LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
Keep him inside and give him help. That's about the only way he will have consistent success in the NFL. Semi disappointing considering his draft slot.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Hero is probably one of the most objective posters in here so chill. It's a valid concern.

Remember, he's dropped down to 270 so it's going to be much harder to anchor against double teams inside.

The crime is that he could be 290 right now and based on the prototypical 2i description, could have grown into a FT 2i there over time.

But clearly, they are sticking with the hybrid DE (base) IDT (pass rush) role. Oh well. Knowing that, I'll keep my expectations where they are at.

I thought 280 would be the sweet spot for Solly. It sucks to hear he didn't feel comfortable at that weight. I don't know if he'll ever sustain enough interior reps on this team to realize his full potential.

side note: Did you see the snickel? It's back(at least for yesterday's game). AA looks even more terrible at edge in a wide 9 front lol. I'm surprised nobody brought this up.
[ Edited by Heroism on Aug 20, 2019 at 7:01 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Hero is probably one of the most objective posters in here so chill. It's a valid concern.

Remember, he's dropped down to 270 so it's going to be much harder to anchor against double teams inside.

The crime is that he could be 290 right now and based on the prototypical 2i description, could have grown into a FT 2i there over time.

But clearly, they are sticking with the hybrid DE (base) IDT (pass rush) role. Oh well. Knowing that, I'll keep my expectations where they are at.

I thought 280 would be the sweet spot for Solly. It sucks to hear he didn't feel comfortable at that weight. I don't know if he'll ever sustain enough interior reps on this team to realize his full potential.

side note: Did you see the snickel? It's back(at least for yesterday's game). AA looks even more terrible at edge in a wide 9 front lol. I'm surprised nobody brought this up.

Yea I want to go back and watch the 1st qtr but it makes no sense to have AA in that much space as if he has ER skill set to use that space to make moves to get around the tackle.
He's def better inside
  • thl408
I saw Givens (#60) own the right guard on a pass rush. If that's the same guard that Solly pushed around that kind of diminishes the impact of those two clips where Solly worked the right guard. No idea who that guard is. The play where Solly got a tackle for loss on an outside run, what stood out to me was how pumped up he was after the play. Glad to see that fire.
Originally posted by thl408:
I saw Givens (#60) own the right guard on a pass rush. If that's the same guard that Solly pushed around that kind of diminishes the impact of those two clips where Solly worked the right guard. No idea who that guard is. The play where Solly got a tackle for loss on an outside run, what stood out to me was how pumped up he was after the play. Glad to see that fire.

That is Austin Schlottmann, he's their backup C/G

Agreed. I could see if he wanted to be more explosive, naturally wanting to be his lower, more comfortable weight. Man, just can't shake the tweener role. Total bummer. I get it.

My God, if Saleh wants to get all his fatasses snaps, SNICKEL is really, the only way he'll be able to do it. Really. I'm praying this was more of a result of the top 4 ER's out in Bosa, Ford, Moore and Blair. Pray with me.
Originally posted by genus49:
Welp, this is funky. Solly playing edge out of a 2-point stance. I saw this a few times tonight. Is Saleh trying to create confusion for the OL? Don't typically see guys stand up in Kocurek's fronts.

Either way, nice play by Solly.

If they're not going to call it, why not do it, right?

#3 overall pick, and we are happy that he is somewhat competing in a preseason game?!

This guy should be playing 3-4 plays of a preseason game or even sitting up in the booth with Bosa & Kittle (5th rounder)!

We passed on Pat Mahomes for this!!!!?
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Welp, this is funky. Solly playing edge out of a 2-point stance. I saw this a few times tonight. Is Saleh trying to create confusion for the OL? Don't typically see guys stand up in Kocurek's fronts.

#3 overall pick, and we are happy that he is somewhat competing in a preseason game?!

This guy should be playing 3-4 plays of a preseason game or even sitting up in the booth with Bosa & Kittle (5th rounder)!

Using hindsight I see.
A PFF grade that actually makes perfect sense.

I still don't think we keep him long term and I'm not ready to say he's better than AA but you can tell he will be much more effective as a pass rusher this year.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Did they leave him in to play into the 4th?
Originally posted by okdkid:
Did they leave him in to play into the 4th?

I don't think so.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by glorydayz:

Using hindsight I see.

Absolutly!
Share 49ersWebzone