There are 171 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas 3rd Overall Pick 2017 NFL Draft

Originally posted by smithgdwg:
The end didn't keep contain.

Street wrong shouldered the kicker. That's likely coached that way. Someone has to scrape.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by dj43:
He held his lane against a double team. The RB had to bounce it clear around behind him. If 32 does not overrun the play to the inside, it is held to little of no gain.
Exactly. He literally only got pushed back half a yard against a double team. That's a win. People just don't understand football.

That's funny because you guys clearly don't understand defensive line play.

As an interior DL, if you don't defeat the drive blocker(and eliminate the seal blocker in this case with a hip drop), you're not doing your job. He got passed off and the guard was free to work to the next level. That's a fail. Fortunately, Mayo filled the A gap quickly, which is the reason the running back cut it back.

No D-line coach in America would expect any player to take on a double team and beat them. Hold your ground is a win. If you're able to beat it that's a huge bonus. Sit down.

I love Sully but getting turned around is never a win for the DL. It wasn't a total flop but that snap is definitely not something we want to see from him or other DLmen.

As I brought up before he had a much better rep later on where he split the double. Will have to find it tomorrow cuz it's bed time on the east coast.

He didn't get turned around lol, he was spinning off because the RB had bounced it outside. That's just being a football player at that point and hustling to the ball. Something Solly does CONSTANTLY and gets very little credit for from the negative nancies in here.

He looked pretty quick doing that spin and running to the RB (even after the double team)...a lot of energy / high motor

# TasmanianDevil
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by dj43:
He held his lane against a double team. The RB had to bounce it clear around behind him. If 32 does not overrun the play to the inside, it is held to little of no gain.
Exactly. He literally only got pushed back half a yard against a double team. That's a win. People just don't understand football.

That's funny because you guys clearly don't understand defensive line play.

As an interior DL, if you don't defeat the drive blocker(and eliminate the seal blocker in this case with a hip drop), you're not doing your job. He got passed off and the guard was free to work to the next level. That's a fail. Fortunately, Mayo filled the A gap quickly, which is the reason the running back cut it back.

No D-line coach in America would expect any player to take on a double team and beat them. Hold your ground is a win. If you're able to beat it that's a huge bonus. Sit down.

I love Sully but getting turned around is never a win for the DL. It wasn't a total flop but that snap is definitely not something we want to see from him or other DLmen.

As I brought up before he had a much better rep later on where he split the double. Will have to find it tomorrow cuz it's bed time on the east coast.

He didn't get turned around lol, he was spinning off because the RB had bounced it outside. That's just being a football player at that point and hustling to the ball. Something Solly does CONSTANTLY and gets very little credit for from the negative nancies in here.

He looked pretty quick doing that spin and running to the RB (even after the double team)...a lot of energy / high motor

# TasmanianDevil

Yep. He was in position to clean it up if need be. Just watch how often he's pursuing backside making tackles downfield. Dude's on a mission.
Originally posted by sacniner:
He looked like a different man. Good for him. Keep it up, Solly

His interior rushes were definitely impressive.

Respect
Welp, this is funky. Solly playing edge out of a 2-point stance. I saw this a few times tonight. Is Saleh trying to create confusion for the OL? Don't typically see guys stand up in Kocurek's fronts.

Either way, nice play by Solly.

If they're not going to call it, why not do it, right?

[ Edited by Heroism on Aug 19, 2019 at 10:10 PM ]
Thomas looked really good tonight. Lost some weight, got his mind right, playing with a little bit of a chip on his shoulder. Our D-Line is going to be awesome this year. Predicting a record number of sacks.
Solly will look better theoretically with bosa, buckner and ford on the line
great game let's see him keep getting better each week and put it together when the real games start. We could have the deepest DL on football and that's going to give us a big advantage if we can sniff the playoffs.
But didn't silly look good last preseason int vs 2nd stringers too?
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Moved back inside and he does this

https://streamable.com/izy5s

https://streamable.com/30g23

If he has Buckner also rushing inside then Bosa and Ford coming off the edge. Then there's nowhere at all to go on that play.

And notice that Day got doubled on each. If that was a run, he'd have to stack and hold ground long enough for the reserves to arrive.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Alex04221989:
great game let's see him keep getting better each week and put it together when the real games start. We could have the deepest DL on football and that's going to give us a big advantage if we can sniff the playoffs.

Yeah, we've got a great DL rotation going that's right up there in the league.
Nice performance
Hero is probably one of the most objective posters in here so chill. It's a valid concern.

Remember, he's dropped down to 270 so it's going to be much harder to anchor against double teams inside.

The crime is that he could be 290 right now and based on the prototypical 2i description, could have grown into a FT 2i there over time.

But clearly, they are sticking with the hybrid DE (base) IDT (pass rush) role. Oh well. Knowing that, I'll keep my expectations where they are at.
My jersey is still safe for now. Just loved his interior work.
I mean if you're expecting any player to win 100 percent of reps, that's a bit much. Thomas looked fine to me.
Share 49erswebzone