LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 422 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
dp
[ Edited by genus49 on Aug 21, 2019 at 10:51 AM ]
Originally posted by genus49:
So let's shut this thread down until the regular season then?

Thomas may never live up to #3 overall pick given what happened with his sister and his career so far and it may be due to multiple reasons. It doesn't mean he can't turn into a quality player.

And if we're not shutting down this thread then there's no harm in pointing out that the kid looked good in the snaps he got. The idea that he could be improving after getting his head right after the tragedy last season is far fetched somehow?

Whether people want to admit it or not he was a talented player and was drafted that high for a reason.

Some people just want to see the world burn.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by 951NINER:
The term "played well" seems to be different for you and those of us who disagree.

I'm all for the Solomon Thomas reformation project that some on the WZ are undertaking. I hope he makes it. But it's a sad state we are in praising cut up clips in year 3 of the 3rd quarter of the 2nd preseason game for our #3 overall pick. Sucks for a guy like Givens. Little chance to make the roster.
I'm definitely not someone who wants to see him fail. Especially after learning about everything he's been through. It's not his fault for being drafted that high. I would love to be wrong, but I never believed he was the BPA at the time. As I mentioned on the previous page, he just doesn't have a natural position. Too small for the interior and too slow for the edge. Saleh can't figure it out. The blame will be placed solely on Lynch if he never lives up to his potential. Just sad, that we might have wasted a top 5 pick in a rebuilding process.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Thomas may never live up to #3 overall pick given what happened with his sister and his career so far and it may be due to multiple reasons. It doesn't mean he can't turn into a quality player.

And if we're not shutting down this thread then there's no harm in pointing out that the kid looked good in the snaps he got. The idea that he could be improving after getting his head right after the tragedy last season is far fetched somehow?

Whether people want to admit it or not he was a talented player and was drafted that high for a reason.

or some expect more out of a third pick. if bosa comes out and plays like thomas would people be happy?
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
The term "played well" seems to be different for you and those of us who disagree.

I'm all for the Solomon Thomas reformation project that some on the WZ are undertaking. I hope he makes it. But it's a sad state we are in praising cut up clips in year 3 of the 3rd quarter of the 2nd preseason game for our #3 overall pick. Sucks for a guy like Givens. Little chance to make the roster.

There's always harsh critics and people who praise any little thing. But I think overall people have been very supportive of Thomas and meanwhile trash AA.

For example: plenty of clips and YouTube videos trying to support Thomas play but not one AA video when PFF had him as our best rated defender last year.

I root for all players but it's clear we want Thomas to do be better than Givens, AA, or any other dline player justified or not.

You're right. With Thomas it just feels like we are praising a high schooler for reading at a 2nd grade level. We've moved the goalposts wayyyyy forward for Thomas.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

or some expect more out of a third pick. if bosa comes out and plays like thomas would people be happy?

Like I said...let's close up this thread and call it a day then?

If Nick comes in here and we move him to NT and Joey blows his brains out before the season starts next year will your expectations be the same?

Thomas didn't have any favors done to him, whether it was having to sit out minicamps/OTAs cuz of the stupid college rule, being asked to play out of position where his great athletic skills get diminished big time on the outside and then his sister's suicide.

People have to get over the 3rd overall thing. The moment has passed and some bad sh*t went down with this kid.

Considering you only have to go back a few pages to see people acting like he wasn't doing ANYTHING worth talking about this camp/preseason the goal posts have been changed to now "well he's not doing it against anyone good or consistently enough"

So where do we draw the line?

Did Von Miller dominate in Monday's game? He had several snaps vs our backups. Does that mean he sucks now? Even the great players don't win every rep.

Thomas played well. It doesn't mean he's worth #3 overall now. It doesn't mean he's going to the pro bowl.

It does mean that he played well in a preseason game.

If Nick comes in here and we move him to NT

Dude, I've got a clip of Nick Bosa as a true Sophomore at 1technique standing up both the center and guard like a f**king true nose tackle lol.
[ Edited by Heroism on Aug 21, 2019 at 12:10 PM ]
Originally posted by _Goldblooded_:
Originally posted by cciowa:
It's sad that this is where we're at with him. Does anybody really see this dude getting a 2nd contract with us?

This is the #3 pick in the draft and we're congratulating him for having a mixed game against a bad offensive line's backups. This is how we treat mid round guys like Blair.
yep, unreal how low we have sunk with him and how low our bar is now set with the third pick in the draft,.

So when he plays well we cant give him credit. When he doesn't play well the narrative can continue.

