LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 951NINER:
I still don't see the fascination with this guy. What are you guys seeing that I'm not? Thomas played the entire first half vs a very mediocre offensive line. Nothing stood out to me.

It's just hope. Nothing more.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by Heroism:
It baffles me that people on here don't understand what a zone run is given who our head coach is.

"BuT hE gOt DoUBlEd"

Yes, that's the entire point. Interior players get doubled on those type of runs. It's their job to defeat those doubles, and when the interior player can't hold up, he becomes a liability. Hence why the coaches struggle with Solly's position.

That is not 100% true.

A lot of the time your job is to hold ground, or even hold a double to enable pursuit by your team mates. Quite often you don't WANT split a double team.

Even if your job is to split a double team, the NFL is riddled with pro-bowl DLmen that don't routinely beat double teams. Hell the HOF is loaded with them too.

That is literally the HARDEST thing to do on defense. Use one player to negate two players on offense.

IF you get one guy that can beat a double team 10% to 15% of the time and you can put him in the HOF. You basically have (what we believe is) Peak Aaron Donald.

For perspective, Aaron Donald took around 900 snaps and had a hurry, sack or tackle roughly 170 times. He spent roughly 70% of his time double teamed. So around 18% of his snaps were impact plays.

Well said. Was trying to talk sense to Heroism last night, you did a better job. Lol
I still don't see the fascination with this guy. What are you guys seeing that I'm not? Thomas played the entire first half vs a very mediocre offensive line. Nothing stood out to me.

Maybe you should learn how to watch the game outside of the obvious?

You can point out that he didn't face great competition but if you couldn't see him playing well that says more about you. Not to mention people have literally posted several plays where he did some really good things.

And he was out there without the top guys who would give him a ton of 1 on 1s if not allowing him to be unblocked.
Thomas looked good. Lots of hustle. I'm glad.

Valoaga looks like a keeper. High motor.

Armstead is a bust.
Originally posted by genus49:

You can point out that he didn't face great competition but if you couldn't see him playing well that says more about you. Not to mention people have literally posted several plays where he did some really good things.

And he was out there without the top guys who would give him a ton of 1 on 1s if not allowing him to be unblocked.
Here we go. You must be an expert who watches football outside of the obvious.

You know what it is obvious? This guy is not a difference maker in any capacity. No matter who he plays.

You know what it is obvious? This guy is not a difference maker in any capacity. No matter who he plays.

I didn't force you to make your earlier hot take here. You decided to make it a point and essentially call out other posters who were saying he played well and pretend they had no idea what they were seeing.

If you say nothing stood out to you then you don't know what to look for when it comes to DL play. No reason to get upset.
Was a good game. Hope he can build on it and take it into the regular season.

Will be interesting to see how he goes with Buck, Ford, Bosa there too.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
Thomas looked good. Lots of hustle. I'm glad.

Valoaga looks like a keeper. High motor.

Armstead is a bust.

so many of the backups looked better than armstead. dude is horrible.
Man with this d line is at full strength they are going to be a serious problem. If Solly and Armstead cant win their match ups with Buckner, Ford and Bosa on the field their spots should be up for grabs.

Originally posted by KittleSkittle:

I was happy with what i saw from him yesterday. Some plays he didn't do much to stand out but he did make some plays also in the limited time he played which is nice to see. Hopefully he can continue to build on it.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Welp, this is funky. Solly playing edge out of a 2-point stance. I saw this a few times tonight. Is Saleh trying to create confusion for the OL? Don't typically see guys stand up in Kocurek's fronts.

Either way, nice play by Solly.

If they're not going to call it, why not do it, right?

#3 overall pick, and we are happy that he is somewhat competing in a preseason game?!

This guy should be playing 3-4 plays of a preseason game or even sitting up in the booth with Bosa & Kittle (5th rounder)!

We passed on Pat Mahomes for this!!!!?

Using hindsight I see.

Absolutly!

That's not a compliment.
lol
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
Was a good game. Hope he can build on it and take it into the regular season.

Will be interesting to see how he goes with Buck, Ford, Bosa there too.

+1

I just don't get this. Solomon is doubled the entire time he is in( but watch that stop immediately once Buck, Dee and Nick are on the DL), and he TOOK ON TWO OLS AT ONCE, got in on some tackles, and i think he had 2 TFLs . If not it was close. I mean what else do you want from an interior DT ? His job is to occupy TWO OLs, so his teammates can make the plays. But still he busted thru sometimes. The guy looked like a good interior DT to me. Cripes he played a good game.

Jeez, read Hero again...or for the first time. That is what interior DLs do.
Share 49ersWebzone