LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

NY Jets HC-Robert Saleh

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by okdkid:
Obviously, they should have played Julio Jones better...especially down the stretch.

But I'm not going to skewer the guy for it when you consider what he's done this season. Hopefully a lesson learned. Make anybody else beat you.

Yeah. The #1 thing you do offensively is game plan to target defensive weaknesses (think Kyle or Payton targeting Harris and Al-Shaair). The #1 thing you do defensively, is take AWAY their strengths. The fact that Saleh failed at the foundation of defense isc inexcusable. Hopefully he grows but we're seeing some clear patterns to start and end games now esp. when the game is on the defense at the very end. Scary.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
The defense under 2 minutes when needing a stop scares the s**t out of me.

Honest question. Has he ever gotten a stop in the last 3 years?
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Obviously, they should have played Julio Jones better...especially down the stretch.

But I'm not going to skewer the guy for it when you consider what he's done this season. Hopefully a lesson learned. Make anybody else beat you.

Yeah. The #1 thing you do offensively is game plan to target defensive weaknesses (think Kyle or Payton targeting Harris and Al-Shaair). The #1 thing you do defensively, is take AWAY their strengths. The fact that Saleh failed at the foundation of defense isc inexcusable. Hopefully he grows but we're seeing some clear patterns to start and end games now esp. when the game is on the defense at the very end. Scary.

I can't speak for the whole game. But it was obvious on the last play that Saleh called the right defense.

They had Jones bracketed. However, the DB played it too deep. Shanahan confirmed that in his post game.
Seems like we are scared to double team guys. No reason Thomas and Jones weren't double covered.
How? We were up 2 scores in the 4Q. That's 100% on the defense.

Atl handed the o 6 points with the fumble on the 2. Our o only put up 16 points. That won't win many games. I don't think you can let any unit off the hook this week.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Dec 16, 2019 at 9:49 AM ]
Not his best day at the office but let's not overreact. The offense had their chance to win it and failed. All they had to do was run out the clock against a below average falcons defense and they couldn't.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Seems like we are scared to double team guys. No reason Thomas and Jones weren't double covered.

I don't think they're scared to bracket guys. I think they try very hard to not alter their scheme. The problem is that injuries have degraded the impact of a simplistic scheme.
I don't believe he dialed up one single blitz yesterday.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
This dude cannot stop late game winning drive. Every time the offense marches down the field.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Atl handed the o 6 points with the fumble on the 2. Our o only put up 16 points. That won't win many games. I don't think you can let any unit off the hook this week.

Who cares how you get there. You're up 2 scores in the 4Q. That's on the defense to hold. Period.

FWIW, yes, I was not thrilled with the offense...never thrilled with ST ever. Ha
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 16, 2019 at 9:55 AM ]

Who cares how you get there. You're up 2 scores in the 4Q. That's on the defense to hold. Period.

9 points with a quarter to go is not an insurmountable lead by any stretch of the imagination. The o is to blame as well because it simply didn't do enough.

Tough game though as Quinn and Atl knows Shanny like the back of the hand.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Dec 16, 2019 at 9:57 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:

up 2 score in the 4th vs a below 500 team are games we are just supposed to win. blame kyle and dc in large part. injury excuse not withstanding. you slobber all over the dc for what was done in the first half of the year. then you hold him accountable for the games we lost and the defense of the last two games and esp yesterday.. could he ask one of the corners to at least impeded jones a titch at the line instead of just letting him go on a f**king adventure in our defensive backfield
i think the defensive injuries are hurting us right now. we can see that.

Lack of pass rush or pressure. no one could cover Julio, but then again many can't

No Tartt, Kwaun, Sherman, Dee Ford, Our depth on the DL is getting thinner.
Originally posted by lamontb:

I don't think they're scared to bracket guys. I think they try very hard to not alter their scheme. The problem is that injuries have degraded the impact of a simplistic scheme.

Exactly. And it's like the staff hasn't realized that yet. I mean all we had to do was send a few A gap blitzes right in Ryan's face. These weren't quick hitting plays they were running.
I can't speak for the whole game. But it was obvious on the last play that Saleh called the right defense.

They had Jones bracketed. However, the DB played it too deep. Shanahan confirmed that in his post game.

If he was doubled bracketed how did he end up in single coverage on our smallest defender...Ward?

But thanks for the insight!
Share 49ersWebzone