There are 254 users in the forums

WR Marquise "Flash" Goodwin (traded to PHI)

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
So this guy kind of is a big deal......for our offense to properly run.

what's the word? Has he practiced limited atleast or is he going to miss another week. I haven't seen anything
Originally posted by footballxpaul:

what's the word? Has he practiced limited atleast or is he going to miss another week. I haven't seen anything

For a bruise. Shouldn't have gave him the big money man.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by footballxpaul:

Too soon to say. What happens on Friday will be a better indicator if plays or not or if he's a gametime decision.
[ Edited by Hopper on Sep 19, 2018 at 12:19 PM ]

That is a bit disconcerting, NC, if we have to have Marquise for the offense to go...smoothly, that is. I hope that isn't the case, because iif he even has a hangnail, and can't run....then we are screwed. But out O sure did shut down and that is worrisome. Is it that DBs play off him because of his speed, and thus he gets open underneath? Is that all it is or is there more.? JG sure looked lost on some plays where i think MG would have been open if he were there, but the replacement wasn't in the right place.
It looked like that may have happened a lot....and i wondered if that wasn't the etiology of those 6 sacks?

If the O works or not is based on one WR...then that is trouble for us. I sure hope it isn't that way. We'll see Sunday.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

That is a bit disconcerting, NC, if we have to have Marquise for the offense to go...smoothly, that is. I hope that isn't the case, because iif he even has a hangnail, and can't run....then we are screwed. But out O sure did shut down and that is worrisome. Is it that DBs play off him because of his speed, and thus he gets open underneath? Is that all it is or is there more.? JG sure looked lost on some plays where i think MG would have been open if he were there, but the replacement wasn't in the right place.
It looked like that may have happened a lot....and i wondered if that wasn't the etiology of those 6 sacks?

If the O works or not is based on one WR...then that is trouble for us. I sure hope it isn't that way. We'll see Sunday.

It's not just Goodwin. It was losing Goodwin and McKinnon. Those two guys were huge pieces in our offense and the passing game in particular. That's like saying, "It's worrisome that Atlanta's offense doesn't run as well without Julio and Devonta Freeman." I'm not saying Goodwin is Julio, but he has a HUGE affect on what the defense does. A lot of it is his speed - think of DeSean Jackson and what he did for his offenses for all those years with his elite speed, but it's how he uses that speed and how when you pair him with a QB who can throw a really accurate ball with anticipation, what that does to defenders. You try and press him - we all saw how Sherman, one of the best press corners, fared with that. You play off him, with Jimmy's release and accuracy, he'll eat your sack lunch all day with a cushion in man-coverage. He's also really slippery and smooth on his breaks so he's really hard to cover in man-coverage. Remember the pinpoint throw Jimmy put on him in the first drive of the Jags game last year? Jalen Ramsey was in coverage and Goodwin was just too good and Jimmy's throw to accurate. Goodwin gets one step on a guy...gone. Remember the video of Aquib Talib trying to cover him in man-coverage drills? Threw up his arms like, "how the heck am I supposed to cover this guy".

Goodwin was a legit #1 receiver with Jimmy. That's why we gave him an extension and pay raise.

Even if you count the Rams game when Goodwin went out as a full game, Goodwin's average per game when Jimmy was playing equals to 1,229 yards over a full season. If you take the 4 games, CHI, HOU, TEN, JAX, it equals 1,424 yards over a 16 game season. He was a legit #1 last year with Jimmy. You take any QB or offense's #1 receiver away and you're going to see a dropoff.
There's no substitute for 4.2 speed.

Come back soon, Marquise.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
I think part of it too, is that Goodwin is the WR who Jimmy has the best chemistry with. They have played together the most after all.
The Lions went all in on stopping the pass too. Hence the nearly 200 yds of rushing.
Originally posted by boast:

We won't have any good wins without Goodwin. :/
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

It's McKinnon, a viable starting guard, and Goodwin. The combination of missing all three of these is what's hurting us. Having a healthy Person + Garnett means a more consistent run game and pass pro. McKinnon just gives Kyle another weapon for defenses to have to adjust to. Goodwin opens up things for everyone. The reason why Goodwin is such a big deal is because we aren't getting McKinnon back this year, and of the guards and Goodwin, I think his injury is the least severe. For a bruise, I figured 1-3 weeks. This also is why Garcon is going nowhere for people who wanted to prematurely get rid of him.

I'm hoping Goodwin can get out there, even as a decoy. Just move him around and run routes that take guys out of the box and draw safety help towards him.

Originally posted by NYniner85:

Was he trying to prove he can long jump farther than Hill? Not sure how that relates to football.
^ Nice 85! Hilarious...

Quis is "limited" today. On the flip side (surprise, surprise), Malcolm Smith is back practicing.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
It's not just Goodwin. It was losing Goodwin and McKinnon. Those two guys were huge pieces in our offense and the passing game in particular. That's like saying, "It's worrisome that Atlanta's offense doesn't run as well without Julio and Devonta Freeman." I'm not saying Goodwin is Julio, but he has a HUGE affect on what the defense does. A lot of it is his speed - think of DeSean Jackson and what he did for his offenses for all those years with his elite speed, but it's how he uses that speed and how when you pair him with a QB who can throw a really accurate ball with anticipation, what that does to defenders. You try and press him - we all saw how Sherman, one of the best press corners, fared with that. You play off him, with Jimmy's release and accuracy, he'll eat your sack lunch all day with a cushion in man-coverage. He's also really slippery and smooth on his breaks so he's really hard to cover in man-coverage. Remember the pinpoint throw Jimmy put on him in the first drive of the Jags game last year? Jalen Ramsey was in coverage and Goodwin was just too good and Jimmy's throw to accurate. Goodwin gets one step on a guy...gone. Remember the video of Aquib Talib trying to cover him in man-coverage drills? Threw up his arms like, "how the heck am I supposed to cover this guy".

Goodwin was a legit #1 receiver with Jimmy. That's why we gave him an extension and pay raise.

Even if you count the Rams game when Goodwin went out as a full game, Goodwin's average per game when Jimmy was playing equals to 1,229 yards over a full season. If you take the 4 games, CHI, HOU, TEN, JAX, it equals 1,424 yards over a 16 game season. He was a legit #1 last year with Jimmy. You take any QB or offense's #1 receiver away and you're going to see a dropoff.

Perfectly stated, JD.
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Was he trying to prove he can long jump farther than Hill? Not sure how that relates to football.

He ran a 4.27 40 time and a 10.1 100 yd dash too
[ Edited by DaBum on Sep 19, 2018 at 2:33 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone