LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

NY Jets HC-Robert Saleh

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by jcs:
I disagree with this because AA has so much potential. Also so far he's had a rookie season and an injured season. We haven't even seen what he is capable of yet.

I watched every game he played at Oregon, the kid can play. Just needs to be healthy and have a chance.

Potential is nothing if it's not realized.

I don't think anyone is doubting that he doesn't have the potential to live up to what is expected. I'm just saying lets give the guy a season before we start saying we need a replacement. Its not like we are trying to win the SB next season anyways

I'd rather focus on other positions and give AA some time to develop, hes only 23. Put a pass rusher like Garrett behind him and some decent linebackers and his play will improve drastically.

I agree 100%. AA flashed his rookie year and it was widely known he would be a bit of a project when he was drafted. From all accounts last TC he looked like one of the most improved players. To judge him as a bust off a rookie year and a year in which he tried to play through an injury is idiotic.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
This is wrong. He had to be doubled almost every play last year until his shoulder limited his effectiveness. Even as a rookie he was often doubled. The guy is a beast. Rewatch the D from last year and you will see that Buckner was washed out more often than Armstead, but Buckner is quicker and can be more effective as a pass rusher. The key to both is to learn to keep lower and maintain leverage...which is true of most tall DL. Campbell was the same way...as was Clowney, who is shorter but still had to learn leverage in the NFL.

Edit: my favorite play by Armstead, and he did it numerous times, was to grab an offensive lineman in each arm, stand up and still make the tackle. Horrible form but so strong that they couldn't move him out of the hole, even with a double.

I hate using PFF but of the starting DLinemen in the league he ranked LAST against the run. The guy I saw actually getting all of the double team attention last year was Buckner...he also wasn't giving up on plays like AA was. Production is the biggest issue...look at the numbers, they don't lie.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
there's the bad news.

Garrett doesn't fit the 4-3 system. You'll get yet another DL, since AA was a bust.

Please enlighten me how does he not fit?

I'm wondering as well
Also how is AA a bust? We drafted him for his potential and after a season people are wanting to cut him.

Pretty much the equivalent of buying a long term stock and dumping it after a week because you don't see the short term results lol.

I remember when it used to take a few seasons to develop a DL now after one season and another season with a nagging shoulder people ready to give up on AA. I wasn't a fan of the pick when they took him but wow that is quick to pull the trigger. It is not like this roster is loaded and we need roster spot or the cap space.
The kid got injured in TC that required surgery after he could no longer play through it, he hasn't really been surround with great coaching, and not to mention why cut him when after only a season and half he still has trade value based on his potential. Guys that really liked him in 2015 draft may be willing to give up something to get him since its easy to argue he was on a mess of franchise and played with injury and they can turn him into something great on their team.

Hopefully the kid gets healthy and improves significantly and can make an impact on this team. I think a lot of you just love Garrett so much that getting rid of AA would free up the spot.
Enter Pete Carroll. Now one of the biggest reasons why this defense is considered a hybrid is because the defensive line mixes between two gapping with certain players (and 3-4 concepts) with one gapping in the traditional 4-3. As you can see here in the 4-3 Under Front, half of the defensive line is two gapping, and the other half is one gapping (Pictures taken from Eric Stoner's impressive article on BCG):

Creating different responsibilities for different players on the line also allow freedom for the linebackers. In a traditional 4-3 under for example, the 4-tech DE above would be shaded more towards the outsider shoulder of the tackle and insider shoulder of the tight end, with control over the gap between the two players. However, by having Red lineup in front of the tackle instead and play two gaps, this gives the SAM, K.J. Wright, more space and leniency in defending the pass, rather than just being stuck on the line of scrimmage. As Carroll explains himself:

"I run (my 4-3 defense) with one gap principles but can also make it work with some two gap principles. In principle we want to give our players a chance to know exactly what they have to defend. We also want to give them an attitude in which to do that. We want to be an attacking, aggressive football team. We don't want to sit and read the play like you often have to with "two-gap" principles of play. We want to attack into the gap at the snap, get off the ball to play on their side of the field and get after the quarterback."

The big problem with any "one-gap" approach however is that it allows a ball carrier to get into the secondary if one guy makes a mistake. No matter how aggressive the defense is there is a great amount of discipline that goes with this defense. You have to be very strict about your positioning and the placement of your players. You have to have the ability to maintain relative spacing between your players.

Creating the Position Archetypes

Having re-written an entire new scheme from scratch, Carroll had to also re-write each position on the front seven's strengths, responsibilities and attributes he was looking for in his players. Below is a compilation of what he wanted in his defensive positions during his time in USC: (Note how the language he uses is an equal mix between what you hear in a 4-3 and what you hear in a 3-4)

On the "One-Technique" Nose Guard: "The nose tackle plays in the A gap to the tight end side of the field in our defense. We have done a number of things with this position based upon the opposition at times. We have put him right in the A gap, we have cocked him on the center at times, and as needed we have even played him in a direct shade technique right over the center at times. The way we play him on base defense is as an inside-foot to outside-foot alignment or a 1 technique on the center to the strong side of the alignment."

"At Nose Tackle you have to find a player who likes to mix it up. We want a big guy in there who likes to get down and dirty. He is going to get doubled a lot on the run and pass and is going to get down blocked a lot. He has to be a tough player. This guy can be a short and stubby type of player."

On the Three-Technique: "The prime spot on the defense to the weak side is the B gap player. He is an inside-foot to outside-foot alignment on the offensive guard to his side. He is a 3 technique player. He has B gap control but he can't get reached or hooked by the defense due to the way we align him. The whole scheme of this defense is predicated upon not getting hooked."

"The 3 technique player should be your premier interior pass rusher. He is going to get a lot of one on one blocks as it is hard to double team him because of where he lines up."

On the "Five-Technique": "The defensive end to the tight end side needs to be a defensive player that can play the run. He does not have to be a big time pass rusher, but he has to play the C gap and stop the run. [He] must works for leverage and force and allow the Free Safety to work off of the him and fills where he is needed on run plays.

On the LEO: "The best pass rusher on the team is usually the defensive end to the open side of the field. That puts him on the quarterback's blind side and makes him a C gap player in this defense. We often align him wider than this in order to give him a better angle of attack and allow him to play in space. We align him a yard outside of the offensive tackle most of the time. He has to play C gap run support but at the same time he is rushing the passer like it is third and ten. He has to be able to close down however if the tackle blocks down on him."

"(He) has to be one of your best football players. Size does not matter as much. We want an athletic player who can move around."

On the SAM: "The Sam linebacker controls the D gap to his side of the field. He is in an inside-foot to outside-foot alignment on the tight end or what most coaches call a 9 technique spot. He can never get reach blocked by the tight end in this position.

"He is the force player for everything run to his side of the field and turns everything back inside to the pursuit. Often he has the tight end in man to man in coverage. He has him anywhere he goes for this defensive call. He never switches if we are in this coverage and will go with him if the tight end does go in motion. He also has to be a good containment player. He has to be big and strong enough to play on the edge of the tight end. He has to be able to run in pass coverage also."

On the MIKE: "The Mike linebacker is in an inside-foot to out-side foot alignment on the offensive guard on his side of the field. He's a traditional middle linebacker. He is instinctive and makes a lot of calls for the defense. He may be the guy with the most experience or the best feel for the game."

On the WILL: "The Will linebacker is aligned against the offensive guard to his side of the field. He is basically a protected player in this alignment and should make a lot of tackles. He has to control his weak-side A gap and play relative to the Mike linebacker and the Free Safety. In coverage, he often plays the short middle.

"The Will linebacker can be a smaller player. He is generally protected in the defensive schemes and will not see as many blocks. All you want him to do most plays is flow and chase the football. We want our fastest linebacker at this position."
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
Originally posted by Since07:
4-3?? Oh hell no

Wade Phillips also says oh hell no.

https://www.getmoresports.com/what-will-wade-phillips-3-4-defense-in-los-angeles-look-like/

Now wade Phillips would have been a great hire for us
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:
I agree 100%. AA flashed his rookie year and it was widely known he would be a bit of a project when he was drafted. From all accounts last TC he looked like one of the most improved players. To judge him as a bust off a rookie year and a year in which he tried to play through an injury is idiotic.

Had we kept Kelly, Baalke, Oneill I would say he probably gets another chance. Again this roster is going to get turned over...possibly 80% of talent won't be here in a year or so and I expect him to be part of that group. There is no loyalty or patience anymore for anyone on this roster with a new HC and GM.
Originally posted by bkbkeahi:
Enter Pete Carroll. Now one of the biggest reasons why this defense is considered a hybrid is because the defensive line mixes between two gapping with certain players (and 3-4 concepts) with one gapping in the traditional 4-3. As you can see here in the 4-3 Under Front, half of the defensive line is two gapping, and the other half is one gapping (Pictures taken from Eric Stoner's impressive article on BCG):

Creating different responsibilities for different players on the line also allow freedom for the linebackers. In a traditional 4-3 under for example, the 4-tech DE above would be shaded more towards the outsider shoulder of the tackle and insider shoulder of the tight end, with control over the gap between the two players. However, by having Red lineup in front of the tackle instead and play two gaps, this gives the SAM, K.J. Wright, more space and leniency in defending the pass, rather than just being stuck on the line of scrimmage. As Carroll explains himself:

"I run (my 4-3 defense) with one gap principles but can also make it work with some two gap principles. In principle we want to give our players a chance to know exactly what they have to defend. We also want to give them an attitude in which to do that. We want to be an attacking, aggressive football team. We don't want to sit and read the play like you often have to with "two-gap" principles of play. We want to attack into the gap at the snap, get off the ball to play on their side of the field and get after the quarterback."

The big problem with any "one-gap" approach however is that it allows a ball carrier to get into the secondary if one guy makes a mistake. No matter how aggressive the defense is there is a great amount of discipline that goes with this defense. You have to be very strict about your positioning and the placement of your players. You have to have the ability to maintain relative spacing between your players.

