was Spoon and Kittle

If you have a gifted offensive mind as a coach, the thought of giving him a generational arm talent should make you hard.

At the time of that draft I said if Kyle thinks any of those 3 is someone to build his franchise around then i would trust him.

Obviously for whatever reason Kyle didn't get hard enough for any of them - whether it was going with what he felt was the safer route and signing Cousins(the guy he knew could handle his system) or just not trusting those guys to pick up a pro system we'll never know.

What's done is done. Hopefully Jimmy gets back to the guy we saw in 2017 or better and if Thomas can start making an impact for us then even better.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
was hoping the new DL coach would improve Thomas' play and positioning on the line.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by cciowa:
You would think lynch the dc. whoever drafted him and is in charge of his playing time would see that. i give thomas s**t. but actually the biggest s**t needs to be dumped on lynch and dc and yes kyle for not having a clue what to do with him on the day he was drafted. and as we go along. they still have no clue what to do with him

Part of this is due to drafting BPA...it is just that one would hope the BPA was somewhat on the short list of positions of need. And....our strong suit was DTs (interiors), but we took BPA.

That is exactly why drafting BPA is one thing but not necessarily the best idea. But drafting BPA at a position of need is THE one best way to do well in drafting.
See, this is my biggest problem with drafting BPA. You wind up drafting a guy that you really don't need. And this is why I had a problem with us drafting Thomas. Even at that time, as is now the case, interior D-line is a position of strength. I don't care how good that player is, teams have no business drafting high at positions of strength. The sad thing is that Thomas is a really good interior D-lineman. But this was predictable; there was nothing in Thomas' time at Stanford that indicated that he'd be a good EDGE rusher in the NFL, at least none that I seen.

The problem is that some guy named DeForest Buckner makes it impossible for him to get on the field at his natural position. Making him an edge rusher (or trying to make him one) just compounded the draft mistake. All the team has done was wasted time, his and the teams.

I so hope we've gotten our fill of drafting BPA

At the time of that draft I said if Kyle thinks any of those 3 is someone to build his franchise around then i would trust him.

Obviously for whatever reason Kyle didn't get hard enough for any of them - whether it was going with what he felt was the safer route and signing Cousins(the guy he knew could handle his system) or just not trusting those guys to pick up a pro system we'll never know.

What's done is done. Hopefully Jimmy gets back to the guy we saw in 2017 or better and if Thomas can start making an impact for us then even better.
As long as we keep expecting him to be an edge rusher don't count on that.

uhh no....I don't believe we drafted BPA that year.

BPA is completely subjective to every team. A lot of people, including myself, ranked Jamaal Adams and Malik Hooker higher as the better prospect, but since they were safeties, they fell down because defensive end is seen as the better investment as far as "positional value".

Solomon shot up the draft boards very late in the process because of a good bowl game. And I'm sure taking a class with John Lynch helped him a lot. A lot of people say that taking a class together was meaningless, and had nothing to do with us selecting him. I'd say....that's being very naive. Having the right connections with the right people will often get you a better job in life in general. I don't see how its any different in football.

Nowhere did I say Mahomes didn't have the highest ceiling, so no need to make up stuff to prove something. Sure his arm was "generational" so is Josh allen's and we weren't pounding the table for him? JaMarcus Russell had a "generational" arm as well.

I never brought up it was Mahomes or ST that has been discussed at nauseam in here...I literally brought up a list of other names on the prior page
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 12, 2019 at 9:57 AM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
This guy does not deserve 1000+ pages. There's nothing to debate.
[ Edited by okdkid on Sep 12, 2019 at 10:09 AM ]
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
uhh no....I don't believe we drafted BPA that year.

BPA is completely subjective to every team. A lot of people, including myself, ranked Jamaal Adams and Malik Hooker higher as the better prospect, but since they were safeties, they fell down because defensive end is seen as the better investment as far as "positional value".

Solomon shot up the draft boards very late in the process because of a good bowl game. And I'm sure taking a class with John Lynch helped him a lot. A lot of people say that taking a class together was meaningless, and had nothing to do with us selecting him. I'd say....that's being very naive. Having the right connections with the right people will often get you a better job in life in general. I don't see how its any different in football.

Thomas and Allen were regarded as the two best DTs in college football that yr (draft eligible) that didn't happen because of one game at the end of the yr.

Is what it is now, dude was a clean prospect the only issue was the "tweener" label and yes it has been an issue. IMO a better defensive mind would get more out of ST. Bro will move onto NE in a couple yrs and have career numbers

I don't remember people saying that about Kittle. I said Kittle was an A+ pick and absolutely perfect for KS

The two picks I've been screaming about Lynch nailing that year was Spoon and Kittle

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/188733-49ers-select-george-kittle-round-pick-146/page66/

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/188733-49ers-select-george-kittle-round-pick-146/page67/

"Screw this redneck hillbilly."

"So many excuses made for him."

"He's not the long term answer."

"We could do much better."

"No special traits. Easily replaced in the off-season."
Share 49ersWebzone