Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by _Goldblooded_:
Originally posted by cciowa:
It's sad that this is where we're at with him. Does anybody really see this dude getting a 2nd contract with us?

This is the #3 pick in the draft and we're congratulating him for having a mixed game against a bad offensive line's backups. This is how we treat mid round guys like Blair.
yep, unreal how low we have sunk with him and how low our bar is now set with the third pick in the draft,.

So when he plays well we cant give him credit. When he doesn't play well the narrative can continue.

He played well in games that matter against people that matter with consistency?

And I'm sure if he didn't play well you wouldn't be laughing at him or calling him a bust because he didn't play well in a preseason game against backups right?

He didn't just play against backups btw...

Save it.

You guys the #3 overall pick in his third year didnt just play against backups. Super comforting.

Doubling down on the whole "i'll only point out when he plays like sh*t otherwise I don't want to hear about it" thing huh?

ok kid.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
It's sad that this is where we're at with him. Does anybody really see this dude getting a 2nd contract with us?

This is the #3 pick in the draft and we're congratulating him for having a mixed game against a bad offensive line's backups. This is how we treat mid round guys like Blair.
yep, unreal how low we have sunk with him and how low our bar is now set with the third pick in the draft,.

So when he plays well we cant give him credit. When he doesn't play well the narrative can continue.
it would be nice to see him play like a third pick overall when the bullets fly for real. what he or anyone did vs scrubs means nothing to me
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
Thomas looked good. Lots of hustle. I'm glad.

Valoaga looks like a keeper. High motor.

Armstead is a bust.

so many of the backups looked better than armstead. dude is horrible.
so is ward but they have job security here and that will not change

it would be nice to see him play like a third pick overall when the bullets fly for real. what he or anyone did vs scrubs means nothing to me

Has the season started yet?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Nastastical:

Has the season started yet?

i am sure he will make the team. i like him better than aa. sorry i have just been underwhelmed by him. now we have a moron dc which does thomas no favors. i am glad he is having a nice pre season. i just want to see it carry over . i have a glimmer of hope for him. none for aa
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Doubling down on the whole "i'll only point out when he plays like sh*t otherwise I don't want to hear about it" thing huh?

ok kid.

Yes! (unless it happens consistently in games that matter)
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Welp, this is funky. Solly playing edge out of a 2-point stance. I saw this a few times tonight. Is Saleh trying to create confusion for the OL? Don't typically see guys stand up in Kocurek's fronts.

Either way, nice play by Solly.

If they're not going to call it, why not do it, right?

#3 overall pick, and we are happy that he is somewhat competing in a preseason game?!

This guy should be playing 3-4 plays of a preseason game or even sitting up in the booth with Bosa & Kittle (5th rounder)!

We passed on Pat Mahomes for this!!!!?

Using hindsight I see.

Absolutly!

That's not a compliment.

Thank You

He played well in games that matter against people that matter with consistency?

And I'm sure if he didn't play well you wouldn't be laughing at him or calling him a bust because he didn't play well in a preseason game against backups right?

Save it.

You guys the #3 overall pick in his third year didnt just play against backups. Super comforting.

ok kid.
The term "played well" seems to be different for you and those of us who disagree.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 951NINER:
The term "played well" seems to be different for you and those of us who disagree.

I'm all for the Solomon Thomas reformation project that some on the WZ are undertaking. I hope he makes it. But it's a sad state we are in praising cut up clips in year 3 of the 3rd quarter of the 2nd preseason game for our #3 overall pick. Sucks for a guy like Givens. Little chance to make the roster.
Originally posted by 951NINER:

I'm all for the Solomon Thomas reformation project that some on the WZ are undertaking. I hope he makes it. But it's a sad state we are in praising cut up clips in year 3 of the 3rd quarter of the 2nd preseason game for our #3 overall pick. Sucks for a guy like Givens. Little chance to make the roster.

There's always harsh critics and people who praise any little thing. But I think overall people have been very supportive of Thomas and meanwhile trash AA.

For example: plenty of clips and YouTube videos trying to support Thomas play but not one AA video when PFF had him as our best rated defender last year.

I root for all players but it's clear we want Thomas to do be better than Givens, AA, or any other dline player justified or not.

Save it.

Sucks that we have a #3 overall guy going against rookies, and looking just okay.

But hey, he's not only a Stanford guy he's a former Stanford classmate of our GM.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001043069/article/2017-nfl-draft-revisited-grades-for-firstrounders-two-years-in

Solomon Thomas - DE
Grade: D- | School: Stanford
Thomas has struggled to get his career off the ground since becoming the first pick of the John Lynch era in San Francisco. The former Pac-12 Defensive Lineman of the Year registered just one sack and six QB hits in 16 games last fall (as he dealt with a personal tragedy off the field), and that's after tallying just three QB takedowns and nine QB hits in his rookie season, per PFF. His four-sack total ties him for 17th among his draft classmates, with two DBs ( Desmond King and Jamal Adams) recording as many or more than the pass rusher. With Thomas yet to live up to his draft pedigree, the Niners, who had already invested their 2015 and '16 first-round picks in the D-line, selected yet another pass rusher in Round 1 this year ( Nick Bosa at No. 2 overall) and traded a second-round pick for Dee Ford, whom they then signed to an $87.5 million contract. Many of his teammates and Lynch have come to Thomas' defense this offseason, expressing confidence that the third-year pro will bounce back in 2019, given everything he was going through last season. Let's hope they're right. Because if Thomas' production doesn't pick up significantly in Year 3, it's possible not even his Stanford Connection will be enough to keep him on the 49ers' roster.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001043069/article/2017-nfl-draft-revisited-grades-for-firstrounders-two-years-in

Solomon Thomas - DE
Thomas has struggled to get his career off the ground since becoming the first pick of the John Lynch era in San Francisco. The former Pac-12 Defensive Lineman of the Year registered just one sack and six QB hits in 16 games last fall (as he dealt with a personal tragedy off the field), and that's after tallying just three QB takedowns and nine QB hits in his rookie season, per PFF. His four-sack total ties him for 17th among his draft classmates, with two DBs ( Desmond King and Jamal Adams) recording as many or more than the pass rusher. With Thomas yet to live up to his draft pedigree, the Niners, who had already invested their 2015 and '16 first-round picks in the D-line, selected yet another pass rusher in Round 1 this year ( Nick Bosa at No. 2 overall) and traded a second-round pick for Dee Ford, whom they then signed to an $87.5 million contract. Many of his teammates and Lynch have come to Thomas' defense this offseason, expressing confidence that the third-year pro will bounce back in 2019, given everything he was going through last season. Let's hope they're right. Because if Thomas' production doesn't pick up significantly in Year 3, it's possible not even his Stanford Connection will be enough to keep him on the 49ers' roster.

Too easy to write that after year two and what happened to him last year. Jury is still out, as we've said all off-season. I'm waiting to see what happens this season. This season, I have no doubt we'll truly know what we've got.

So let's shut this thread down until the regular season then?

Thomas may never live up to #3 overall pick given what happened with his sister and his career so far and it may be due to multiple reasons. It doesn't mean he can't turn into a quality player.

And if we're not shutting down this thread then there's no harm in pointing out that the kid looked good in the snaps he got. The idea that he could be improving after getting his head right after the tragedy last season is far fetched somehow?

Whether people want to admit it or not he was a talented player and was drafted that high for a reason.

Solomon Thomas - DE

I remember reading similar things about Armstead a while ago. Who knows. Maybe it will finally click for Solly in Year 5 when we pick up his 5th year option. But at that point, we'll have likely moved on just like with AA after this year.
Share 49ersWebzone