He played well in games that matter against people that matter with consistency?

And I'm sure if he didn't play well you wouldn't be laughing at him or calling him a bust because he didn't play well in a preseason game against backups right?

He didn't just play against backups btw...

Save it.

You guys the #3 overall pick in his third year didnt just play against backups. Super comforting.

Doubling down on the whole "i'll only point out when he plays like sh*t otherwise I don't want to hear about it" thing huh?

ok kid.

You claimed he did nothing to stand out to you.

Kyle Shanahan praised him for how well he played...but what does he know.

It's not even about praising a guy for playing well against backups. It's about people like yourself who can't even acknowledge when he does play well, regardless of who he played well against. And once again...had he played poorly against those same players I'm sure you or others with an ax to grind against Thomas would be in here laughing at anyone who thought he could have a bounce back season this year.

Can't have it both ways.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:

Dude, I've got a clip of Nick Bosa as a true Sophomore at 1technique standing up both the center and guard like a f**king true nose tackle lol.

...like an elite DL should. Dude just makes plays. Put him anywhere.

Go away, you're not helping

• okdkid
  • Veteran

Elite players don't need excuses. They just make plays.

All jokes aside to Hero Nick Bosa playing NT 85% of his snaps doesn't help make him better and would be misuse big time.

Solomon Thomas isn't Nick Bosa. He's not that type of talent so let's not get into that comparison. Not all draft classes are created equal but what made Thomas a high draft pick was his play inside and specifically his athletic ability. That athletic ability is rare at DT but more common at DE.

That's not even bringing up the mental part of the game where he got a late start on during his rookie season and then clearly was f&cked up after his sister killed herself. If your head isn't in the game to the point where you're thinking of killing yourself...all that talent goes out the window.

Lol! No slight at Solly. You just reminded me of that play when you mentioned Bosa at NT.

This dude is special. Freakishly football strong.

• okdkid
  • Veteran

All jokes aside to Hero Nick Bosa playing NT 85% of his snaps doesn't help make him better and would be misuse big time.

Solomon Thomas isn't Nick Bosa. He's not that type of talent so let's not get into that comparison. Not all draft classes are created equal but what made Thomas a high draft pick was his play inside and specifically his athletic ability. That athletic ability is rare at DT but more common at DE.

That's not even bringing up the mental part of the game where he got a late start on during his rookie season and then clearly was f&cked up after his sister killed herself. If your head isn't in the game to the point where you're thinking of killing yourself...all that talent goes out the window.

I'm not saying it's ideal nor optimal. But elite DL-men (what a top 5 DL pick should be) will make plays anywhere along the DL. I'm glad he can take on a double team, sometimes. But my guess is Bosa would be impactful even if we foolishly lined him up at NT. Thomas becomes a total non factor when he's at DE.
I'm not saying it's ideal nor optimal. But elite DL-men (what a top 5 DL pick should be) will make plays anywhere along the DL. I'm glad he can take on a double team, sometimes. But my guess is Bosa would be impactful even if we foolishly lined him up at NT. Thomas becomes a total non factor when he's at DE.

I don't agree. Put Khalil Mack at NT and he doesn't have nearly the same impact as he does as DE. That goes for Nick as well.

Thomas wasn't awful as a rookie at DE but he wasn't close to what a top 3 pick should be - you won't get disagreement from me on that front.

The issue is he's not the type of prospect who is huge but highly athletic with speed and power - the type of talents you're talking about. His game is mostly speed/quickness with decent power but not hulk like strength. You put him outside where you're further away from the QB and ask him to be an edge rusher with limited time to pick up the position and it's setting him up for failure.

He wasn't a complete failure as a rookie. He made some good plays mostly in the running game and he had some flashes as a rusher though he never showed consistency to indicate he's a great fit there.

His second season was a complete wash due to tragic circumstances and honestly we may never know what he could've been. Much like Alex Smith's career.

But back to the original point while those elite talents may be able to make plays from anywhere if you put them out of their position for the bulk of their snaps you will see a much inferior player.

Nick Bosa had a nice rep against a double team from inside. Does that mean he's going to be Haloti Ngata if he's just played at NT 80% of his snaps? You say he'd still be impactful at NT...like in Hero's clip? He does exactly what a NT should do which is hold up blockers but when Sully does something similar on the edge - a solid play but not exactly sexy it doesn't mean squat.

Each player has their strengths and they have their weaknesses. We played Thomas at edge out of necessity but he's a totally different player inside. Hopefully we see him there more often than not.
Share 49ersWebzone