Having re-written an entire new scheme from scratch, Carroll had to also re-write each position on the front seven's strengths, responsibilities and attributes he was looking for in his players. Below is a compilation of what he wanted in his defensive positions during his time in USC: (Note how the language he uses is an equal mix between what you hear in a 4-3 and what you hear in a 3-4)

On the "One-Technique" Nose Guard: "The nose tackle plays in the A gap to the tight end side of the field in our defense. We have done a number of things with this position based upon the opposition at times. We have put him right in the A gap, we have cocked him on the center at times, and as needed we have even played him in a direct shade technique right over the center at times. The way we play him on base defense is as an inside-foot to outside-foot alignment or a 1 technique on the center to the strong side of the alignment."

"At Nose Tackle you have to find a player who likes to mix it up. We want a big guy in there who likes to get down and dirty. He is going to get doubled a lot on the run and pass and is going to get down blocked a lot. He has to be a tough player. This guy can be a short and stubby type of player."

On the Three-Technique: "The prime spot on the defense to the weak side is the B gap player. He is an inside-foot to outside-foot alignment on the offensive guard to his side. He is a 3 technique player. He has B gap control but he can't get reached or hooked by the defense due to the way we align him. The whole scheme of this defense is predicated upon not getting hooked."

"The 3 technique player should be your premier interior pass rusher. He is going to get a lot of one on one blocks as it is hard to double team him because of where he lines up."

On the "Five-Technique": "The defensive end to the tight end side needs to be a defensive player that can play the run. He does not have to be a big time pass rusher, but he has to play the C gap and stop the run. [He] must works for leverage and force and allow the Free Safety to work off of the him and fills where he is needed on run plays.

On the LEO: "The best pass rusher on the team is usually the defensive end to the open side of the field. That puts him on the quarterback's blind side and makes him a C gap player in this defense. We often align him wider than this in order to give him a better angle of attack and allow him to play in space. We align him a yard outside of the offensive tackle most of the time. He has to play C gap run support but at the same time he is rushing the passer like it is third and ten. He has to be able to close down however if the tackle blocks down on him."

"(He) has to be one of your best football players. Size does not matter as much. We want an athletic player who can move around."

On the SAM: "The Sam linebacker controls the D gap to his side of the field. He is in an inside-foot to outside-foot alignment on the tight end or what most coaches call a 9 technique spot. He can never get reach blocked by the tight end in this position.

"He is the force player for everything run to his side of the field and turns everything back inside to the pursuit. Often he has the tight end in man to man in coverage. He has him anywhere he goes for this defensive call. He never switches if we are in this coverage and will go with him if the tight end does go in motion. He also has to be a good containment player. He has to be big and strong enough to play on the edge of the tight end. He has to be able to run in pass coverage also."

On the MIKE: "The Mike linebacker is in an inside-foot to out-side foot alignment on the offensive guard on his side of the field. He's a traditional middle linebacker. He is instinctive and makes a lot of calls for the defense. He may be the guy with the most experience or the best feel for the game."

On the WILL: "The Will linebacker is aligned against the offensive guard to his side of the field. He is basically a protected player in this alignment and should make a lot of tackles. He has to control his weak-side A gap and play relative to the Mike linebacker and the Free Safety. In coverage, he often plays the short middle.

"The Will linebacker can be a smaller player. He is generally protected in the defensive schemes and will not see as many blocks. All you want him to do most plays is flow and chase the football. We want our fastest linebacker at this position."

Great stuff! This is an excellent breakdown of what we're looking for at each position.
Originally posted by jcs:
I hate using PFF but of the starting DLinemen in the league he ranked LAST against the run. The guy I saw actually getting all of the double team attention last year was Buckner...he also wasn't giving up on plays like AA was. Production is the biggest issue...look at the numbers, they don't lie.

Armstead's mistake was playing injured last year. It was pretty obvious he wasn't using his shoulders and was standing up often to avoid the injury. So I'm not going to hold last year against him. But the key is still learning to play lower and with better leverage. That's true of any lineman but more so the greater the height.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Great stuff! This is an excellent breakdown of what we're looking for at each position.

Agree...but is it a fit or will he have a much different set of decisions with the niners roster?
Very risky hire but Kyle has some background with him and obviously thinks highly of him.

I know he was only quality control coach but he did t 3 years in Seattle learning under Carroll, Quinn and Bradley.

Not excited about this move but Gotta give him a shot, no choice.

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
He'll bring over that winning culture from Jacksonville that Jed wants to establish.

Hiring another guy who's never done the job before.... Get ready for more terrible defense.
Stop talking BS. Lynch and Shanahan hired this guy not Jed.
What happened to Brian Flores?
That's a great breakdown of each position.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Agree...but is it a fit or will he have a much different set of decisions with the niners roster?

In my opinion, its business as usual from a personnel standpoint. Just get good players. I mentioned a few pages back, the players you get for this scheme typically fit a 3-4 as well. Just need to browse through the Seahawks, Falcons, and Jaguars rosters. You will see players with experience and production in both 3-4 and 4-3 alignments.

Reading this tells me AA&Buck CAN work in a 4-3, along with Lynch-Brooks(even if not long term). Harold has a chance at SAM/Leo as well.
Share 49ersWebzone