LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 159 users in the forums

WR Marquise "Flash" Goodwin (traded to PHI)

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'm actually thinking in the minority here, but I have been right a lot of times when I do. Been a 49er fan since I was 6yrs.old 1973, Daly City. And I have seen the highs /lows, changes and turn overs. So believe me when I say have a viable frame of reference when it comes to the accuracy of MOST (not all) of my "predictions". So here it is: I think they do both,, "move" Goodwin, and let Sanders sign in FA elsewhere (for what will amount to too much $$$$ for us to pay). I also think we WONT get into a bidding war for Bourne, if as a RFA he gets an offer that's too much for us vs. his value (AS PERCEIVED AND DETERMINED BY THE COACHES, NOT US FANS). Bill Walsh did and wud have made similar moves in his heyday, and the 49ers wouldn't miss a beat, Kyle may have to do and prove the same thing (which he can). that leaves us: Hurd and Taylor back from injury, Pettis( rejuvenated and fighting for his career), a 2nd. tier FA ( Perriman, Richardson, Treadwell, Lattimer, Austin), and draft a Rookie (Shenault, Claypool, Higgins, Jefferson-If drafted high)(Pittman Jr., Gandy-Golden, or Edwards-If drafted late). And Ritchie James. and Bourne (if he signs tender and gets no takers). The loss of Sanders will HURT initially, but would subside by game 2 or 3 I believe. Also loss of Goodwin, ALREADY been absorbed and will be a non factor.
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
I'm actually thinking in the minority here, but I have been right a lot of times when I do. Been a 49er fan since I was 6yrs.old 1973, Daly City. And I have seen the highs /lows, changes and turn overs. So believe me when I say have a viable frame of reference when it comes to the accuracy of MOST (not all) of my "predictions". So here it is: I think they do both,, "move" Goodwin, and let Sanders sign in FA elsewhere (for what will amount to too much $$$$ for us to pay). I also think we WONT get into a bidding war for Bourne, if as a RFA he gets an offer that's too much for us vs. his value (AS PERCEIVED AND DETERMINED BY THE COACHES, NOT US FANS). Bill Walsh did and wud have made similar moves in his heyday, and the 49ers wouldn't miss a beat, Kyle may have to do and prove the same thing (which he can). that leaves us: Hurd and Taylor back from injury, Pettis( rejuvenated and fighting for his career), a 2nd. tier FA ( Perriman, Richardson, Treadwell, Lattimer, Austin), and draft a Rookie (Shenault, Claypool, Higgins, Jefferson-If drafted high)(Pittman Jr., Gandy-Golden, or Edwards-If drafted late). And Ritchie James. and Bourne (if he signs tender and gets no takers). The loss of Sanders will HURT initially, but would subside by game 2 or 3 I believe. Also loss of Goodwin, ALREADY been absorbed and will be a non factor.

Walsh had three wide receivers for his entire NFL coaching career: Dwight Clark, Freddie Solomon, and Jerry Rice. Sprinkle in a little Mike Wilson in any gaps. He didn't have to worry about his WRs.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Walsh had three wide receivers for his entire NFL coaching career: Dwight Clark, Freddie Solomon, and Jerry Rice. Sprinkle in a little Mike Wilson in any gaps. He didn't have to worry about his WRs.

One acquired by trade, one acquired in the 10th round, which is so low it doesn't exist anymore, and one trade up into the middle of the 1st.

It doesn't matter where you find 'em I guess.
Damn imagine getting a 6th or 7th for him
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I'll take anything we can get. Better than getting nothing in return and releasing him. With a class this stacked at WR, we could add a guy like Tyler Johnson, Van Jefferson, or even Darnell Mooney in the mid to late rounds as another speedster in the rotation.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:

no JT ?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I'll take anything we can get. Better than getting nothing in return and releasing him. With a class this stacked at WR, we could add a guy like Tyler Johnson, Van Jefferson, or even Darnell Mooney in the mid to late rounds as another speedster in the rotation.

Teams value speed and he's one of the fastest in the league...and on a cheap deal (SF would eat some of that this yr).

Would Goodwin and our early 5th work for someone's 3rd? I mean I don't think it's impossible.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Teams value speed and he's one of the fastest in the league...and on a cheap deal (SF would eat some of that this yr).

Would Goodwin and our early 5th work for someone's 3rd? I mean I don't think it's impossible.

Well, the interesting dynamic is that Goodwin will be going to a WR needy team (obviously). And in this draft, you could potentially get a first-round caliber WR in the 3rd. So they'd be opting out of that.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Keep him and let Sanders walk.

Not sure who's gonna trade for him. More likely gonna get cut
Originally posted by okdkid:

Well, the interesting dynamic is that Goodwin will be going to a WR needy team (obviously). And in this draft, you could potentially get a first-round caliber WR in the 3rd. So they'd be opting out of that.

Yeah we will see. Just throwing out a what if.

Kid can run quality routes and is stupid fast. Just can't stay healthy and his hands are questionable.

You're not finding 4.27 speed in the 3rd, also the team would get back a 5th.

Won't be shocked if he's moved, my scenario would be best case
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Not sure who's gonna trade for him. More likely gonna get cut

He's dirt cheap and still stupid fast. Teams value speed. It's not like SF would get some value trade package in return.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:

Yeah we will see. Just throwing out a what if.

Kid can run quality routes and is stupid fast. Just can't stay healthy and his hands are questionable.

You're not finding 4.27 speed in the 3rd, also the team would get back a 5th.

Won't be shocked if he's moved, my scenario would be best case

His off field issues was the problem with Goodwin. Now, things have settled down with his family and he should be back 100% mentally wise.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 6, 2020 at 8:16 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Keep him and let Sanders walk.

that makes one of you who thinks that is a nice idea.
Share 49ersWebzone